Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:13 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:12 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: 1964 Valiant
2,000 Youtube "pounds" is what it is, but the video has 159,179 views! There is a lot of interest in these cool old motors.. I remember a magazine article where lightweight parts were used on a Duster to reach a claimed 2,400 pounds - I doubted that at the time, but I'd use plastic parts before I made Swiss cheese of the car. Still, his video has got a lot of views.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:07 am 
Board Sponsor

214,604 views. The Toyota 7MGE is under square (3.27 in × 3.58 inch bore ) and those can make 400 hp with a turbo. The Cummins 6BT is under square ( 4.72 inch stroke) and it can make power. I think he is correct that turbocharging a slant six makes sense - if you can afford it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:07 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
There's a few on this board well north of 400, some over 600. Nobody disputes that putting a turbo on anything makes power. However, you could put a suit on this guy and he's still an asshat. Just shows what it takes to get views on YouTube. How many of those hits do you suppose watched more than 22 seconds or just clicked on for the comedy or it? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:11 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1963 Dart 270, 1980 D150
slantzilla wrote:
There's a few on this board well north of 400, some over 600. Nobody disputes that putting a turbo on anything makes power. However, you could put a suit on this guy and he's still an asshat. Just shows what it takes to get views on YouTube. How many of those hits do you suppose watched more than 22 seconds or just clicked on for the comedy or it? :mrgreen:

This is why they make 31 flavors of ice cream. :lol: We don't all like the same stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:18 pm 
Board Sponsor

He has a valid point.

Leave It Alone!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFJ7ft0uBc0

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:08 pm 
SL6 Racer

Car Model:
10-4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:29 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: '23 T-bucket
Ya know, I can't help but wonder how much income he generated off just us, from all the visits we've made to his channel. Maybe that's the whole reason he makes the vids, is just to generate income. Doesn't matter if he's right or wrong, as long as folks view his vids.

Just a thought.....Roger.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:26 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: 1984 D100 Shorty Custom
As I understand it, one million views nets you approximately $1,000, assuming you qualify for monetization. To be qualified, you need to have a minimum amount of subscribers, a minimum amount of uploaded content, and a minimum amount of content views.

I don't have the kind of time it would take to make a living making videos.

That being said, I would be absolutely interested in making factual videos related to the slant six. All I would need is the info to be presented and I can do the rest.

~THOR~

Part of Tyrde-Browne Racing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:22 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
slantzilla wrote:

1) He's not an inexperienced Newb
2) That said, He has repeated a number of old wive's Slanty tales that are simply untrue, including the
"It were supposed to be Al-U-minimum's why the block's so stout" saw...
3) He's correct about the rod angle/block height/stroke relationships, but there's no easy way to fix that so....
4) I've never put larger valves in anything that didn't make a noticeable amount of improvement in power top to bottom in the RPM band,..... the ? is whether One does it correctly, or F's it up.
5) It's no secret that long stroke engines have a higher port velocity for a given displacement, and that shorter runners make more max output on just about everything if that's the target. I have 4 different formulas for calculating CA/length for int & exh runners, which is spot on??? Maybe none of 'em.
6) Agree or disagree w/Tony's various comments, I'm not gonna run Him down for talkin' about the Slanty, it's getting attention for Our venerable mill. I don't see a downside there.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:02 pm 

I'm a member of some other Slant/Mopar boards and 2 Facebook Slant pages. The amount of misinformation out there is already monumental. Guys on YouTube regurgitating incorrect information don't really help us.

But hey, bad press is better than no press, right? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:13 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 66 Valiant, 82 D150, 94 Ram 2500 TCD, 69 Dart
Quote:
That being said, I would be absolutely interested in making factual videos related to the slant six. All I would need is the info to be presented and I can do the rest.

Hey Bobby, if you decide to do this, I could probably lend a hand. I've made videos and done technical writing before. I'm not any kind of slant expert, but given the info from someone who IS an expert, I can help turn it into a good product. Reach out if you decide to go down this road.

Zach

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:04 am 
Turbo Slant 6

There are three topics you shouldn't even bother bringing up. Abortion, politics, and the Slant Six engine.

Actually, though, what's the point in making videos that cover the Slant Six? As great an engine it is, they don't make them anymore. The supply seems to more or less match the demand.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:01 am 

Car Model:
This would attract racers to our series and possibly drive a larger market for developing aftermarket parts (variety). This will never be a large market, but it could be 2-5X larger and that would help our community.

I would be willing to help some, but cannot coordinate the effort.

Lou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:51 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: 1984 D100 Shorty Custom
DadTruck wrote:

Basically a 21st century update to the current 'articles' section.

This would be excellent IMO, since the info is already there and easy to recite.

DadTruck wrote:

To keep integrity and product standards up, there would need to be a chair person (or a small board of persons) with review and approve or reject with recommended improvement
responsibility. I believe each video should have a pre planned outlined script. With the script submitted to the chair person - board for pre review. The script should be a very basic description of what you plan to present. This last step will help the presenter as a way to organize your process and save your time as a presenter.

I think this could be done fairly easily. My suggestion would be for a video to be made, and posted here for people to critique before it goes live.

DadTruck wrote:
Chapters for consideration
1) overview and history of the slant six
2) Slant sixes in use in today's world: Daily Drivers, Drag racing, Autocross, Lemons style racing
3) Basic upgrades and daily driver maintenance
a) HEI or other ignition
b) oil pump relief spring cleaning, valve lash adjustment
c) Tune up, set timing, change points, change spark plugs, adjust carb
c) basic carb-intake-exhaust-timing chain upgrades

4) Performance upgrades
a) cam shaft selection and cam install tips
b) air flow, OS valves, porting
c) machining, block head-decking, oversizing bores, line boring, studs vs bolts
d) bottom end, bearings, clearances
e) oiling improvements, from ported oil pumps to external pump-dry sump
f) pistons, rods, intake, exhaust
g) turbo charging, super charging
h) fuel injection
i) performance carbs
j) gas vs e85 vs alcohol
k) selecting the components for your engine and engine assembly tips,

The subject list and format mentioned is not intended to be the final version. It is a way to show what could be could be done and to
encourage input to the discussion.

I think this is a good start for a list. Though I'm sure there's a lot more we can add.

I've got sound/video editing software, I've got cameras and sound equipment, all I need is time, info and pieces to use for visual aid.

~THOR~

Part of Tyrde-Browne Racing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:17 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
The review on this forum prior to posting is a fine idea.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next