Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:24 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:51 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: 1964 Valiant
GregCon wrote:
I agree the market is small, and that's a killer.

But I also see on Ebay that, for $160, you can buy a set of SS headers like I described for all sorts of mundane vehicles...like 80's vintage BMW's. Are there really that many people fixing up those heaps? For $130 you can buy a SS header for the 03-07 4 cylinder Honda Accord. It's a strange world... :lol:
I've seen BMW headers on Craigs List for cheap, with the buyer warning that they don't fit very well. You have to pay for quality.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:58 pm 
Board Sponsor

Greg Ondayko wrote:
What seems strange and mundane to one is a large market and following for others.

Yes Lots of ri$h folks are into vintage BMW's and lots of young people are into Honda's

Both are more marketable than slants here in the U.S.

Greg
I have an E30, paid $300 because it lacked a title. They're simple cars with good aftermarket support, but motor swaps seem to get more interest than oem mods - usually a later BMW motor. The M20B25 is a 2.5 liter motor that makes 169 horsepower - I'm not sure how the hp is measured. To mod these to 200 hp or greater is very costly. A later small series BMW six will make 240 hp or more and is a bolt in and is as easy to live with as a Honda civic. Stock E30s are not costly cars to own and maintain. Add a turbo or supercharger kit and you can have 350 hp. And then there are LS swaps. There is a Youtuber named Kameron "Kamotors" is his channel. He was a high school kid that was given on old E30 - he didn't know anything about cars at the time, ten years later he sells quality turbo kits. I wish we had turbo kits for the slant six.

Last edited by Tim Keith on Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:03 pm 
Board Sponsor

GregCon wrote:
I know the Ebay headers are cheap, and I don't like cheap stuff ( cheaply made, that is). But I'd also bet they are as good or better quality than the 'long tube' headers currently sold for the Slant Six.

We had a set around 1986, I think they were Mopar Perf (?) and they were junk. Thin flanges that leaked and of course didn't allow for proper tightening when placed alongside the thicker intake manifold.

That's why I am referring to OEM quality. The average Mustang or Camaro or Corvette or even Lexus has a nicely made set of 'headers'.
I have a set of MP six into one headers. I am thinking of welding on thick flanges. Those headers leaked.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:39 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Great looking pipes...the whole engine for that matter!

1977 Chrysler Cordoba
WPC # 12304