Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:15 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:37 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
I have been kicking around the idea of doing a video series to put on YouTube about the slant six. I have a fully disassembled 83 hydraulic lifter 225 as well as a freshly rebuilt solid lifter 225 in my garage. My idea was to rebuild the hydraulic motor and discuss each step in detail along with options for modifications and upgrades with the final video talking about break-in proceures. The older hydraulic lifter engine could be used to reference the difference between the forged and cast crank engines and the hydraulic and solid lifter cam engines. Once the 83 engine was rebuilt and installed in my 76 D100, I could use my truck as a demonstration vehicle for the common upgraes like late model alternator and starter, the HEI ignition upgrade, etc...since a 76 D100 is about as complicated a vehicle as an early A body and many of the non-suspension updrages could be demonstrate don the truck. I would write the script for each episode and circulate it for comment among the sages on this site (who were willing to contribute their time and knowledge) to ensure accuracy and completeness of information. Or, there could be a rotating roster of contributor who could focus on one upgrae on their vehicle, such as someone rebuilding the suspension on an A body or F body could do a video about that and add it to the series, or someone working on a transmission could add a video, etc...

This would be quite an undertaking and would take a large commitment of money, time, and resources to finish. So it probably will never happen, especially given the small and dwindling audience for slant six related information. But if it DID get done it would be a way to preserve the hundreds of years of experience with slant sixes that exists within the slant six community.

Just an idea.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:50 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Keep in mind that long-winded explanations may be helpful to a few people, but part of the attraction of the subject of this thread (Tony's youtube vid) is that everything is neat and tidy and short (and almost always oversimplified). What sounds good is what sells. I'm not saying don't make your videos, but consider how many more people will look/listen if you keep things as simple as you can. Maybe some simple "quick tips" videos and then more detailed "how to" videos with gory detail.

As a related side note: One reason people don't like listening to scientists is that we usually don't like to say things without qualifiers or lots of detail. Life is complicated, nature is complicated - more than we can possibly imagine. People prefer ingesting quick fixes and short quotes/soundbytes, which helps them lead their lives without confronting how complicated life is. Of course, this is often a very good coping mechanism for being human. Sorry, now I am rambling - haha!!

Lou

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:00 pm 
Supercharged

Dart270 wrote:
Keep in mind that long-winded explanations may be helpful to a few people, but part of the attraction of the subject of this thread (Tony's youtube vid) is that everything is neat and tidy and short (and almost always oversimplified). What sounds good is what sells. I'm not saying don't make your videos, but consider how many more people will look/listen if you keep things as simple as you can. Maybe some simple "quick tips" videos and then more detailed "how to" videos with gory detail.

As a related side note: One reason people don't like listening to scientists is that we usually don't like to say things without qualifiers or lots of detail. Life is complicated, nature is complicated - more than we can possibly imagine. People prefer ingesting quick fixes and short quotes/soundbytes, which helps them lead their lives without confronting how complicated life is. Of course, this is often a very good coping mechanism for being human. Sorry, now I am rambling - haha!!

Lou

I agree completely. I have been around long enough to have learned that the short answer is almost aways incomplete, if not wrong. Like you say, life is very complex, often too complex to the shortened to a soundbite.

My theory would be to pick a specific thing, give the basics of what it was and what it does, explain how it works in the slant six, and give a short summary of possible upgrades or modifications. I wouldn't dream of getting into something like camshaft selection except to talk about it in VERY broad terms. But things like oiling system modification, valve sizes, carb choice, etc... could be talked about in short and manageable bites.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:58 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: 1964 Valiant
Reed wrote:
I have been kicking around the idea of doing a video series to put on YouTube about the slant six. I have a fully disassembled 83 hydraulic lifter 225 as well as a freshly rebuilt solid lifter 225 in my garage. My idea was to rebuild the hydraulic motor and discuss each step in detail along with options for modifications and upgrades with the final video talking about break-in proceures. The older hydraulic lifter engine could be used to reference the difference between the forged and cast crank engines and the hydraulic and solid lifter cam engines. Once the 83 engine was rebuilt and installed in my 76 D100, I could use my truck as a demonstration vehicle for the common upgraes like late model alternator and starter, the HEI ignition upgrade, etc...since a 76 D100 is about as complicated a vehicle as an early A body and many of the non-suspension updrages could be demonstrate don the truck. I would write the script for each episode and circulate it for comment among the sages on this site (who were willing to contribute their time and knowledge) to ensure accuracy and completeness of information. Or, there could be a rotating roster of contributor who could focus on one upgrae on their vehicle, such as someone rebuilding the suspension on an A body or F body could do a video about that and add it to the series, or someone working on a transmission could add a video, etc...

This would be quite an undertaking and would take a large commitment of money, time, and resources to finish. So it probably will never happen, especially given the small and dwindling audience for slant six related information. But if it DID get done it would be a way to preserve the hundreds of years of experience with slant sixes that exists within the slant six community.

Just an idea.

Do the videos like Kent Bergsma does in his Mercedes Source videos - wearing a lab coat in a clean well organized shop. I had not much thought about owning a Benz until I watched Kent's videos. For too long the slant six has been presented as a cheapo beater motor that endures abuse. Bergsma shows plenty of poorly maintained "million mile" motors that didn't get to 200,000 miles and he tells you how to properly maintain them. Do videos to expunge the grunge from the duece and the quarter. There are some beautifully restored cars and trucks in this forum - show them.

A Youtube channel can smolder for awhile before it gets a lot of traffic. Present quality material and there will gradually be more subscribers. Kent Bergsma's work has probably helped save hundreds of old Mercedes Benzs. Sadly, slant six cars sold in much greater numbers than Mercedes, but probably as many old Benzs are on the road as slant six cars. There's a man in Austin who parts out solid A bodies that could be restored. Maybe we can help save some cars.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:51 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
Devils Advocate...……..

I don't like watching videos on a computer. (my sisters are the same way)

I have my laptop on my lap while the TV is on.

I can split my attention between the TV and the laptop(if it's not a video). It very difficult to watch a video and the TV at the same time.

I don't like watching 15 minutes of video for 2 minutes of information. I don't like watching/listening to someone who likes to hear themselves talk. It's really irritating when there's no minutes of information.

I can speed read on the laptop (and slow down for the interesting/important sections) and look at the pictures (which are useful compared to a video). A 15 second gif or video is fine under some circumstances.

If I've missed something, it's easy to backtrack and reread a section. Rewinding video's looking for what I've missed is a pain.

watching history channel right now too...........

8)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:35 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: 68 Valiant
Precisely. Most 'instructional' videos give you 1 minute of information but require you to watch 15 minutes of blather. Plus, they leave out 2 of the 5 key items any rational person would want to know. Too many times I've watched a video and said to myself 'a book would have told me this in 12 seconds....'

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:57 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
I agree, some of the you tube videos are done by morons, but I have also found car repair videos that are simple and informative.
My wife’s 2011 Nissan Altima recently had a rear wheel bearing get noisy. I went on
You tube and found a 20 minute video a couple of guys made while changing the same wheel hub,
in a parking lot, at night,,,,
They included the metric wrench sizes, shot a few frames at each step in the disassembly and reassembly process.
Absolutely nothing fancy. Was more than enough to show me what I was getting into for the repair that I did.

For me, the value of the video is in the information provided.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:32 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Some of the best Mopar tips I've gotten are from a guy named Tyler at Tyler's Neighborhood Garage on YouTube. It's not as informative as this site, but he walked me step by step through restoring the heater core and flapper valve restoration.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:07 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
I totally agree that reading/scanning text, with a few pictures/illustrations, is far more efficient than watching videos.

However, efficient and effective reading takes serious skill and training (even assuming the written work is put together well). Watching videos does not, and thus they are taking over.

Lou

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:40 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: 1964 Valiant
coconuteater64 wrote:
Some of the best Mopar tips I've gotten are from a guy named Tyler at Tyler's Neighborhood Garage on YouTube. It's not as informative as this site, but he walked me step by step through restoring the heater core and flapper valve restoration.
I've watched Tyler's videos for a long time. His latest is about avoiding HEI conversions. I hadn't heard of problems with the HEI modules. Now I have.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:38 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
Tim Keith wrote:
I've watched Tyler's videos for a long time. His latest is about avoiding HEI conversions. I hadn't heard of problems with the HEI modules. Now I have.

Cheap HEI modules aren't any better than any other Chinesium ignition parts. I have a friend who adapted a new Chinese Pontiac V8 distributor to his '51 Packard. He had a misfire under load. I gave him an original GM module out of a 1978 Chevy distributor and it cured the misfire.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:12 pm 
Supercharged

I have given up on buying cheap parts anymore. I always get the most expensive my budget will allow. The crap coming out of China is horrid these days.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:21 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Reed wrote:
I have given up on buying cheap parts anymore. I always get the most expensive my budget will allow. The crap coming out of China is horrid these days.

The problem with that is, there is no gaurentee you will get any better quality. I bought a Raybestos bearing hub assy for a FWD vehicle, thinking quality. It was the exact same part I could have gotten for half the price at Advance. I called Raybestos to complain, and was told that they had nothing to do with that part, they just license the use of their name.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:55 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: 68 Valiant
If I find time, I'm going to look into an MSD Ready to Run distributor for my 225. That, IMO, is the best that's out there if you don't want to run a separate 'ignition box'.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:51 am 
Supercharged

Charrlie_S wrote:
Reed wrote:

The problem with that is, there is no gaurentee you will get any better quality. I bought a Raybestos bearing hub assy for a FWD vehicle, thinking quality. It was the exact same part I could have gotten for half the price at Advance. I called Raybestos to complain, and was told that they had nothing to do with that part, they just license the use of their name.

True. Sad, but true.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next