Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:42 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 671 posts ]  Go to page Previous 121 22 23 24 2545 Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:29 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1963 Dart 270, 1980 D150
Those black wheels really change the look of that car. It looks much more sinister now. I like. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:38 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
Thank you!

I have one complaint with them. I put a smaller tire on them than Mike had under the car and ended up with very little clearance on the 1/4 panels. I measured them Saturday. They are supposed to be 15X10 with 5.5" BS. They are actually 15X11 so they stick out an inch farther than expected. I think I'll be ok, but it is closer than I expected.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:54 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1963 Dart 270, 1980 D150
Surely you own a BFH. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:57 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
Looking back a couple pages at your Before and After photos it sure looks like the new tires are bigger. They sure do fill out the wheelwell a lot better.

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:40 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
Was 15x11 the inside measurement?

Remember there's about an inch difference between the outside and inside measurements...….

8)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:28 pm 

Inside of the bead to inside of the bead.

The tires I had on it were 9X28. These are 9X30 Radials. The 9X28's look tiny under the car.

I tried jacking out the quarters with a porta-power. They are tied to the tubs and just spring right back in.

I think it will be ok. The ladder bar/coilover setup seems to have very little sway. If not I'll do something else.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:25 am 

CEEJ and I played with the car a little this weekend. We got the rest of the sponsor lettering off of it, and after some deliberation I took Blaine's name off the fender. I did leave the J&M decals on it though, so Mike and Blaine are still honored. :D

Yesterday we ventured to Indy on a parts run. We met my buddy Jamie Fenner to pick up a 5000 stall converter. Jamie also decided that I needed 2 sets of 9X30 lightweight radial slicks off his 340 Demon stocker. I now have enough tires to last me the rest of my racing career. :lol:

Then we went off to John's where we toured the goings on in his shop. The '68 Barracuda is progressing nicely and looks great with all the body/paint work going on. He also showed us a couple heads he is working on. :D

I also bought a cam back from John that he got from me that I got from Mike. :shock:

I also moved into the late 1990's and bought a Mega Squirt 2 and a throttle body from him. Not sure what I'll ever do with it, but I at least own fuel injection technology now. :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:36 am 

After having the car out 4 times last year with no alternator on it and deciding that dragging a generator and battery charger around sucks, I ordered an 85 amp alternator, new kill switch, and a voltmeter. I have a stock damper on the car so I just need to fab up a mount to the motor plate and I should be good. :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:47 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
I tried talking Ryan into that also. The little mini Alternator I got only weighs 4 pounds. Pretty sure he could still break some records with 4 extra pounds! :D :D Smart move Dennis!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:24 am 

I would think so too Rick. :mrgreen:

One other thing that annoys me about having a generator is I hate being "that guy" with the noisy azz generator running all the time. :oops:

Got my stock ordered from McMaster-Carr for my bracket. :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:41 pm 

Went to RT 66 today. Weather was decent, but with the normal Joliet 20+ mph crosswind.

First pass the car got away from me coming out of the water and scared the crap out of the starting line crew when I got really close to hitting the wall. Got it all straightened out and made a good straight run of 13:46@99.

Scaled the car and it weighs 2770 w/me in it.

I was 3 cars back in line waiting for my 2nd pass when Daryl Bureski drove over the crank in his D/SA 442 convertible and oiled out to the 1000 foot. Aftrr an almost 2 hour cleanup we were back in business. I had changed the chip in the 2 step to a 3800 and it went right up on it. Made a nice straight pass down Broadway running 13:28@101.

All in all a good day hanging out with friends, car ran good, and drove back in the garage under it's own power. Life is good. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:13 am 
Site Admin

Car Model: 2023 Eichman Digger?
Now we're having fun! :D Sounds like a great car!

I need to get the Hooptie inside for a checkup before Saturday, and repair my trailer. Probably not going to happen.

Maybe I"ll catch the next race.

CJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:48 am 
SL6 Racer

Car Model:
CJ

You have had all winter !!

Dave

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 8:59 pm 

Did a little touch up on the car this week. It has had an odd alignment on the front end since I got it, and I couldn't get the torsion bars to stay up. I cranked the bars all the way up, and they seem to be holding now. I forgot how finicky the .810 bars are.

I also moved the tie rods from under the steering arms to above them and did a eyeball adjustment on the toe. Car drove a lot better today, and seemed to steer around in the pits better too.

I also decided after my attempt to polish the wall last time to lower the brake pedal height. I pulled the pushrod out and took it to work yesterday. I put it in the lathe and cut a new retainer groove, shortened it, and polished the end so it fit the master. It lowered the brake pedal about 2 inches and made it a whole lot easier for me to get my big feets on the brake pedal instead of being stuck under it. :lol: I got home from work about 3 am and put the pushrod back in, then off to bed for 4 hours sleep.

Back to 66 today for a real race. Entered in PRO so I could swim with the sharks. I thought I would miss the first time run since I didn't get to the track until 10:30, but they had a delay for water seeping up through the track at 800 feet. Made it through Tech (barely). The car has been together for 25+ years and raced all over the country (including here) and they almost bounced me for the battery hold down. The battery box itself is 3/16" plate and bolted down with 1/2" bolts, but the battery hold down itself is a 3/8" J hook and they deemed that illegal. :shock:

Went up after the track dried and made the first hit. I had a 4200 chip in the 2 step, but the motor didn't hit it. Converter stalled at 4100. Let go of the button and it felt like I got hit in the back end by a truck. It usually feels like you can get out and push faster than it leaves. Car drove straight down the middle into the 20 mph headwind and rewarded me with a 13:17@100. Also got a 1.89 60', best ever. :mrgreen: It was 60* and we had our normal 20 mph headwind.

Went up for the 2nd time shot later and the car was definitely not acting right. It felt pig rich at idle and didn't want to idle in gear. Made the run with a 4000 chip in the 2 step and it felt slow. It was. 13:37@99.9. :oops:

Got back to the trailer and investigated. I found a hole in my carb where a mixture screw was supposed to be. :shock: I looked in my Holley toolbox and found absolutely every small part for a Holley EXCEPT a mixture screw. Went around to some of the other trailers and actually found one with a clear vinyl seal on it. Got it in and set it like the other side just in time for the first round. Car fired right up and seemed cleaner than it ever has. I had no idea what to dial since I knew the car was fixed, but the air had gotten worse since the first time run. :cry: I put a 13:22 on it and crossed my fingers.

I ended up drawing a buddy of mine with a Malibu dialed 10:18. Car sounded angry again on the burnout so I knew I was in deep poo. I let go of the button and the car left harder than it did on the first time pass. I got out to the other end and lost Jim in the blind spot so I just stayed in it. His win light came on so I knew I broke out. Timeslip showed a 13:09@100, a 1.87 60', and best of all, a .006 reaction time. :oops:

All in all I was very happy. Spent time with a lot of friends, car ran great, and went back in the garage tonight under it's own power. :P

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 2:36 am 

Car Model:
Cool beans, Dennis. Sounds like a great set of results, even if the win light didn't come on. Seems like 12s are well within reach! Once it's dialled in, should be a hoot in competition.

I had a similar day with Project V yesterday - broke out bigtime against Ron H in eliminations when the air got better and let my rich mixture work instead of sputter misfire. One last time run they let me do got me a 13.64 @ 97 - tied with fastest ever. Rained out today already.

Lou

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 671 posts ]  Go to page Previous 121 22 23 24 2545 Next