Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:53 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 6:27 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 1929 Dodge Roadster
The previous owner installed a lokar kick down cable and after reading through articles on adjusting it, I believe it's installed backwards. The engine is a 225 with a Holley 1920 and a 904 transmission in a hot rod roadster. When the throttle is applied the kickdown cable moves toward the transmission so it does not pull on the kickdown lever on the transmission. In the attached picture the throttle cable is closer to the carb and the kick down cable is just to the right of the throttle cable. Do I need another bracket to make this kickdown set up work?

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 6:32 am 
TBI Slant 6

Having trouble adding photos. First it says they must be under 2mb then I upload a photo that is .9mb and it says too big must be under 256KiB.

To better describe it without the photo the throttle cable and kick down cable are moving in the same direction. I assume they should be moving opposite.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 6:42 am 
TBI Slant 6

Here is hopefully a photo

Attachments:
20190531_092539_50_1_50_1_79.jpg
20190531_092539_50_1_50_1_79.jpg [ 195.87 KiB | Viewed 4860 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:09 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Yes, that looks like it is installed not necessarily backwards but incorrectly. On a cable style kickdown linkage, the cable must be attached to the carburetor in such a way that the end by the transmission is pulled towards the back of the transmission. Stated another way, the cable end by the carburetor must be pull out of the sheath as the throttle is opened. On Mopar carbs this usually requires fabricating some sort of bracket that puts the attachment point for the kickdown cable on the opposite side of the throttle shaft centerline as the throttle cable attachment point. The throttle cable should get shorter as the pedal is pressed but the kickdown cable should get longer.

On your carb the kickdown cable should attach on the same side of the throttle bracket as the throttle return springs.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 11:01 am 
TBI Slant 6

Thanks that's what I thought needed to happen. I mounted the kick down cable near the choke stove and used the same hole as in the picture but it did not create enough pull on the kick down cable. I made a little bracket to extend above that hole so it has more leverage to pull the cable. I will take it on a test drive this afternoon and see how it does. Once I find a decent priced 4bbl intake I will use that along with an adapter and a 350 Holley 2bbl carb which will make mounting the lockdown much easier.