Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum upgrade!
It is currently Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:50 am

All times are UTC-08:00




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:40 am 
Offline
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:00 am
Posts: 27
Location: Southern MD
Car Model*: 1929 Dodge Roadster
I used the search feature and couldn't find what i was looking for. If any one can send me a link to a past discussion non this that would be great. I have a 904 behind my slant six in my roadster and it is shifted using a metal linakge to a homemade "console shifter". I'd really like to put a push button shifter in this car, is that even possible? If it is possible what parts would i need to do this? I've never seen how a PB shifter woks up close so i don't know if it would be easy or not. I've seen forums on other sites of people going push button to console but not the other way around. I see people mention a shift cable and park cable/'ever when talking about PB shifters so i'm guessing this may be difficult to do what i want. I can't remember what year the trans is but i think it was a late 60s. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks yall!


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:12 am 
Offline
EFI Slant 6
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:25 am
Posts: 384
Location: Springtucky OR
Car Model*:
I believe you would need a '65 or earlier 904. They do indeed have 2 cables. One for shifting and one to lock it in park. The shift cable enters the transmission under the tailshaft housing and the park cable enters the transmission on the left side.

The shift cable travel is only about an inch so an original pushbutton shifter probably couldn't easily be made to shift a later 904 with the external shift lever.

I have an early 904 you could have for free...

_________________
--> Check out my FI Turbo build <--
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:27 am 
Offline
SL6 Racer & Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2002 12:06 pm
Posts: 7017
Location: Silver Springs, Fl.
Car Model*:
Thebearded1 wrote:
I used the search feature and couldn't find what i was looking for. If any one can send me a link to a past discussion non this that would be great. I have a 904 behind my slant six in my roadster and it is shifted using a metal linakge to a homemade "console shifter". I'd really like to put a push button shifter in this car, is that even possible? If it is possible what parts would i need to do this? I've never seen how a PB shifter woks up close so i don't know if it would be easy or not. I've seen forums on other sites of people going push button to console but not the other way around. I see people mention a shift cable and park cable/'ever when talking about PB shifters so i'm guessing this may be difficult to do what i want. I can't remember what year the trans is but i think it was a late 60s. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks yall!


What year is the engine and trans, you are running now? I have done several PB setups, and depending on years makes a difference. Trans is 64 down, 65, or 66-67, or 68 up. Engine 67 or older, 68 newer.
If you want to talk about the options, send a PM, and I'll give you my phone number.

_________________
Charrlie_S
65 Valiant 100 2dr post 170 turbo
66 Valiant Signet 225 nitrous
64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:06 pm 
Offline
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:00 am
Posts: 27
Location: Southern MD
Car Model*: 1929 Dodge Roadster
Thanks for the quick responses!

ProCycle Thanks for the offer! I would be on my way to get that trans if I was closer, Maryland to Oregon would be a longgg haul haha

Charrlie_S I will look up my engine and trans again to see what years I have and give you a PM

I just don't have much room in my model t body so if i could eliminate the console shifter that would be nice.

I guess another option would be setting up a cable system instead of a rod and make a small shifter to mount on the bottom of the dash or something.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:23 pm 
Offline
Turbo Slant 6
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:49 pm
Posts: 700
Location: Houston, TX
Car Model*:
ProCycle wrote:
I believe you would need a '65 or earlier 904. They do indeed have 2 cables. One for shifting and one to lock it in park. The shift cable enters the transmission under the tailshaft housing and the park cable enters the transmission on the left side.

FYI, looks like you got your cables crossed while typing.

_________________
Somehow I ended up owning three 1964 slant six A-bodies. I race one of them.
Escape Velocity Racing


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:51 pm 
Offline
EFI Slant 6
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:25 am
Posts: 384
Location: Springtucky OR
Car Model*:
SpaceFrank wrote:
ProCycle wrote:
I believe you would need a '65 or earlier 904. They do indeed have 2 cables. One for shifting and one to lock it in park. The shift cable enters the transmission under the tailshaft housing and the park cable enters the transmission on the left side.

FYI, looks like you got your cables crossed while typing.

Yup, you are correct. I just have all the pieces laying on a shelf. Never looked close at it when installed.

I opted for a newer 904 and B&M shifter in my '65 barracuda.

_________________
--> Check out my FI Turbo build <--
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:21 am 
Offline
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:00 am
Posts: 27
Location: Southern MD
Car Model*: 1929 Dodge Roadster
If anyone has any ideas, the casting number on the drivers side is 2806830-6 indicating its a 225 1968-70. I wasn't able to look behind the alternator bracket to read the date code for my engine. The trans number is 351804A3456 which looks like it makes it a 71. I may use an old steering column from a 1927 chevy that has the throttle and ignition advanced lever and may try to set up one of the levers to operate the trans via a cable but haven't looked everything too closely yet.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC-08:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited