Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:50 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:16 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
I have really been enjoying all the chatter this year about people wanting to set records. Not to mention the multiple records that have been set recently.

Some folks like to keep their cards close to their chest and not reveal much until they lay one down. That's a cool approach I can appreciate. But I'm way more of a talker and way less of a doer,... Just ask anyone... :oops: :roll:

So, I figured I'd start a thread for those folks that want to chat about setting records.

From the folks I've talked to and posts I've read:

Ryan Covalt has really been dialing in his '62 Valiant. He is staying true to Seymour's vision for the car and remains focused on light weight, NA (Normally Aspirated), and gas. So the Valiant is solid in the A/Gas category. Although Seymour did dabble in the B/Gas category a little, so I wouldn't necessarily count that one out. :wink:

Charlie Schmid is another record seeker that likes to use the Go Go Juice as his record setting tool of choice. His records are all in the C and D/Nitrous area. He also takes advantage of the "170 weight rule" that allows records run with the 170 engine to claim the next higher weight class. He has been known to flood a 170 with 250 HP shots of nitrous! :shock:

Lou Madsen owns the D/Unlimited class with his turbo 68 Dart he has had since he was a teenager. He has also removed the seats to get the car into the C/Unlimited class and has even begun to dabble with nitrous for more record attempts in Project V.

Rusty Heisten has re-set several of the B and C Gas and Alcohol records in the Team Green Lancer over the last several years. The Team Green guys have gotten a little too comfortable at the top of the record sheet lately, so I think we all need to pester our old friend and "Record Hoarder" Mark Etheridge to button up things on his Valiant and start pushing that envelope again. I know Mark is reading this... :twisted:

A handful of us played with nitrous this year to set an easy record for the 20 bonus points. There are still some records out there that could be considered "low hanging fruit" for those of you that are so inclined... :wink:

I have several records I daydream about setting, but my main personal goal is to get the Challenger running finally so I can re-set the records it currently owns:
A/Alcohol 1/8 ET: 7.3550
A/Alcohol 1/8 MPH: 92.390

Enough of my rambling. Let the discussion begin!! :mrgreen:

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:20 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
No comment... :P

Lou

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:30 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
Dart270 wrote:
No comment... :P

Lou

Okay Perfesser... :roll: :lol:

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:39 pm 

Car Model:
I couldn't resist... Record plans are stewing for next year!

Lou

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:14 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 72' Dart Swinger / 62' Valiant
No record is safe next year.

I have plans to add weight in 400 lb increments to the race car until every gas record is broken.
I am drilling and tapping the Webber manifold to run a nitrous fogger system.
I am bolting on a torq storm supercharger for the unlimited class.
I am re jetting to run e85 to set alcohol records.
I am removing the hood, fenders doors, and running my aluminum block slant 6 to set an AA gas record.

Which one from the above list is true? :twisted:

Well Actually none of them are.... maybe.... someday nitrous on the race car??? Doubtful.

I had originally planned on trying to set a nitrous record with the blue truck next year. But it turns out that the camshaft and oil pump gear failed again. Yes that is the 2nd time in just over 500 miles. I’m not sure the damage to the bottom end yet but if its not hurt too bad, maybe I will be able to run some nitrous on that next year. That would be D nitrous 1/8 mile.

My dart is doubtful for next year, but that will be in the D unlimited class once that is done, and hopefully one day I can give Lou a little pressure on those records.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:08 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
This is what slant 6 racing has been missing!

See you in A class next year!!!!!

Mark

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:35 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Team Green wrote:
This is what slant 6 racing has been missing!

See you in A class next year!!!!!

Mark

Welcome to the fight.
I was going to stop traveling to the slant six races, but if I think my car can set a record, I will try to make it.

I can run "C" or "D" nitrous, or unlimted if I get my turbo car back together, but Lou has set the bar pretty high for me.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:01 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Charrlie S,

I think it's time us old timers need to take these young whipper-snappers down a notch or two.

You can take on the nitrous guys and I'll take on the N/A Bunch and Nitti can handle the forced induction crowd!

Mark

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:13 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Team Green wrote:
Charrlie S,

I think it's time us old timers need to take these young whipper-snappers down a notch or two.

You can take on the nitrous guys and I'll take on the N/A Bunch and Nitti can handle the forced induction crowd!

Mark

Works for me. But I don't have the wherewithall to take on Mikes old car/record, if Dennis decides to bring it out like it used to be. A 10.54 at 125.54 is a pretty high bar.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:14 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
If the bar is too high,

change the rules

:mrgreen:

8)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:19 am 

Car Model: 68 Valiant
Looking at the current B and C Nitrous 1/8 mile records I could put a simple plate on mine and kill the C record, and by putting a normal sized human in the driver's seat take the B too. :mrgreen:

However, since I don't have the time/money/ambition to chase a championship, I'll leave that to you guys to fight over. :D

This does not mean I wouldn't loan the car to someone else wanting to set a record. (Or just Slant race) :?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:42 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
slantzilla wrote:

However, since I don't have the time/money/ambition to chase a championship, I'll leave that to you guys to fight over. :D

I don't either, but that hasn't stopped me from attending what races I can, and trying to set records. Come on Dennis, Clay City 2020. Within traveling distance, 1/4 mile and 1/8 mile.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:02 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
I too could chase those Nitrous, 1/8 mile records. But does anyone know how to run nitrous on a set of Webers? Yeah me thinks I better just be happy to run in the 12's :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:57 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 72' Dart Swinger / 62' Valiant
Mark, I agree!

A little competitive back and forth battling for records keeps slant 6 racing fun and exciting! If you get the Lancer down to A weight you should be faster than me. I’d love if we could have 2 NA toads in the 10’s next year!

I’m looking to get the car a little more stable on the top end by running radials and hoping it doesn’t hurt the 60’ too much. I’m also considering a 5 speed swap this winter or next. That should help the car gain a little speed (at the expense of consistency).

Your car has always been one of my favorites and being as fast as Team Green has been a goal of mine too. I’m looking forward to next year. Let’s all break some records!

Dad, I’m pretty sure Dusty would weld nitrous bungs onto our manifolds without any issue. Then we could run fogger systems..... Then you could spray a 200 shot like Charlie and be in the 10’s too.

Charlie, Glad to hear you still plan to break more records too! You kept saying it was your last race, I’m glad you keep making the trip north!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:33 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Rick Covalt wrote:
IBut does anyone know how to run nitrous on a set of Webers?

https://www.enginebasics.com/Advanced%2 ... ogger.html

Time to ¢a$h out the ¢ovalt retirement a¢¢ount.

Greg