Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:49 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Carter BBS vacuum lines?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:28 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: 1964 Dart 270
So I am rebuilding the BBS in my 64 dart. Carb is original with tags and my rebuild kit for the tag has all the correct gaskets. Previous owner messed some stuff up (that I fixed) but I have questions about some vacuum ports.

First off the nipple for the port to the distributor came out with the vacuum line. Are these press fit in or do I need to JB Weld it back in or something?

There is another port on driver side with a nipple about same size as distributor line that wasn't hooked up to anything. Looks like it is in the spot in the manual for later carbs that goes to air cleaner (my air cleaner has no provision). I assume I need to block that one off?

On driver side on throttle body there is a small hole just above the throttle plate, it is smooth not threaded and about the size of the idle adjusting screw not counting the threaded part. What is this and what can I do with it?

I did look at the online manual but there were no pics of carbs as early as mine and I know mine has a lot less emission provisions.

Any help is appreciated.

Brandon

https://www.flickr.com/photos/162600228@N03/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:25 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Updated my Flickr with pics in my sig if anyone can help.

Blocking off the spare vac port on driver side but not sure what to do with the hole by throttle plate.

Brandon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:15 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
The 1965 service manual calls that hole, throttle body vent. Its supposed to be there and open. Not all carbs got the holes,just some. Holley used that same type hole. General motors used notched gaskets for same purpose. Leave it alone,if you must block it, use a small piece of duct tape from outsde.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:26 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Thanks for the reply, I'll leave it be and see how it runs then.

Brandon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:31 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=109 The 1965 plymouth manual page 14-17 fig. 8

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:05 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:15 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:33 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
OGLeanDart270 wrote:
So I am rebuilding the BBS in my 64 dart. Carb is original with tags and my rebuild kit for the tag has all the correct gaskets. Previous owner messed some stuff up (that I fixed) but I have questions about some vacuum ports.

First: sharp Dart!

Second: Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download.

Quote:
the nipple for the port to the distributor came out with the vacuum line. Are these press fit in or do I need to JB Weld it back in or something?

Tap it back in with a small hammer. It should stay firmly. If not, you can apply a small amount of JBW.

Quote:
There is another port on driver side with a nipple about same size as distributor line that wasn't hooked up to anything

That goes to your choke pull-off.

Quote:
Looks like it is in the spot in the manual for later carbs that goes to air cleaner

1. No. The thermostatic air cleaner vacuum port is down near the base, on carbs so equipped. Yours is not.

2. It sounds like you are trying to use a Chilton or Haynes manual that pretends to cover multiple years of car. Burn it before it costs you money and blood, and get the real factory service manual as described in this thread. For now you can get closer to accurate information with the '65 Plymouth manual available for download here.

Quote:
On driver side on throttle body there is a small hole just above the throttle plate

That's supposed to be there. Leave it be. It's a calibration hole that smooths out the transition from idle to main-feed fuel circuits, and also affects vacuum spark advance operation.

While we're at it: Tune-up parts and technique suggestions in this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:25 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Thanks for all the help guys.

I completely forgot about the choke line, I was looking for lines in the engine bay. Turns out the new line and choke parts were staring right at me on the workbench.

And thanks for the links Dan, I had found some of your posts in my search (which is why you can see gaskets doubled up on the airhorn). I didn't think to look in my service manual as I was being lazy and looking on the web. Scratch one up to learning where to look first haha.

Bought my first slant six (which is a Duster collecting Dust in my brothers possession now) when Doug was featured in the Mopar Action articles back in the nineties. Looked for two years before I ended up finding the Dart I have now.

Brandon