Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:58 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Bad LUK
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:57 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: 1965 BARRACUDA FORMULA Six
In the spirit of frugality I bought a LUK clutch set for the Picnicuda from Partsgeek. #05 003. Diaphragm spring in description and image. The clutch that arrived was lever style and # on the box is 05 003. I’m returning it, and further research shows sellers offering diaphragm spring #05 003 and lever style #05 004. Looks like I was shipped the lever style in a box labeled for diaphragm style. Anyone have this issue? Feels like trying to save $50 gave me a $100 headach.

Post subject: Re: Bad LUK
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:16 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: 68 Valiant
Can't help you with the part number mixup but in general LUK clutches are a high quality item. They don't pursue the 'hot rod' markets so their name is not as known as others, but they are known for good quality.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:19 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Many of the clutches for the slant six, come with a smaller disc then the pressure plate. So check that also.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:34 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
I love the title of this post.

Good wordplay!

Back to clutch discussions!

Greg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:00 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Charrlie_S wrote:
Many of the clutches for the slant six, come with a smaller disc then the pressure plate. So check that also.

The clutch I got (not installed, yet), is a "Perfection". It is a 10 inch three lever style, with a 10 inch disc. It was ordered for a 84 D-100 with a A-833OD trans. Two other clutches I got, were 10 inch pressure plate, but smaller disc, (I think 9 1/2"). The perfection clutch came with a TO bearing with a plastic housing. I had read of problems on the plastic housing breaking, so I called perfection, and they did send me a TO bearing with a metal housing.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:49 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
You have to watch ordering a 9 1/4" or 10" clutch for the slant six. Since we aren't a high quantity buyer in the market a lot of products
aren't carried anymore and most databases aren't being updated in real time... most likely LUK didn't sell too many of the diaphragm
clutches in this size since they don't hold up to hipo slant six clutch dumps, and the diaphragm clutch requires the overcenter spring
to be removed at the clutch pedal to make it work right...most mechanics don't want to mess with that, so the lever clutch cover being "stock"
probably is being stocked with a note in the warehouse to use the lever part number to fill diaphragm part number orders as they are
cross compatible. As Charlie stated watch the disc size, to keep the run of 273 9 1/2" clutch discs salient, they are now dumping spare discs
in the 10" slant box to combine and trim down parts. I had this similar problem a few years back trying to get a standard LUK diaphragm clutch
for the 1980's 11" slant six truck application... after a few "send it back", try this part number, I had to use the part number for a 383 equipped truck
to get the right pressure plate and disc.

Be also aware that most auxiliary auto parts sites are ordering from a single vendor/supplier but they don't update until someone order that part if anything is
really in inventory, they just batch the part request with their other orders and move on from there (which is why other sites show Quicktime bellhousings in stock,
but when the order goes to Holley/QT they no longer make them and you get a "we're sorry" note back a few days later.

I would be interested to see how Charlie's perfection clutch runs, but you have to be careful with the 10" clutch and cover in the older 3 speed bellhousings, as they are
a little less roomy than the "unified" A-833OD bellhousing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:02 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

In street driving is there a noticeable difference between lever and diaphrahm clutches? Pedal feel, upshifts, etc? If this mixup persists, any downside to the lever style?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:39 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
A diaphragm usually feels a little lighter than a Borg and Beck for a given pressure plate load. They drive fine, but I prefer a good B&B as I can more easily find the engagement point. Others may feel differently. Also, a diaphragm cover is usually shorter than a B&B so the clutch fork pivot may need to move towards the flywheel.

Why does it work this way? A Borg and Beck cover has a linear increase in release force that corresponds directly with release travel as the coil springs between the cover and pressure plate are compressed. The driver is aided by the clutch over-center spring under the dash. Without that spring your leg would feel all off the rising effort with clutch release. With the stock release system you feel part of the force increase. A diaphragm spring doesn't work the same way. Once it's flexed beyond a certain point it "gives up" and the effort required goes down. If you pair this drop in effort with the aid of the over-center spring the clutch can be overly light or may fail to reengage after a shift.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:09 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Thanks, Joshua. I checked the local stores and nobody listed a diaphragm clutch except NAPA, and it was the same LUK #. I rolled the dice again and ordered the 05 003 from Rock Auto. It arrived today and is a lever style. I’ll install it and cant help but think without bad LUK, I’d have no LUK at all.