Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:56 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:30 pm 
Around 1990 when we had a restaurant here in Gainesboro, TN, an old man(even older than I)used to come in to eat with us and we, one day, got to talking about engine oil. He said that his /6 had never had anything except transmission fluid in th' crankcase

I said I would have to see it to believe it. He invited me ot pull th' dipstick and look - which I did. It was pink and WAS transmission fluid! This engine had well over 100k on it. Quiet, no knocks at all.

He said he always put th' same thing in th' crankcase that he put in th' transmission.

He is dead and gone now but there are folks around here that went with me to do th' look-see.

I have not had th' courage to do so as yet....

Any comments?

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:37 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
All I can say is...

[Moe Sizlak]WHA????? :shock: [/Moe Sizlak]

New one on me. I suppose it'd be equal to about straight 20W and would allow good protection of any parts that'd actually be rubbing.

This intriques me though.

Know how they always build a better idiot? That's me

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:09 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
?????

-D.Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:20 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
DusterIdiot wrote:
Which side was that dipstick on?

Damnit man you made me snort my coke :cry:

Soda that is...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:49 pm 
Contributor

Car Model: 1964 Valiant convertible 225 automatic
Year ago, we put kerosene into our farm vehicle engines after they were overhauled. We would log a couple hundred miles or a day of operation and then change to regular oil.

Except for the high detergent qualities of ATF, I suppose it would work fine if you didn't hotrod the car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:49 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
ATF would be like running super high detergent 10 weight. I think you could get away with it if you didn't beat the crap out of the motor. It would stay really clean anyway. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 4:34 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Anyone brave enough to try this? I volunteer Duster idiot! and if sucessfull will repack my wheelbearings with vaseline, on a serious note knew someone in high school who ran 1 qt. 10/40 and 5qts kerosene in a 302 Mustang and I have in the past replaced 3 qts oil with kerosene within a 100 miles of the oil change and then dumped the whole mess out and refilled with fresh 15/40....Dave

Last edited by mighty mouse 63 on Wed Aug 13, 2003 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 4:47 pm 
Guru

Car Model:
You may get away with this if the ATF was used from the start in a clean engine, it sure would keep the engine clean inside!

If you decided to dump ATF into a well used / slugged-up engine, my bet is that you would kill it fast, all that crap inside would come loose and clog the oil pick-up.....Knock, knock..... :cry:

If it did not die from clogging, the motor would start to leak and smoke as all the build-up inside desolved away.
DD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 4:55 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Doc wrote:
You may get away with this if the ATF was used from the start in a clean engine, it sure would keep the engine clean inside!

If you decided to dump ATF into a well used / slugged-up engine, my bet is that you would kill it fast, all that crap inside would come loose and clog the oil pick-up.....Knock, knock..... :cry:

If it did not die from clogging, the motor would start to leak and smoke as all the build-up inside desolved away.
DD

I've always been told that running a quart of ATF with 4 quarts of 10w-30, then changing it after 500-1000 miles will clean the engine out good. I still think it'd knock stuff loose instead of a slow cleaning though.

That's why I'm such a fan of synthetics. They absorb the crud and don't leave their own. My engine's clean as a whistle now with 193K miles on it and no abnormal sounds at all (in the engine anyway). Took me four changes on the stuff and it was coming out BLACK, but now it's still a nice translucent brown after 5K miles.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:36 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
:lol:

You gotta stop talking about packing bearings with Vaseline!!!! It's making me excited enough to go use a gallon of Type F in my '74 road smoker!!!!

I'm not sure about using ATF in an engine, I had an A-727 puke the dipstick out of the tube, during a demo derby and the resulting fire from the Dexron/Mercon all over the hot manifold wasn't funny....(and a 10ABC fire extinguisher isn't enough...)... :shock:

-D.Idiot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:40 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
I used to pack my wheel bearings with STP. There was so little froction that the wheels would turn for 3 minutes after I parked the car....... :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:34 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
I was going to post a new topic but I can't follow this, tomorow maybe . Bruce J.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:51 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
I've used STP as an assembly lube. It never runs off like regular oil would. Its kinda like government peanut butter; great as a paste, a neat fire starter, but boy, you would be crazy to actually eat the stuff...