Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:08 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Drag racing pan mods
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:20 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
I am building a new pan for my race car and was wondering what mods I should incorporate into the bottom to help control oil movement. I am planning to drop the bottom about 1" and enlarge it some also. If you have any photos of what a simple drag pan should look like I love to see them.

Thanks, Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:46 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Make sure the oil pickup is flat on the floor of the pan, so you'll need to extend the tube a bit more than 1". I use NPT fittings and weld (or at least tack) things together. I grind/modify the NPT nipples/couplers to get the right overall length.

I would weld a baffle all the way across the back part of the sump to stop oil climbing into the back of the upper part of the pan during accel. If drag only, then this is all you want.

I have lots of oilpan mod pics here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/16910097@ ... 6194152763

If you want about 0.75-1 qt more capacity, then this kickout from Speedway saves you some time and effort. It is used on the later pan in the flickr link above.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Oil-Pan-B ... ,1763.html

Cheers,

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:32 am 

Thanks Lou. It looks like your baffles are welded solid to the pan all the way around, so this would force all the oil to go to the center hole to return to the sump. Is there any reason to leave a small gap at the edges of the baffles to allow oil to get to the sump quicker? Or is that just a non issue and I am over thinking things.

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:52 am 

Car Model:
I have done that too in the past, but that also lets oil get out, and any flow out of those cracks will be slow. Basically, I don't think it matters much. I weld them solid just to be compulsive and maybe minimize vibrations.

One key point is to have the baffles angled downward into the sump so that oil can flow back down quickly and not get trapped up high. Need to take into account the rearward down tilt of the engine in this too, so the rearward baffles need to angle down even more than the front.

Make sure to leak test everything with water (and then I usually do it with gasoline or paint thinner or carb spray too) before installing on the engine and in the car.

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:56 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic ... c&start=45

Check the link..

This is the purpose built drag pan that i still run on ruster..

I have smashed it off a jack a few times and relocated the drain
The trap doors are helpful on launch and i never uncover the pickup on sub 1.60 60 foot times.

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:44 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
While you're modifying, I'd also modify it for cornering..........

I'm just saying. :wink:

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:30 pm 

Windage tray and the scraper have been fitted and I am going to talk to Robbie (welder/fabricator/painter) in the morning about the pan mods. I know what I want as far as my sump and the baffles are concerned but I have a question about the oil level & dipstick.

I plan to drop my sump about 1 1/2 inches and enlarge it slightly to the rear. Calculations say that it will add a little over 2 quarts.

My real question is this. I have an F body pan and want to use the short 65 dipstick & tube. How do I know how much oil is full. I know I can mark a new dipstick when I know where it is supposed to be, but what is the best way to get to that point. Do I need to start with the F body dipstick and tube? (Which I don't have but could get) Or is it possible the depth of the sump is the same on the two pans and I can use the 65 dipstick.

I will also have the pan cut apart while modifying it,so I can see exactly where the pickup is setting before final welded. So can I just measure from the floor of the sump to a certain depth and mark the dipstick? How much oil should be covering the pickup? And do the factory dipsticks just go in enough to be at the bottom of the sump?

A lot of questions for something that seems so simple, I know.

Thanks, Rick

Post subject: You can also...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:44 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
Do I need to start with the F body dipstick and tube?

If you don't have one, it is the same as the late A-body dipstick and tube...if you have one of those handy instead (bolts to the manifold stack)...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:00 pm 

Thanks DI, I may have one of those. I have several pans for them.

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:54 am 

Car Model:
I don't care what dispstick I use these days. I put one in I like, then fill the engine with the amt of oil I think it needs, then start it to fill the filter, then let it sit for 5-10 min and check it. Then I mark that point with a file as full on the stick. Done.

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:58 am 

Quote:
fill the engine with the amt of oil I think it needs

So on my modified pan with a larger sump: If I calculate the larger sump is 2 additional quarts,I can just put 7 in it and call it a day? I didn't know if it was that simple or not! I guess it is. :lol: :lol:

Last edited by Rick Covalt on Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:08 am 

Car Model:
Rick,

If I estimate I have added 1.5 - 2 qts capacity to the pan, then I just add that much more, yes. I round up to the nearest quart.

FYI, it seems that the 225 can handle a lot more than what is stated by Chrysler will no ill effects (except likely windage losses). We ran 7-8 qts in a stock pan at the first outing for the LeMons Valiant with about 4 hrs runtime and it was fine and helped keep the pressure up on turns/braking.

For drags, you want to minimize windage and oil slosh is a more minor concern than autoX and roadcourse, so you could mark yours for "FULL" with 2 extra qts, then run it a qt below that on the dragstrip and for normal driving. For "non-spirited" driving/cruising, you can run a Slant down to about 1.5-2 qts and still have oil pressure on slow turns and mild braking. :shock:

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:52 am 

Quote:
you can run a Slant down to about 1.5-2 qts and still have oil pressure

Thanks Lou but I think I'll keep more than that in my new engine! :lol: :lol:

You all make me feel better! Robbie looked at my pan and helped me tweek the design a bit. Will pick up the metal on Monday morning and drop it off to him. Once the pan is done and painted then I'll put the engine in the car! :lol:

Thanks again,

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:36 pm 

Car Model: 68 Valiant
You can run a deep pan with 5 quarts and keep the oil away from the crank better.

Post subject: Keeping the bolts tight?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:40 pm 

I have always had issues with the pan bolts coming loose. Anyone have a good solution? I am trying to avoid the temptation to bung up the threads!! :lol:
I have always just used the factory bolts with the captured washers. Would lock washers help? I know you racers have this all solved!

Thanks