Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:47 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Truck OD shifter rebuild
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:49 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Found a used shifter for my trans swap that i have planned finally, now I want to rebuild the shifter itself before I install it on the truck. Does anyone have a PN for a rebuild kit for the OD truck shifter. I know that it is a hurst product but can't seem to find anything on Hurst's website.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:07 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
There is no real rebuild kit... most of the parts are durable and just need to be cleaned and regreased.

There are parts that may need to be replaced, there is a round nylon washer that gets old a brittle, the aluminum plates
between the shift plates can get bent up and may need replaced if dented and mangled... The springloaded alignment
key can also get worn and may not let things line up right while crossing neutral...

Take lots of pics as you go, most likely you will get it apart and find you'll need to order a few parts (some individual parts can be gotten
at Brewer's or Passon).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:36 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Thanks DI, when I looked at Brewers I could see the individual parts for what they had labeled as the A833 Hurst shifter for X-X model year A body. This shifter is the same for all bodied cars and trucks? It just mounts in different locations on the trans?

Thanks for all the help, your powers in the slant are great.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:41 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
This shifter is the same for all bodied cars and trucks? It just mounts in different locations on the trans?

Yes, I ran a shifter out of a 1981 Dodge truck in my Duster for a while, then rebuilt a 1978 and 1976 shifter, no difference in the 1975-1987 A/F/Van/Truck shifter... just the rod lengths and location of mounting.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:24 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Thanks again, the shifter is a bit rusty but it moves freely and seems to engage all the shifting levers ok. I sprayed a bit of wd-40 on it to clean it up a bit. When I pulled the mounting plate to clean it up, the nuts seemed to be thread locked on. Was that a factory thing or did someone along the way just do that? It would make sense that they are locked somehow but do not know the correct application. would there be a section in the FSM for my 76 about the shifter?

Really appreciate all the help.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:09 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
No factory just air wrenched the bolts into place and moved on down the assembly line... the previous Owner may have had the shifter
come loose and decided to use thread locker.

Mopar considers the shifter as a unit from Hurst, so there isn't a section with the rebuild steps/ exploded parts chart (most likely a faulty unit would be sent to hurst and a replacement
off the shelf would be installed...).