Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:36 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:58 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
greetings is it possible to put install an input shaft part # 1949 842 into a 1978ish 4 speed trans? the 78 trans appears to be for a v8-the shaft is for a 1960 slant six plymouth with a903 crash box
should just fit right in there haha,received this 1960 plymouth savoy with out any original transmission.it had what i thought was a trans that would work although it was the correct pattern and bolted up to housing.the e brake drum was not present and the input shaft was incorrect the clutch never even reached the spline area of shaft when installed-v8 tranny with same bolt pattern? and the 78 trans will need a diiferent bellhousing so i got two wrong trannys ,would be happy with a decent original a903 box if i could find one--thanx in advance

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:52 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
The 1978-ish 4-speed would be an overdrive unit and those used a larger input bearing and retainer than earlier 4-speeds and almost certainly a 1960 3-speed. It shouldn't matter anyhow as these 3 and 4 speeds usually had the same length input shaft. For instance I put a 1981 truck transmission into my 1954 truck and the input shaft length was spot on. Other changes were made (bellhousing bore and transmission bolt pattern), but not the input shaft length.

I'm very surprised that the 4-speed bolted up to the 1960 bellhousing. Are you sure it's a 1960 bellhousing?

Can you post a picture of the transmission and the rear of the bellhousing? I'm curious to see what you have.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:26 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
sorry i should have been more specific the trans that was in the trunk was a three speed of some sort,but didnt have the e brake band like most pre 63 manual chrysler set ups. this trans did bolt up but the input shaft spline was set back a little and the clutch did not even reach the spline area,i did not even try the four speed that my father gave me because i measured the input shaft and it was the same as the three speed i tried earlier and the pattern of the mounting bolts was way different,so i guess the other trans i tried is a syncromesh model for a v8 post 63? can i change out the input shaft in that trans to a 6 cyl input shaft? car is in cali at dads place so pics right now are not an option.bell housing on 60 plymouth is correct for that year slant six

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:32 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
his trans did bolt up but the input shaft spline was set back a little and the clutch did not even reach the spline area,

This can happen if the clutch disc is installed backward... it also can happen if the A-833OD is from a Chevy not a Mopar....

Quote:
can i change out the input shaft in that trans to a 6 cyl input shaft

there is no difference in input shaft length between slant six or V-8 on the standard transmissions... the only change would be the spline count on the input shaft...

The next problem is that the input shaft between the two wouldn't be compatible as the internal gear ratios would be different.. and mopar did change gear pitch/tooth counts
during production (I have a few A-833OD's and some had a course pitch gears with a tooth count ratio of .66... others are fine pitched and a .75 ratio...)... so that fix is probably
not going to be the best choice...

So I'd check the disc to make sure it's facing the right direction...(and the spline count is correct for the transmission). Then either install the 3 speed... or get a late bellhousing for the
A-833OD if it's complete, and make that all work.