Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:19 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:37 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
A post titled "Sealing oil pan & timing cover" back on Jan 29 under "Engine" also entailed sealing a leak at end of Transmission tail shaft. My second post under the above topic is below:

Quote:
Feb 3; with help from my son we pulled, re-gasketed oil pan and timing cover, and stuffed the old slanty back in to engine bay. Just electrical connections, carburetor, speed-o cable, drive shaft and fluids left to install. I'll probably get back to those little things on Wednesday once my body stops creaking.

One other leak I hope is now repaired was oil seal at end of transmission shaft. After close examination after car had sat unused since Thanksgiving the never ending dripping of fluid looked to be coming from between metal shell of seal and tail shaft casting. Once engine and trans was out with good lighting and old (1.5 year old) seal was removed, there looked and felt like a cluster of corrosion had built up along bottom of casting.

Scraped out the corrosion down to clean metal, buffed it up with 3M green pad, and spread a very thin smear of the blue stuff such that it would seal between horizontal and vertical change of axes preventing any fluid to reach buffed up area, and not intrude on transmission internals. Hopefully both new timing cover and tail shaft oil seal fixes the incontinent one.

The transmission was drained down via a drain plug in its deep pan in preparation to pulling engine & transmission. Now engine and trans are back in car, transmission has been filled thus far with one gallon of transmission fluid, and shows high on dipstick, and is in need to be topped off. I have not yet had a chance to start the engine because car is in my basement all snug and warm awaiting a warm day to be pushed out in the open to be run so coolant and trans fluid can be correctly filled. That day is going to be Monday Feb 24 when Feb in Maine gets into high 40's, in fact into the mid and low 40's for the next five days or so; very, very unseasonable for this neck of the woods.

While waiting for a warm start day, I have observed no transmission fluid dripping from transmission after performing the above removal of corrosion and a dab of blue sealer applied to back side of new oil seal, and retourquing of pan bolts. Previously after several days of car sitting unused there would be a 4" dia. or more puddle of fluid on floor under end of tail shaft. The converter would drain back over flowing the pan, high tide one perhaps would say, and fluid would drip, drip, drip out between seal's metal body, and tail shaft.

I'm happy with the fix so far.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:04 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Up date:

That warm day came, got the car outside, topped off radiator which took for ever for thermostat to open and burp. Drove it up the street and back into basement. There on the floor was a steady line of red oil drops... As well a big red spot in the snow where parked for radiator top-off. Now what the hell?

Tightened the rearmost cooler line, swapped end to end rod between floor snifter and detent arm, it wouldn't pull into 1st, and another test this time inside in neutral for a few seconds. Still leaking! This is a PIA, because the old convertible sags just enough so the doors won't open when on jack stands. Turns out the front cooler line was loose, but with two exhaust pipes, bell-housing, and all the rest of the rigg'en in that spot it took three different wrenches to turn nut enough get it tight enough not to dribble.

So today I'm reporting an oil spot free zone under my 67.

Happy, happy, happy.

82' LeBaron Convertible; the new Chrysler Corp

07' 300 C AWD; Now by Fiat, the old new Chrysler LLC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:54 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Congrats, Bill!

Lou