Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:33 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 57 Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:05 am 
Poser

Car Model:
slantzilla wrote:
wvenable wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRz_quXLp0o

Yep, Mopar guys are like that. Especially guys from Kentucky.

Says the guy from Southern Indiana...... :oops:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUfbE69JJyI

God's country!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:13 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1963 Dart 270, 1980 D150
slantzilla wrote:
If you want to see a car with holes, look up a "Swiss cheese Pontiac".

Yeah......I like that one a lot. I especially like the aluminum exhaust manifolds.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:29 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
drgonzo wrote:
slantzilla wrote:
If you want to see a car with holes, look up a "Swiss cheese Pontiac".

Yeah......I like that one a lot. I especially like the aluminum exhaust manifolds.

At the MCACN show a few years ago they had all of the original cars except 1, and even had the wagon. Awesome pieces of history for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:28 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

There's no doubt the Slant six is full of good design ideas, way better than the Ford and GM 6's of the day. But that doesn't allow you to make the leap to say the Chrysler engineers were up to some genius multi-pulsation tuning.

Holes....well, I guess you'd have to tell people "My Dart runs 11's in the quarter. At least, 7/8ths of it does!"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:59 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Quote:
Don't use oversize valves- don't ever put a 198 rod in a 225

Yeah! Never ever do these or any of the other science-based upgrades people have done with good results! It doesn't work! A self-described punk on meth said so on the internet, so there!
:roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:01 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: 1964 Valiant
I'm going drill holes in my 198 rods to lighten them. Next, I'll be told that the Singh grooves don't work :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:44 pm 
Poser

Car Model:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkSWyvkmobQ

But wait there is more........Part 2.....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:59 pm 
Board Sponsor

The 1st video already has 106,000 views.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:51 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
What he says in the first video, is not inconsistent with has been written on allpar. Before making any judgement's, let's see how his car runs on the strip.

The proof is in the time slip.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:39 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
I wonder how many views every thread on our site has had in the last year, or 5 years? 106,000 views shows the power of marketing and choice of media. We are experiencing this onslaught every day. Accuracy and knowledge has a very tough time competing against a slick presentation in a format that is very popular.

In other words, I wonder what it would take for us to make a video like this with accurate info, that was snazzy and attractive to view? We might consider how we might potentially combine forces with someone like this to convey more consistently accurate info.

Another thing to consider is that it is very easy to criticize someone making a presentation. It is much, much harder to actually MAKE a presentation. I am not defending the facts/ideas presented here, just making a statement. Props to him for bothering to talk about our orphan engines.

I also like Kesteb's statement. It is much, much easier to criticize someone else's car or methods, or talk about your car's potential "when it's done," than it is to actually BUILD and RUN a car on a track.

Lou

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:58 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: Slant Six M37
Dart270 wrote:
I wonder how many views every thread on our site has had in the last year, or 5 years? 106,000 views shows the power of marketing and choice of media. We are experiencing this onslaught every day. Accuracy and knowledge has a very tough time competing against a slick presentation in a format that is very popular.

In other words, I wonder what it would take for us to make a video like this with accurate info, that was snazzy and attractive to view? We might consider how we might potentially combine forces with someone like this to convey more consistently accurate info.

Another thing to consider is that it is very easy to criticize someone making a presentation. It is much, much harder to actually MAKE a presentation. I am not defending the facts/ideas presented here, just making a statement. Props to him for bothering to talk about our orphan engines.

I also like Kesteb's statement. It is much, much easier to criticize someone else's car or methods, or talk about your car's potential "when it's done," than it is to actually BUILD and RUN a car on a track.

Lou

I agree, making a video from the knowledge base here would be quite a accomplishment. It might be do-able if there were a handful of people that were willing/interested in being interviewed, not to provide a counterpoint so much as to provide a variety of the scope of what is possible...

Furthermore, I am fully enjoying the sense of humor that has arisen here on the forum by Mr. Mopar's attempt at creating his encyclopedia of slant six.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:35 pm 
Board Sponsor

His Youtube channel is only a few months old. You have to give him credit for his video on the slant six getting 136,000 views after just 4 days! I agree with his focus in the 2nd video that a turbo or supercharger is the best way to achieve lots of power. He is impressed with a recent TorqStorm project for a customer. Anyone with ongoing paying customers is probably doing something right. If he could show how to build a reliable turbocharged daily driver - on a budget.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:47 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Math time.

Uncle Tony claims his Dart weight 2000lbs. If he drops a "stock" 225 that produces the advertised 145 HP. His car should run a 13.97 at 96.75 mph. If he chooses to do an "export" version with 160 HP, his car should run a 13.52 at 99.97 mph.

Now "stock" can mean many things. Apparently a South African police car used a dual carb long runner intake, split exhaust and a "special" cam to produce 180HP. This combo will produce a 13.0 at 103.98.

It will be interesting what his "stock" engine will run.

(All calculations using the Wallace Racing calculators)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:25 am 
Turbo Slant 6

It would take a lot of holes to get a Dart to 1800lbs. which is what it would need to weigh with a 200lbs driver inside

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:29 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Quote:
make a video like this with accurate info, that was snazzy and attractive to view

that is a great idea, I would support that but for me it would need to be scheduled for the off season, if I am ever to get
the 68 Barracuda back on the road this season

Just putting this out there, but maybe a series of 3 to less than 10 minute videos, with each video done by a member here at .org that has a
good knowledge or skill in a specific part or characteristic of the slant motor. Basically a 21st century update to the current 'articles' section.

To keep integrity and product standards up, there would need to be a chair person (or a small board of persons) with review and approve or reject with recommended improvement
responsibility. I believe each video should have a pre planned outlined script. With the script submitted to the chair person - board for pre review. The script should be a very basic description of what you plan to present. This last step will help the presenter as a way to organize your process and save your time as a presenter.

Chapters for consideration
1) overview and history of the slant six

2) Slant sixes in use in today's world: Daily Drivers, Drag racing, Autocross, Lemons style racing

3) Basic upgrades and daily driver maintenance
a) HEI or other ignition
b) oil pump relief spring cleaning, valve lash adjustment
c) Tune up, set timing, change points, change spark plugs, adjust carb
c) basic carb-intake-exhaust-timing chain upgrades

4) Performance upgrades
a) cam shaft selection and cam install tips
b) air flow, OS valves, porting
c) machining, block head-decking, oversizing bores, line boring, studs vs bolts
d) bottom end, bearings, clearances
e) oiling improvements, from ported oil pumps to external pump-dry sump
f) pistons, rods, intake, exhaust
g) turbo charging, super charging
h) fuel injection
i) performance carbs
j) gas vs e85 vs alcohol
k) selecting the components for your engine and engine assembly tips,

The subject list and format mentioned is not intended to be the final version. It is a way to show what could be could be done and to
encourage input to the discussion.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 57 Next