Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:45 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:12 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Quote:
I totally disagree with bullet 3 in the races/events paragraph.

The crosstalk rules were added last year. If this is something that needs re-visited, please remind us before next years banquet.

I don't even pretend to remember what it is! I red-light every time so it is not an issue for me!!! :lol: :lol:

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:45 pm 
Site Admin

Car Model: 2023 Eichman Digger?
The rule was to protect the faster car when crosstalk was accidentally left on.

CJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:44 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
I don't understand why we are protecting only the faster car. What is the purpose of cross talk? I guess I've always been the slower car even though my old green car ran 16's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:35 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1974 Plymouth Duster
The purpose of cross talk is for drag racers (of any class) using delay boxes to know when their competitor's top yellow light comes on. That's my understanding, at least, and I could be wrong.

If you have ever been the faster car and did not know that crosstalk is on, it really catches you by surprise and can seriously distract you at a very important time. In my opinion, it has more of a negative affect on faster footbrakers. Either way, it causes an unexpected distraction at an important time to only one of the racers. A fair race occurs when both racers are able to race under the same conditions.

Brian

74 Duster, 225, rear-mounted blow through turbo at 12psi boost, street/strip car
"Sixy Beast"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:04 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
So its simply an excuse for the faster car to demand a re-race whenever they lose. The assumption here is that the faster car has a better driver and should always win. How is it fair for a guy that cut a good light and ran his dial to have to re-run the race? Why is he the one that gets penalized for a mistake he didn't commit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:01 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
No, this only applies if Cross Talk was left on accidentally. If they know it is on the rule does not apply. It should only ever affect 1 pair of cars.

Trust me, if you don't know it is on, it sucks. :lol:

It is very hard to leave off of without a box even if you know it's on.

If the track won't turn it off it definitely favors the slower cars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:28 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
I don't understand why we are protecting only the faster car. What is the purpose of cross talk? I guess I've always been the slower car even though my old green car ran 16's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:27 pm 
EFI Slant 6

This is not a "faster vs. slower" issue. The rules are stating that we will allow a race to be rerun when the track officials have the crosstalk feature activated against our wishes (either accidentally or purposefully). This issue does not affect the slower car, but WILL affect the faster car.

If the crosstalk feature only affected the slower car, we would still have the same rule. If you keep on insisting that the rule favors the faster car, then you are not fully grasping the idea.

Brian

74 Duster, 225, rear-mounted blow through turbo at 12psi boost, street/strip car

"Sixy Beast"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:01 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Of course it only effects the faster car, if the faster car wins there is no stipulation for a re-run only if they lose. I don't give a d@ω& I will never re-run a race ever again

Last edited by 70valiant on Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:52 pm 
EFI Slant 6

:roll:

"Sixy Beast"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:33 pm 
Site Admin

Car Model: 2023 Eichman Digger?
It is the responsibility of the race coordinator to tell the track to turn off cross-talk, a feature that allows electronic cars to launch on the same light. Cross talk allows electronics cars to key off the same light. This requires the operator of the fast car to enter the dial of his car, the dial of the car he is racing, and let his computer launch his car on the same light that launches the slower car.

He Keys on his top yellow. When it lights, he initiates his launch. His computer then delays his launch to key off the same moment that launches his opponent.

Since we don't run electronic cars, we ask the track to turn off cross talk.

What happens is, when your go light lights, the top bulb on the fast car's tree lights. He can't tell if you red lit or went late. All he knows is that your time started.

If he doesn't have an electronic car, then he waits and the tree drops from there. It's a problem. Unfortunate of course, but still a real issue. Imagine having your tree drop, without the top Yellow bulb.

Same thing. It's a bad deal. If it's been arranged with the track, it's their fault. They should have turned it off, in accordance with our rules.

Now, if the fast car launches, that's debatable. By launching on a bad tree, you accept the trigger. Back out of stage, your covered in the fast car. Take the light, you lost. Different animal. But that's not how the rules currently read.

CJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:55 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
As far as I know (and I only have experience on three tracks with /6 racing) it has only been an issue where we no longer race. I just happened to be the one that got screwed that time. I guess I'm not over it yet. I just think more factors need to be taken into account than simply which car is faster and weather or not that car won.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:12 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
So it sounds like the slow car gets a normal start. The faster car gets the confusing start which is not really fair to him. Our goal should be for everyone to get the same start, in my opinion. That is why there is a re-run of the race.

Best thing is to do all we can to make sure it doesn't happen.

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:50 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
70valiant wrote:
As far as I know (and I only have experience on three tracks with /6 racing) it has only been an issue where we no longer race. I just happened to be the one that got screwed that time. I guess I'm not over it yet. I just think more factors need to be taken into account than simply which car is faster and weather or not that car won.

This rule is not about "protecting" anyone. It is to try and keep things fair.

If your opponent KNEW Cross Talk was going to be on and forced a re-run, you did in fact get screwed.

If he didn't know it was on he got screwed and deserved a re-run.

This is trying to prevent that from happening again, you can not change the past. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:45 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Phil, from your point of view, please explain why the slower car should be allowed to have a rerun when the faster car wins a race despite overcoming the distinct disadvantage of crosstalk being on in his lane without his knowledge.

"Sixy Beast"