Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:50 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: 833OD swap
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:36 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Putting together parts and pieces for a 4 speed swap into my 76 pickup. It currently has a 3spd manual in it. Is there any way that the slip yoke on the original drive shaft will work for this swap or do I need to source a different one. What transmission can I use as a donor and can I just swap it onto my existing driveshaft? I think that I remember reading that a yoke out of a 727 TF is the same as an 833 tailshaft but the 3spds are the same as the 904. Are the U joints the same for all or will they be different?

Also what is a good starter for the high mount bell housing? I have read a little on upgrading to a "current" mopar starter, but want to get something that will last but will not break my dwindling bank.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: 833OD swap
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:45 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
For Trucks the yoke should be A-833OD and TF727... in cars that can be either depending on the year of A-833OD... either way you can jack the rear of the truck up, put on jack stands, pull the yoke and count splines.

The yoke should swap right on when you get the right one.

You should also be able to get a mini-starter for a 1992 Dodge Dakota or Ram for a 5.2L for about $30-50 for the best starter...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:26 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Swung by a local u pull it yard today and low and behold they had an early 80's shortbox d100 with a 318 A833OD trans sitting in the lot with a good amount of front end damage. There were multiple interior panels thrown about inside the truck so I crawled underneath hoping that there would be a shifter still bolted to the trans. No luck. So I thought that maybe I should just pull the trans and bell. Upon further inspection the front impact was such that it broke both drivers side bolts that hold the trans to the bell and I believe that it snapped the trans input shaft because the clutch and pressure plate were intact on the flywheel but the trans was cocked at about a 20 degree angle.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:48 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Will a Hurst Comp Plus shifter for a Charger work on my 833OD trans? Jegs has one that says from 65-72 mopar. I am guessing that I might have to do some modification to the floor. It was already cut up to put a bad universal floor shifter for the 3 spd. Were there modifications to the OD vs the original 833 in how it shifts? IE reverse is actuated different somehow?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Hurst/530/3914076/10002/-1#qaTab

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:26 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
Were there modifications to the OD vs the original 833 in how it shifts? IE reverse is actuated different somehow?

The only difference is the front most shift toggle is flipped different than the standard A-833 because the 3-OD gears are backward in the case vs. the A-833 OD... (the Od case 3rd is direct and the shift collar locks the input and main shafts... OD is not locked and driven through the counter shaft in the case... standard 833 the 4th gear is direct and collar locks the input and main, 1-2-3 are run through the counter shaft....) This has no change in the 4 speed shifter/ function or the shift rods, just the position of the toggle so the shifter shifts 3rd and OD properly...)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:32 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
That shifter will work but the shift rods may not be correct. You can mod them to work. I used a Hurst super shifter 3 in my 'Cuda that was universal and I had to modify the shift rods to fit. A b-body pistol grip handle would look nice in a truck.

1985 D250 360 46RH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:20 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
So Jegs website has a question and answer section on their website and I asked if that shifter would work and they said that it was not compatible with the OD trans. Must be the shift link rods not working. I might just call Brewers and see if they have a rebuilt shifter and linkage for sale.