Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:25 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:47 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
I'm looking into the viability of the Nissan 350Z 6 speed manual as a swap. The conversion would use an adapter similar to the ones these folks produce: http://collinsadapters.com/index.php/adaption-kits/2jz-gte-1jz-gte-engine/aisin-a340-a341-bell-housing-to-nissan-350z-370z-g35-g37-vq-6-speed-transmission-adapter.html

The adapter would allow the the slant six 4 speed bellhousing to bolt to the transmission after the integral bell is cut off. The thickness of the adapter would hopefully be adjusted so that you just bolt the trans to the bell with the adapter and all lengths are good with the input shaft.

I think you would just use a stock mechanical linkage setup and pressure plate for a 10" clutch disk. The stock Nissan disk is ~9.875". My thinking is that with a stock bellhousing, flywheel, pressure plate, throwout bearing and linkage, you would be able to just bolt everything together with the correct adapter plate thickness.

Potential interference issues:
-Input shaft bushing diameter (adapter for bushing required for crankshaft)
-Input spline axial position with shaft engaged with crankshaft (custom clutch disk with longer splines may be required)
-Finding a 10" pressure plate that fits on the slant six flywheel. (I haven't been able to find bolt circle dimensions or a stock vehicle application for the Ford pressure plate that is mentioned on this forum.)
-The Nissan pressure plate for the 250mm clutch is too big to fit on the flywheel. It has an 11" bolt circle. I'm looking into a 240mm (9.5") clutch kit from another Nissan. Almost all Nissans have the same 1" 24T spline on the input shaft.
-The Nissan flywheels require a small step for proper pressure plate engagement.

Is it worth monkeying around with finding a diaphragm pressure plate or are the available Borg and Beck style pressure plates for the slant adequate with the Nissan disk? I've heard the B&B style are prone to exploding. Are newer B&B style pressure plates built differently?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:30 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Cool. Nice to see some thinking in this area. How plentiful are these 6 speeds? Cost for a new or good rebuilt or good used unit? Ratio list?

I would call clutchnet.com to discuss PP possibilities, esp a diaphragm from another make. 10" B&B (stock slant 6) do not have great holding power and can explode. Wilcap makes an alum flywheel for our engines with a different bolt pattern (Mazda/Ford??).

Will think about other issues...

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:12 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Very plentiful. You want to make sure that you get the latest revision, the CD009, which I think started in 2005. Costs range from $300-1000 with $5-600 being common.

Ratios:

I did just talk to McCleod about the pressure plates. They don't have the 360116 pressure plate anymore but would have to order it in. I asked them if they do anything to it after and they said no, it's just the OEM PP. Incidentally, I ran across that same PN on Rockauto for a 1999 Ford Explorer with the OHV 4.0L for less than $60. McLeod confirmed that that is the same PP. They don't make any slant flywheels and a custom would be $600.

Since several members have shown the 360116 PP to fit, the stock 350Z 250mm clutch disk should work and there are tons of aftermarket options. The clutch disk is also flat on the flywheel side so there aren't clearance issues to the flywheel like the Ford 10in disk for the Explorer.

350Z clutch pilot bushing is .629ID .815OD so it should fit with an adapter in the crank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:36 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: Toad Wagon
Other than the disc spline question ......

In both my street and my strip slants I'm using these Aussie "Hemi Performance" parts. Rather a strong pedal, but very satisfactory performance for several years now.
I'd recommend re-enforcing the stock bell-crank or cobbling up a stronger one though.

Nice thing's that they go in a stock bell with no issues other than having to use their t/o bearing & carrier if you want it "bolt-in".

They also have other tidbits for slant clutch systems.

Flywheels:
https://www.hemiperformance.com.au/shop ... wheel.html

Clutches:
https://www.hemiperformance.com.au/shop ... h-kit.html

Carrier:
https://www.hemiperformance.com.au/shop ... aring.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:04 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
The flywheel looks like a nice piece. It appears to have the Ford pressure plate bolt pattern. It's about $363 shipped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:24 am 

Car Model:
Nice to know about the Aussie parts, Dick. Thanks. Interested in good quality Ford plate that can handle 300+ ft-lbs and occasional (drag) clutch dumps...

Thanks for the price and ratio info, Casedawg. I have a T5 in my 64 Dart (since 2002) and have a couple of spares, but eventually would like to go 6 spd in one of the cars. Ratios look very nice with a 3.23 rear gear or so - keep the driveshaft RPM down...

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:31 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
I just checked out the clutch kit for a 300ZX with a 240mm disk. Unfortunately, the pressure plate bolt circle is still 11".

This looks like the ticket for the clutch plate is the Ford 360116 available on Rockauto for $36.79. I think the stock 350Z disk will work fine at 9.875". Just need to confirm Nissan clutch disk thickness will work with the Ford PP.

Lou,

What RPM does your slant like to cruise at in 5th gear with your current T5 setup? What gear and rear end ratios do you have?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:00 am 

Car Model:
My engine is high comp and cam (257@ 0.050" on intake, 249 exh, 11:1), and it is pretty happy above 2400 on the hwy. I usually cruise around 25-2900 RPM. Rear is 3.91 and OD is 0.63. A more mild Slant can take less RPM for cruising. I personally do not think it is good to lug a 225 down to 2000 or below, but some folks believe in that. Turbo car (stock cam, 8.7:1) with 0.69 OD and 3.23 or 3.55 gears cruises a bit lower, around 2200-2700.

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:53 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
They look like good parts! And $363 is a good price too. Can we find out for sure what the bolt pattern is on the flywheel?

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:01 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
I confirmed that the stock 250mm 350Z clutch disk will work with the Ford Ranger 4.0L pressure plate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:38 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Rick Covalt wrote:
They look like good parts! And $363 is a good price too. Can we find out for sure what the bolt pattern is on the flywheel?

Rick

The Oz can holes're arranged in three 30* pairs around the flywheel, at the stock slant six diameter, for their own clutch can set-up.

For El Toad I used an Oz can on a stock flywheel, I used three of the factory holes, and poked three extra holes for it.
I just used the can to locate the new holes, drilled'em on the drill press, and tapped'em by hand.
They're working nicely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:36 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Good ideas and discussion!

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:29 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
What diameter disk can you use with the Oz pressure plate? Will it take a 10" disk?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:31 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

No, I'd say 9.250'd be about it, but their grab & hold's really good. I have over a couple years on the 'Brick's, and welll over one on 'Toad's, with no sign of fading yet.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:10 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
hi sages- have replaced many rwd clutches in dodges , plyms and fords in the last 50. have seen one exploded clutch in the shop in a 60 falcon with 6 and a 3speed. an amazing mess. looked like a b and b lever pp. amazing no one got killed or hurt. clutch pieces came through the aluminum bell housing and floor like bullets. bell was aluminum , wondered if it was iron if it would have stopped the explosion. story was youngblood was racing on tobacco road and power shifted an over revving 6 into 2d when it let lose. miracle he didnt lose part of his foot. never experienced one blowing to hell. heard it is more common in a b and b lever plate than in a diaphragm, but not sure why. suspect the greater holding power of a b and b plus high torque forced upshifts has something to do with it. another point- no matter how old and good looking you get you can always learn something new. watching a friend from the war do a clutch job on a fwd ford focus. noticed there was no pilot bearing in the crank. thought this was a mistake. he told me no. some cars dont need them? is this correct. all the ones i did had one and i always replaced it. usually had to use that hooked lisle slide hammer to get it out. would think no pilot would invite clutch chatter and stress on the input shaft bearing. what think you? thanks tons bob f