Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:14 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: transmission leaks
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:34 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Hey guys so I can't seem to keep my old 904 from leaking everywhere I just did the pan and now my shift lever is spewing fluid out I haven't even been driving it as I'm rebuilding my weber carb right now is this an easy fix? Do I gotta drop tranny thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: transmission leaks
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:27 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: 75 Dart SE (2),75 Swinger, 74 Dart Sport,91 Ram RV
I no longer have the part numbers for that shift shaft seal, maybe someone else can help. Yes, you need to pull the trans to get to that seal. Unless you are crafty, and don't mind cutting a hole through the floor pan just above the lever. Then get crafty to get the old seal removed and the new one into place. That worked for me. Others on this forum will have other ideas also.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:14 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
What are you working on? Unsure of the early cable shift / push button units... assuming the later solid linkage units, no, you don't need to drop the trans. In fact there are factory type tools to do it from the top. The kickdown seal is a separate piece as well.

It's a royal pain from the top depending on how much room you have. It's much easier to do it from the bottom. You don't need to drop the trans, just the valve body, which is relatively easy. Drop pan, remove filter, maybe 7-8 screws, and it comes out as one piece. The old one gets driven out the top, from the bottom. The new one gets driven in the same way. The kick down can be replaced while the valve body is out.

The previous seal may have worn a groove in the rooster comb so take note - that would chew up a new seal quick. You may need to smooth the collar on the comb out with some sandpaper, or replace it if it's bad enough.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:40 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Hey fellas I got a tool that allows to pull the seal with valve body in the car you do it out the top the car is a 68 valiant 2 door with 904 slant six it doese have a Lokar floor shifter in it that may be the culprit I think the rods are not set right cause a bind on the seal I will dig so more and find out for sure thanks again for the help you guys are awsome