Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:42 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:36 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model: 1983 Dodge D150
So my 1983 D150s tranny started really whining here the last few months. So bad that I’ve quit driving it. It’s got the 4 speed A833 in it, so I took it to a tranny shop I trust. They said it was a mess and quoted me $1900 to fix it. Hard and expensive to find parts. Now I bought the truck for 1500 so I wasn’t exactly thrilled to hear that.

So my hopes is that: 1: Someone on here as a used one for sale they’d be willing to sell me. I’d even throw in my old one in the deal if they wanted it for some reason.
2: Someone on here has experience rebuilding these transmissions for me to hire.

To be specific about the problem, it whines really loud when in neutral, 1st, 2nd, and 4th. 3rd is pretty quiet, and it goes away anytime I press the clutch. Now I’ve overhauled Diesel engines but a transmission is too daunting to me. If anyone has any leads or is willing to help it’d be appreciated. Thanks guys. I'm located in Northwest Indiana. About 1.5 hours out of chicago.

Last edited by Supachet148 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:06 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: 68 Valiant
That's alotta bread...

You don't say your location, which will help someone who might be able to help you.

There's always Brewer's and Passon, too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:25 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model: 1983 Dodge D150
GregCon wrote:
That's alotta bread...

You don't say your location, which will help someone who might be able to help you.

There's always Brewer's and Passon, too.

Thanks for the location catch. I looked into passon. They got rebuild kitsch, but it seems quite daunting rebuilding it myself.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:07 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: 68 Valiant
They will rebuild yours for you, or exchange it for $1100. Still money but cheaper than $1900 and you'll know it was done right.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:27 pm 
Triple Duece Weber

Car Model: 1972 Dodge Colt
I have one I will sell. Where are you located? Do you know which extension housing is on your transmission?
Mine looks like this one.

Attachments:
IMG_0528s.JPG
IMG_0528s.JPG [ 34 KiB | Viewed 3984 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:46 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Don't be afraid to try rebuilding it yourself.
Owning an older vehicle is a great opportunity to learn since they are comparatively simple.
If you can do an engine, you can do a manual transmission.

It sounds like the bearings are going bad in the countershaft, which is a large one-piece cluster of gears that rides on little needle bearings.
It has no load on it when the trans is in 'direct' (4th in an 833, 3rd in an 833od), but is working in all the other forward gears.
It's a common problem area in the od trans since it's carrying a heavy load in 4th/od.

"A mechanic is Somebody."
- Jim Preston

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:20 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
I remember when I had that trans in a couple of vehicles, it would get low on fluid and whine like that.... fill it up and it went away... though I never let it whine long. 3rd in that trans is "direct drive" so less parts involved in making it go, no load on countershaft etc like in the other gears. Check it out, might be "that" easy.
also where are you located, might help someone speak up as to "Yeah I have one" or Hey I can stop by for a look" if we knew, some may have what you want but reluctant to reply because shipping really can be a pain on something like a trans...