Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: 1964 Dart - Carb Setup
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:21 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: 1964 Dart 170
Hi all, new to the forum. Picked up a very straight '64 sedan with a little bit of rust in the trunk pan, but otherwise super clean. Previous owner claims to have rebuilt the 170 with a shaved head and raised compression, judging by the paint condition and new motor mounts, he at least had the engine out.

Then he went and messed up - installed an Offenhauser intake and a 450CFM Holley with no provisions for a choke. It'll start and idle (super high), but dies out when any gas is applied. If I plan to drive this thing, it'll need a choke, not a wannabe racer setup. So it seems the carb needs to go.

I've got a few options I'm looking at. Since it's currently inop and sitting without a muffler, preference will be for cheap (to keep wife happy), quick (to avoid pissing off neighbors with open exhaust), and foolproof (refer previous note on quick). Once it's mobile and I can go get a muffler installed, I can breathe a little easier.

1) I've got the old stock intake and 1-barrel Carter. No ID tag on carb, but PO says is was running on it previously. The old throttle linkage is gone, but I've got a line on the full cable setup from a '65 Slant Valiant w/ AC. Pick that up along with a stock choke, revert to stock, and hope the Carter is truly in functional shape. If not... well...

2) Adapt a 2-barrel of some type to the Offenhauser manifold. Would need to source the right carb and adapter still. The Carter BBDs I'm seeing would all need some re-work on my end, and then figuring out linkage, etc. The Holley 2300 seems popular, but for a (higher compression but otherwise stock) 170 350 CFM is likely overkill - right? I've got the aftermarket cable to make the throttle work already in place.

3) Find a spare stock intake and modify it to accept a two barrel. Offy intake and boy racer carb could be sold off to fund the difference, and start paying for the needed exhaust work. Might be leaning this way, and could do a Weber kit affordably (would have to be "paralell) style mod to use my current throttle cable setup on a Weber)

Thoughts, friends?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:42 am 
1 BBL (New)

Aaand - pics!

https://s211.photobucket.com/user/dbuss ... ent&page=1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:59 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Cool car! Stick or automatic trans? Where are you located?

Personally, I would probably do a BBD or 350 Holley on the Offy intake. Transdapt makes a cheap adapter (~$20) that will fit either one to that intake, and is often available at parts stores, or at least at Summitracing. The stock 1bbl and intake would work well too and might be less work? Get the 65 cable retrofit setup if you can.

Lou

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:09 am 
1 BBL (New)

Thanks! It's a stick, in Dallas TX.

I think the single barrel is the fastest/cheapest route to getting it mobile, provided the Carter I have is in good shape. Anyone have good photos of a stock BBS setup to help ensure I get it back on correct?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:51 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Putting on a 1bbl would mean finding a complete rod-type throttle/kickdown linkage/accelerator pedal linkage setup, which probably already got removed from this car in favour of a cable-type accelerator and throttle linkage, and the cable-type setup is a whole lot more versatile in terms of what carbs you can control.

Brand new manual-choke 318 BBD here. If you have an automatic transmission, see this thread for kickdown options.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:21 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
You should be able to get the engine to idle well with the Holley 450, but the driveability may not be that hot. I would check for vacuum leaks to include the PCV and then check the secondary throttle to make sure it's not open too far and causing the high idle. This may be the fastest and cheapest. The 4 bbl you have is ultimately not the best, but you own it. If it were mine I would keep the intake manifold and top it with a Weber DGEV even if I had to modify or fabricate an adapter. The Holley 350 is a bit much for a stock-ish 170, but a smaller Autolite 2100 would/should work well as would a Carter BBD. Your existing aftermarket cable throttle should be adaptable to any of these solutions.

The stock Carter BBS will not work with the cable linkage. There were some replacement carbs that had provisions for both the rod and cable linkages, but those aren't common.

Is it safe to assume you've checked the valve lash?

I noticed in the pictures a disconnected orange ignition box. What ignition are you running?

I like the Starion. I had a very nice '87 Conquest some years ago.