Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:55 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:23 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Was working on the Dart again yesterday, and her dad and I were trying to figure out why it was running rough, so he busts out this old oscilliscope that you hook up to the ignition system, and it gives you a waveform of each spark plug's firing pattern and tells you exactly what's wrong.

Though it's what we both suspected: bad wires.

Thing even has a tach built in. I want one of these things!

Know how they always build a better idiot? That's me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:39 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Scopes are indeed nifty tools. I've used handheld ones too.

Post subject: Check old shops...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:42 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
My buddy got one of those, but it's the cabinet sized roll around one for $50 from a gas station that was 'closing shop'....

Everytime a problem arose with any car he'd roll that thing up and plug it in, you could see variances in the spark in each wire when tested, what the timing looked like, even plotted some weird pattern while the distributor advanced....neat tool, wish I had more on time with one.

cool,

-D.Idiot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:43 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Yeah I'd love a handheld one. This one's pretty burly. About the size of a large lunchbox.

could be a great tuning tool, since it tells you when the plug gap is too wide or too narrow. I see much experimenting ahead 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:51 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
I have a handheld 4 channel digital scope/multimeter. Can hook it up to the engine, and one person drive, while another looks for the problem. By the time I get proficient with everything it can do, it will be obsolete.
It is even capable of a dynamic compression test based on starter current draw, as each cylinder comes up on compression stroke.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:11 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Charrlie_S wrote:
I have a handheld 4 channel digital scope/multimeter. Can hook it up to the engine, and one person drive, while another looks for the problem. By the time I get proficient with everything it can do, it will be obsolete.
It is even capable of a dynamic compression test based on starter current draw, as each cylinder comes up on compression stroke.

What's the name, how much did it cost, and where'd you get it? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:22 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
It is called "Insite" by interro systems. Purchased through Matco tools, about 5-6 yrs ago. With all the different adapters, approx $4,000. This is not a hobbiest tool. I used to have my own shop, and still have most of my equipment.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:59 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Measuring relative compression based on pattern of starter current draw-now THAT'S a smart idea. I never thought of that, but it makes perfect sense. A word of caution-I wouldn't hook a regular oscilloscope to a sparkplug wire. That sounds like a good way to ruin a perfectly good oscilloscope. I'm sure the automotive type is designed to handle the high voltages present on plug wires.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 1:29 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
v8440 wrote:
Measuring relative compression based on pattern of starter current draw-now THAT'S a smart idea. I never thought of that, but it makes perfect sense. A word of caution-I wouldn't hook a regular oscilloscope to a sparkplug wire. That sounds like a good way to ruin a perfectly good oscilloscope. I'm sure the automotive type is designed to handle the high voltages present on plug wires.

Yeah this is an automotive one, and it's inductive. Clamps onto the outside of the coil wire, and then another part clamps onto whichever plug wire you wanna check.