Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:15 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: A-904 out for a refresh
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:51 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
I pondered performing a DYI freshening of the Darts 904 for the last few years, even bookmarked a series of Youtubes on how to preform the task. In the end I decided to drop it off at a nearby transmission shop with a great reputation with instructions to put "V8 guts" in it, that is to say extra clutches, 4 planetary gears, all the soft parts and maybe a drain back check valve etc. The pump, looked good, and valve body was replaced 22,000 miles ago. He said the 2-3 up shift flair up that has plagued this unit was due to a worn glazed band and tired clutch pack.

I got a call the other day from the shop after disassembly of what needed to be replaced; several bushings, a band and the V8 up grade parts... Quote was 900 bucks. I gave the go ahead.

My thought was based on how repair projects on this car often require three attempts to get it right, I'd be ahead to let someone that knows their stuff handle that 100 pound pile of parts ripe for mistakes by an automatic transmission nob. And well worth the cost vs pulling it back out once or twice to make it work right... I'm too old and stiff for that crap.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:54 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1965 Plymouth Belvedere I
I guess the key is having a shop you trust. Me...not so much. I haven't found anyone I really trust with my engine, trans, etc. The daily driver stuff sure, but not the race car stuff. I have learned a lot over the years so I guess that bridges the gap. Research is key. The down side is that it takes longer, but I can live with that. I actually like tearing things down and rebuilding them. I wouldn't want to do it for a living, but as a hobby, I enjoy the build as much as using the end product.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:07 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Quote:
let someone that knows their stuff

when I made the decision to build up a 904 for the 68 Barracuda,
I got the recommended 904 repair - build up books, read those, got a suitable 904 and disassembled it.
as I was getting ready to order the new parts and plan the process to put it back together,
I made the decision to let someone that really knows what they are doing, do the assembly.

I contacted A&A Transmission, showed them what I had and we talked about the car the 904 was going in and what the transmission needed.
They agreed to do the assembly. I asked them if I could observe the assembly, not because I did not trust them, but because I wanted to learn about the process. A&A replied that they get folks that fly in from all across the nation to watch their race transmission be built. Customers request to be on site on a regular basis. So I was.

It was pretty neat. I was totally impressed with the attention to cleanliness, the close inspection and re inspection for burrs where parts go together... They have a very precise, hand-bench assembly process. More robust against assembly induced errors than what I would have done.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:20 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
DYI: Do Yourself In
DIY: Do It Yourself

(see also: PVC/PCV) :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:41 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Dan:
Quote:
DYI: Do Yourself In

Yup, you got it. For just $900 hopefully I crawl under that heap of iron only one day to frig with its transmission, and not multiple sub floor pan excursions.

All other bassackwards notations are attributed to faulty brain, and or troll that occupies my subterranean basement office known to swap keyboard keys around under the cover of darkness, and land my screw drivers and tape measures at an unknown location only to reappear the next day in plain sight. Go figure.

Any other reasons would be nothing but road apples.

82' LeBaron Convertible; the new Chrysler Corp

07' 300 C AWD; Now by Fiat, the old new Chrysler LLC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:56 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Update on trans rebuild. I got it back last Thursday $927 with "O" ring for filler tube. They upgraded with 4 gear planitary and drum, new pump, new band that engages in high (cause of my 2-3 up shift flair-up), bushings etc. $552 parts, 6.5 hours labor.

That part of the project is now checked off the list.

82' LeBaron Convertible; the new Chrysler Corp

07' 300 C AWD; Now by Fiat, the old new Chrysler LLC