Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:10 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Thats weird
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:19 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Every thing that I have read and been told is that my yoke from my 3 spd will not fit the 833 OD that I am swapping for a better highway gear. Finally got around to pulling the old drive shaft and low and behold the yoke slide right in with no slop. I even counted the splines to make sure that they are the same (29 each). I guess that all I need to do is to pull the old trans and replace all the old stuff with the new old stuff and replace all the U-joints. They were almost square.

Post subject: Re: Thats weird
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:35 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
Every thing that I have read and been told is that my yoke from my 3 spd will not fit the 833 OD

Mopar made some changes back and forth in the late 70's... I know that 1975 and 1976 A-body A-833OD output shafts have the A-727 size yoke and spline... I also know that the 1978 F-body A833OD I had previously installed in my duster had a change and the spline count/yoke will fit the A-230, A-904, etc... (I would suspect the reason was similar to the use of an offset drilled 5.125" IBR for the A-230 and other 3 spd transmissions to use the A-833OD bellhousing in late vehicles....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:57 am 
Guru

Car Model: Many Darts and a Dacuda
Just double-check to be sure that the 4 speed you have is really an over-drive 833... if it is, you have an easy swap ahead of you.
DD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:01 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Talked to a guy at Brewers and gave him the numbers off the bearing retainer and before I read the last number he was certain that it is an OD. I am now worried about the length of my drive shaft, I hope that both trans are the same length. I think it is an A230, but there have been some weird things with this truck due to its history.