Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:15 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 711 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:15 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
casedawg wrote:
Will do. I'm going to plan on 4 sets of parts right now. I think 5 people, including me, have expressed interest, but only Dart270 and Killer6 have expressed interest recently. That will give me one extra set if there is a late bloomer.

Hey there casedawg, any updates?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:38 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
I have been working hard with the shifter manufacturer to get the latest design made. We have completed the design and I am about to machine his latest generation shifter and the one that will be required for our cars.

I was about to machine a test part to confirm that my dowel pin locations are correct, but life got in the way when my wife's car broke down and then I went on vacation. I'm hopeful I can get that done in the next couple weeks so I can make the first adapter plate and get the transmission bolted to the engine. Then I can confirm the required flywheel thickness and get that machined.

Could someone please point me towards the part number of the late model starter that fits the slant six bellhousing that has a removable nose that doesn't require the support counterbore? I thought someone told me there was one, but I can't remember now. I need to purchase on of those to do my final fit checks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:11 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Sounds Good Casedawg... I dont know about the Info for that starter - I did remember seeing that somewhere - maybe a post in the engine section - If i get some time I will look for you.

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:52 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Here's the mid 2000s Dodge Ram tiny starter. Rick Covalt and I are both using this, and maybe some others.

http://slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php ... am+starter

http://slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php ... am+starter

Happy building!

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:20 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Made some progress over the last couple weekends. I ended up needing to use the Nissan starter because it doesn't have a nose over the gear. It happens to have the same gear as the slant starter, so I can use the slant ring gear on the flywheel. I was able to fit it into the same location as the stock starter with the use of an adapter block.

Next up is finalizing the flywheel dimensions. I should be receiving my ring gear and friction insert later this week. I think I have all my adapter plate dimensions dialed in enough to make an official one that covers the whole bellhousing face. I've just been making 10in wide versions because I had the stock left over from another job.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be able to build a trigger wheel into the back of the flywheel with dowel pins for EFI. I still have to confirm a couple dimensions, but I will be able to thread a hall sensor into the lower portion of the adapter plate and pick up the pins in a 36-1 pattern. I am also making the center of the flywheel hold the Nissan pilot bushing so we don't have to press an adapter bushing into the crank.

Do you guys think I need to incorporate the mounting holes for the bracket that bolts to the drivers side of the engine block? I know the bracket is different on auto and manual cars. The adapter plate is looking like it will be .725 thick, so it will be pretty rigid. I am able to retain the use of all the holes on the northern hemisphere of the engine block.

Here is a preference question. Would you guys rather have me maintain the use of metric bolts from the transmission to the adapter plate, or should I convert them to 7/16-14 or 3/8-16 like the block bolts? They are not used for alignment, only clamping. There are a couple holes that go into the transmission that are threaded M10x1.5 for the original starter locations and the very bottom two bolts so there would still have to be a mix of metric and inch. It's not a big deal either may for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:53 pm 

Car Model:
I would say forget the support bracket. I have the Wilcap plate that is 0.7" thick with not bracket and it has withstood 400 HP for a while now. I used the Mopar iron plate before that with no bracket for 40k+ miles.

I would say if the bolts were metric to begin, leave them that way for simplicity. My 200-r4 trans is all metric and that is fine. Trans side - metric bolts, engine side - SAE bolts...

My 2 cents...

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:04 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
My opinion on Bolts:

If it bolts to the engine SAE

If it bolts to the transmission Metric

I would consider the adaptor plate part of the transmission, so Metric

If you consider the adaptor plate as part of the engine, SAE

Or purchaser selectable, depending on where the live (SAE easier to obtain in US, metric elsewhere (you could do whitworth for UK))

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:06 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
I say anything bolting trans & adapter together stay metric throughout, no
reason to mix, & are the original bellhousing bolts going to be able to mate
the trans to the plate if available &/or acquired w/the trans? If so, then I'm
definitely in the metric camp.

Lol! C'mon emsvtil, whitworth....... really? And a trip to the Nissan dealer
will get You the bolts wherever You are.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:14 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Nice work casedawg, forget the bracket, if I decide I need one I'll fab it up.
For all interested I can say We appreciate the work You're putting in on it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:48 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Thank you all for the feedback!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:57 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Quick update: I have the water jet adapter plate and flywheel material. I was able to find a water jet vendor that was only $20-30 more than the material itself to cut out the profile. Now I just need to find the time to get them on the machine and finish them. That's going to be a little harder to do now. We just had our third child on 5/11, so hobby time is going to greatly decrease for a while. After that, the big hurdle will be finding somewhere to have the floor cut open for a couple weeks to test fit. I think I might be able to get the car on a lift in my neighbor's shop if I pay as little rent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:31 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Behold, progress! Machined the adapter plate today and, for the first time ever...(I think), a six speed manual transmission was bolted to a slant six. I hoping to machine the flywheel this week.

Enough with the drama. Here are the pictures. Enjoy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:22 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
:bow:

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:14 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
That's awesome casedawg!!

Thank you for doing this. It is much appreciated.

I am interested in this as well and would put up a deposit if the price isn't too scary. :D

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:56 am 

Car Model:
Very cool! Yes, let me know about deposit or material costs up front. I believe you are the first for a /6 bolted to a 6 speed.

Lou

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 711 Next