Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:19 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:37 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model: 1964 Dodge Dart 170
Hello everyone,
Newer member here with a question about my trans. 1964 Dart with a 170 slant and the A904 auto with pushbuttons. I just had the trans out and I rebuilt it. I resealed everything (within reason) with autotrans fluid resistant RTV. The parking cable cover has decided that it wants to be a chronic leaker...It drips from the allen head screw on the bottom and from the hole the parking cable enters. The drip literally appears on the bolt that holds the cable in place once it is reinserted. So, the allen head will get a good cleaning with solvent and either RTV or teflon tape wrap. What can I do about that cable hole? Larger diameter O ring on the parking cable? RTV on the O ring before it is inserted? RTV up in the bore after the cable is inserted and before the hold bolt is put back in? Any advise as to how to stop this leak would be greatly appreciated. Its not enough to cause a driveability problem, but it leaves a good sized puddle after a few days of sitting in the garage.

Thank you,
Doug

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:55 am 
Guru

Car Model: Many Darts and a Dacuda
Remove, clean and re-seal the plug and the cable o-ring as you describe but carefully inspect the plug threads and the o-ring to be sure nothing is damaged.
A small amount of RTV on the o-ring works... once so hopefully it will seal and you will not have to deal with the added RTV clean-up, needed if you remove the cable again.
DD

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:23 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Doug has it. If the cable-metal interface leaks after that, I have cut 5/16" fuel hose (or trans cooler hose, maybe 1/4"?) lengthwise so I can slide it over the cable. I put some RTV in and around the hose and cable housing, then slip the hose over the cable housing and use several zip ties to hold it in place. That cured a leak I had in the cable housing.

Lou

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 2:17 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Thank you for the replies! I will give it a try and see if I can't stop that darn drip. I will report back with the end result after some time for the rtv to cure, and then a couple of mile drive to warm things up and stir up some ATF.

Doug

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:38 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Just wanted to follow up and say I finally got the trans repair/reseal done. I pulled each bolt from the parking paw cover one at a time. I added some ATF resistant RTV to each bolt and washer. Finger tightened each bolt and let it dry for the recommended time period before taking it to the proper torque spec. I also added the RTV to the threads of the inverted hex plug that opens to the cable release, and RTV'd the o-ring on the parking paw cable. BAM! problem solved. My trans is completely dry! I wont have the chronic trans fluid puddle under the car anymore!
Thank you for all the help and recommendations. This forum is wonderful.
Doug