Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:32 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:20 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: Valiant
I posted this in the Engine thread, but my questions also involve the transmission.

Hi, new member, most of my experience is with Studebaker and Ford. Still learning the ins and outs of Mopar.

I bought a 1960 Valiant Suburban, it has the slant 170 and 3-spd trans. I would like to install a 225 and the A833 trans. Or, I may keep the 170 and still want the 4-spd trans. Questions:

- Is the 225 a direct bolt-in? Same motor mounts, do I need to change the K-member?
- I see MABBCO advertising remanufactured 225 short block engines, anyone have experience with their engines?
- Will the A833 trans bolt up to the 170 (I assume it will to the 225)? Same bell housing, or do I need a new one? I know that I will need a new shifter and maybe clutch plate?
- Anything else I should consider in making a decision about swapping?

I have not fully checked out the 170 and 3-speed. It does drive, but I don't want to tear into either until I know which way I am going with this drivetrain.

Thanks, Parks

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:03 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I too have a 60 Valiant suburban, V200, 170 with the pb TorqueFlight A/T.

In 1960 (first year for Valiant, that year a standalone make for Chrysler), the 170 was the only engine offered. I do not believe the 225 from the full size Dart of the same year will physically fit in the bay of the Valiant without mods, but some others can probably chime in here to confirm or correct me.

What are you trying to do by changing the engine to the 225 with the A833/4-speed? More roadworthy with better power? Or eventually rodding it out?

Unless the latter, consider keeping it stock or making gentle mods to achieve your ends. The 60 suburban is probably the most unusual Valiant of the bunch these days, and rarely appears, even for meets. It's a shame there aren't more of them, but hey, we have an unusual car. That's fun, too.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:50 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
See here .