Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 4:14 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Dart Lite in boneyard
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:01 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Today I discovered a Dart Lite in a nearby boneyard. I found it right at closing time, only had a moment to look it over. Looks to be a '75 or '76 model, /6 1-bbl, manual trans. Hood,tranny, floor shifter hump, shifter, pedals, and linkage all gone... Can anyone enlighten me if there might be any desireable items to look for on this car besides above missing parts? I've never before seen a Dart Lite or Feather Duster in any yard before. I know from reading posts here and elsewhere that these cars are sought by racers and others...I have '74 Dart Sport, /6 auto., that I'm working with. I plan to do a Super Six/ Dutra Duals conversion on her as soon as Doc has more front ex. manifolds available. :D Got stuck in a Traffic pack on the Freeway the other day,she really needs more power!!! :twisted: Thanks all, A different Slant .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:41 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
if the intake is left, i think its made of aluminum, someone may want that as it is lighter, but still only a 1bbl. other than that, shounds like the car is pretty much stripped out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:18 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Me and a few others would be interested to know what the underhood decal says for base ignition timing adjustment. Please take a look for us if you get back there. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:21 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
I'd go back with the magnet and check the trunk lid webbing/bracing (magnet should not stick). And see if the magnet sticks to the bumper reinforcements (the metal behind the chrome 'wrapper' that's bolted to the bumper shocks). If the magnet doesn't stick to those either they also are the OEM cast aluminum parts, pull them and the lid if still intact and non-magnetic, transplant onto your car and save some poundage (the bumpers especially should save you about 75 lbs....).

-D.Idiot

Craig and others:

"Vehicle Emission Control Information Mopar P/N 4041198
Engine=225 Cu. In. FD-225-1-5S Family

This vehicle conforms to US Environmental Protection Agency regulations applicable to 1976 model year new motor vehicles with the exception of the carbon monoxide standard for California.
Idle Settings: Timing = 12 degrees BTDC RPM=600
Tolerances: RPM =+/- 100
Timing=+/- 2 degrees
Carbon Monoxide= +0.4%-0.3%"

Post subject: Dart lite in boneyard...
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:59 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Craig, i'm going to try to go back early next week to scope out the car... I will definitely look for the emissions decal and write down what it says if it's there, then post the results.

Post subject: Dart Lite...
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 11:16 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
vThank you, Duster Idiot! :D That's just the kind of info I was looking for... I must confess laziness with this thread, I got to searching the Site and found past posts about dart Lite and Feather Dusters. The first tool I will load is a magnet... I gotta say it made me both intrigued and a bit sad to see this car in the yard. It would have been a great score for a build-up. I hope it is as I found it Friday, I don't think this yard gets trashed as fast as others around here. Also thanks, Slant Duster Mike, If The intake is alum. I will see about pulling probably the manifold set, as long as the yard doesn't think it's cast of Unobtanium Tracy

Post subject: Dart Lite...SCORE!!!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:46 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
I went back to Pick n Pull in Carson City yesterday and got both bumpers off the rusty '76 green Dart Lite. :lol: :lol: The reinforcements were indeed aluminum... The trunk lid was all steel, no aluminum bracing , and rusty. :cry: As I said before the hood was gone along with steering column, trans, shifter, pedals, linkage, and floor hump. The Emissions label was exactly as Duster Idiot said, 12deg initial timing trans in neutral at 600 RPM warm w/ headlites and A/C off, it also said "when checking timing remove hose at dist.and plug hose." It did have the aluminum 1-bbl 1-piece casting intake, in fact the engine was pretty much intact...carb, dist, starter alt. (I think) all there. There was another Mopar next to it which had an alum 1-bbl electro-weld intake on a /6. Didnt see any Super Six'es in this yard which is what I was loking for in the first place. The alum. bellhousing is still in the Dart Lite, am thinking of going back for it, ran out of time & money yesterday. Both bumpers and a 7-blade fan cost 95 bucks, had to have a couple bucks for gas to get back to Reno! Tracy

Post subject: Cool...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:04 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
That was a good price for those bumpers, lots of guys think they are worth 'unobtainium'...

If you are trying for economy, you should pick up the distributor along with the intake and see if the change in timing curve gains you any mileage (it may also rob some power too...).

If you're grabbing the bellhousing you might as well grab the tranny and clutch linkage too (spares aren't getting easy to find anymore), it will be an A-833 OD tranny if intact it should be a aluminum cased unit...

excellent find.

-D.Idiot

Post subject: Dart Lite pickin's
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:34 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Hey DI, I agree, those bumpers were a good score...I'm glad Pick n pull doesnt employ some greedy cigar-chomping rat at the counter but rather a sweet girl who just checks a price list :D The trans is gone and I could see no remaining linkage at all, only alum bellhousing remains...Someone before me knew what they were after...even the front bumper bolts were loose... I only wanted the alum. reinforcements, but had to take both bumpers complete as I lacked proper tools to get several rusty stubborn chrome bolt/ nuts off even w/ PB blaster pen. oil and a deep socket/ratchet/ breaker bar in 1-2" drive...darn chrome bolt heads just spun , having probably chewed the square carriage heads off, no way to grab onto chrome bolt heads. Oh well, now i have spare chrome bumper shells, although my orig's are much better. I already use an aggressive timing curve with a recurved dist, a lite/heavy spring combo and 15 or 16 deg initial advance... any less and my slant slows down. Interesting how this car spec'ed so much initial timing compared to most other/6'es...I may return next week for the bellhousing ...if it's still there...hey, thanks again for input :wink: Tracy