Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:06 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: 225 oil pump replacement
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:21 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: 1965 Dodge A100 Pickup w/Super Six
Rebuilding a slant from 1965. Looks to be in pretty good wearwise but looked like it may have laid on its side at some time and had some dirt in the water pump. I had Oregon Camshafts put an 819 grind on the cam. Right now I am looking at the oil pump, can you test it? Question is. Keep the oil pump that goes with the reground cam? New available is Sealed Power 4165-C, milling M-66, or Melling M-66HV? Thoughts gentlemen???

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:59 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
If the original pump can be lubricated and spun freely, and the gear and internals are not rusted much, then I would use it (or try it out). They are not hard to replace when in the car. You could also find a junkyard/used pump that is stock and use it with the reground cam. It does not need to be the same pump used with the original cam.

I am not sure new replacement pumps are durable enough (gears may still be soft material), but maybe someone else knows. I have old used pumps in all of my good motors, including the ones I race. I have used a few replacement pumps, but only ones made in the early 90s or earlier.

This has been a long discussion topic and folks have different ideas about this.

My 2 cents,
Lou

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:10 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: 1965 Dodge A100 Pickup w/Super Six
Thanks Lou. Now I value higher, not only the oil pump that came with the engine, but the one I am currently running in my truck. I really appreciate the education that I receive from you guy on this website. Thank you!! I bought my truck, with it's slant six, because it was the only clean example I could find. I had a couple of friends who told me "slants are really cool engines." They started me to thinking this would be a great addition to my project instead of my own, knee jerk reaction, "put a V8 in it." It's an evolution, but I really dig flying down the freeway in my A100, slant six, statement!

Gary

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:07 am 

Car Model:
Sounds great, Gary. Let us know how your oil pump and buildup go.

Best,
Lou

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:04 am 

Car Model: 68 Valiant
I used my $12 Autozone clearance sale pump on the motor in my Valiant. I cut the filter open every oil change and have not found any metal yet. That was on a used cam of unknown specs that had sat under Mike's workbench for 20 years.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 7:59 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: 84 D-100
a100gary wrote:
Rebuilding a slant from 1965. Looks to be in pretty good wearwise but looked like it may have laid on its side at some time and had some dirt in the water pump. I had Oregon Camshafts put an 819 grind on the cam. Right now I am looking at the oil pump, can you test it? Question is. Keep the oil pump that goes with the reground cam? New available is Sealed Power 4165-C, milling M-66, or Melling M-66HV? Thoughts gentlemen???

I’ve heard, from a really reliable guy, that you should avoid the aftermarket HV pumps, for the simple and understandable reason that they’re hard on the gears. The original pump, in good condition (specs to check it are in the FSM) is fine. Slant sixes were never known to die from oil issues. Or, if you get a pump from a hydraulic lifter engine, it’s a bit higher volume without hurting gears. Thats what I’ll be using in my ex-hydraulic/converted to solids engine.