Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 1:47 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:59 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: 1972 Valiant
Have started the process of researching and searching for another 225 Slant 6 to replace the one in our daughter's 1972 Valiant (https://sites.google.com/site/lolathevaliant/) that just seized up. The Valiant has a 3 on the tree manual with a A - 903 transmission. The hope is to find an engine that will "plug and play" with the rest of the drive train. Do not want a donor car as well.

Have come across a couple from 1967 that look like they are hooked to automatic transmissions. In looking at the "Articles" page of the forum and reading the "Slant 6 Parts Reference Matrix sheet" it looks like there might be a slight difference between a 1967 and a 1972. When I read the line "Forging Number" - 67 (blue color) has a smaller flywheel centering ring OD and a smaller torque converter recess ID than the 1972 version (yellow color).

Know just enough to be dangerous, and wonder what year version would match our setup with minimal effort/ease.

We rebuilt the current one and added Aussie speed intake & headers, Petronix set up, and upgraded the carb. It performed and sounded great. She definitely wants to keep the 3 speed manual.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:07 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
You can use the 67 motor if you get an early flywheel.

67/8/9 fit but need the proper timing cover and damper.

70/87 will fit.

Any year will also need the correct pan/pickup and motor mounts for your car.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:39 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
Huh... I know that i had replied here... don't see it now.
There's long time member here that is also in WA state, hasn't been on in a while (now that I mention him I wonder if all is alright with him)
His name is Reed, knows ALOT about all things slant 6, and when he was last on he was talking about having a good engine under the bench, seems like (if I remember correctly) was an early 70s engine, recently remanned, and the car owner totalled the car shortly after receiving it's new engine. So Reed helped the car's owner pull the engine back out and now it was for sale. I don't know what ever became of it, whether he ever sold it or not
At first seemed like he wanted to sell but then later said "if nobody bites he'll eventually put it into something".
I hope all is good with Reed.
It might be worth a PM to him to see if he might still have that engine available.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:52 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Send a PM to user Michael on here. He's in Seattle and might have an appropriate engine and other parts for you.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:27 am 
1 BBL (New)

Re volaredon separate post - You did reply to a separate post I made looking for an engine closer to us in the Pacific Northwest. Also I have sent a PM to Reed - no response yet.

I just sent a PM to Michael.

Question regarding "if you get an early flywheel you can use a '67" - so any 67 I get has to have a transmission that matches the 3 speed manual currently in the car? Looking at a 67 in southern California that has an automatic transmission attached.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:27 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
Get a 67-older manual trans flywheel and a pilot bushing for the input shaft on the front of the trans (actually fits into the back of the crank) and you *should* be good.
I know on some of the v8s with auto trans, the counter bore for the pilot bushing didn't get finish reamed, there is a work a round for it though. I had to have a machinist buddy skim a few thousandths off the outer diameter of the bushing, but I don't remember if that was an issue with the 6s.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:52 am 
1 BBL (New)

Thanks for added details ...

According to online research (Wikipedia citing Haynes Manuals - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chrysler_transmissions) on A 903 3 speed that is in the 1972 we have, it is the same all the way back to 1960.

Am not an experienced mechanic, but what I am trying to determine is what parts I can salvage off our current drive train (if any) to adapt a 1967 Slant 6 ... or am I better off waiting to find an engine year closer to 72.

Always something to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:42 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Ron Hall wrote:
According to online research (Wikipedia citing Haynes Manuals

That's a stackup of three unreliable sources. Haynes manuals are notoriously wrong, as is Wikipedia, and be careful to mind the difference between reading google search results (not research) and gathering information from reliable sources (yes research).

As soon as you can, get the three books listed in this thread. The factory service manual (there is no substitute) can be downloaded for free—at least the chassis section—here; the body section doesn't appear to be downloadable there, though perhaps someone else can point you at it. The wiring diagrams are here The Peterson book can be downloaded here. The Stockel book is a "buy a used copy" item.

Also, see this post.

Last edited by SlantSixDan on Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:45 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
If I remember correctly. To use the 67 or earlier engine use a 67 or earlier flywheel, or use the 68 and newer flywheel with a adapter ring on the crank/flywheel. Member Greg Ondayko has them available. The pilot bushing should be the same no matter what year. However not all cranks were finished for the pilot bushing. Special bushings used to be available but not for a long time. If the crank is not finished for the pilot bushing, you can have a stock replacement bushing OD turned down to fit. Or you can get a pilot bearing for a Dakota and have it modified for the early crank. There is a thread either on this site or on FABO about doing this.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:27 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Thanks for the suggested reference material.

We bought a 72 service and parts manual when we started the original restoration - on paper and disk. Also collected model year marketing material and have the wiring diagrams.

Re late 1960 Mopar - I have service manuals for the Sweptline W Series trucks I have been restoring/running - making/made 2 out of 4 (3 are short beds) - 63,66,67, and 68 - none have 225 Slant 6 now - two had them originally. Using a pair of 318s now.

Appreciate the input.