Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:09 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:34 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
I got my Holley 1920 torn down. The economizer block on my carb. moves side to side. It seems like a lot. It pushes against two check balls below the pivot point and it has an arm that looks like it pushes up on a third.that is above. It looks like it could miss the third check ball due to this movement. Does the pin that holds it in place move? It seems like it isn't all the way in and in the hole on the back side of the block which is allowing the side to side movement. Curved arrows in pictures show direction of movement. Single arrow shows third location actuated by the block. After cleaning should I tap on the to try to get it all the way in?
Also the cap above the check weight was way too small and fell out along with the check weight. Any thoughts on how this would affect operation?

Attachments:
Check weight.jpg
Check weight.jpg [ 248.08 KiB | Viewed 3025 times ]
File comment: Curved arrow shows direction of movement the other arrows shows third point the block should hit.
EconomizerBlock2a.jpg
EconomizerBlock2a.jpg [ 217.09 KiB | Viewed 3025 times ]
File comment: Curved arrow shows direction of movement
EconomizerBlock.jpg
EconomizerBlock.jpg [ 162.08 KiB | Viewed 3025 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:37 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Never mind. This morning I decided &#@% it and went ahead and gently tapped it with a small hammer. The pin moved further in and engaged the hole on the back side. I had to realign it and it snapped into place. It is much tighter now and to movement is more vertical like it is supposed to be.
This and the other issue with the loose cap on the check weight is why I hate paying people to do stuff. I paid a lot of money to have a mechanic go through this car when I first got it. I paid more to the mechanic than I paid for the car. And almost everything he did turned out to be poorly done. A carburetor rebuild was one of the things he did. The carburetor is still clean but it wasn't put together well.
I've got a 2016 Fiesta ST. I was at the dealership for some warranty work. I had them do an oil change while they had it. A few days later I noticed an oil leak. They didn't tighten the freaking oil filter. It wasn't even hand tight, it was wiggly loose! It was just luck that it didn't fall off and dump all of the oil.
I don't mind paying for work. Specially on something I'm not that good at. I am a barely competent shade tree mechanic. But so far that level of competence is greater than many of the professionals I have hired.
Sorry for the rant.
Brant.
PS Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention, Flakes.

Vista is in Northern San Diego County.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:27 pm 
Site Admin

Car Model: 2023 Eichman Digger?
No problem with the rant.

Your going to find that most mechanics these days aren't going to have a clue about Carbs or non-electronic cars.

Basically, self rescue is going to be the ticket.

There are some old school mechanics out there, but they are becoming few and far between.

CJ