Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 9:30 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:24 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Greg Ondayko wrote:
StrokerScamp wrote:
Greg Ondayko wrote:
I added content to the post.
I still need to compile a parts list..
I am not quite sure what trans mount my swap used.. so I need to get a part # for that as well.

It's a mostly complete detailed document now.
Hope it helps out you future T5 Swappers!

GReg

Greg, I keep coming back to this thread to bone up and learn more before I start cutting Vixen up. I cannot thank you enough for this thread. I wouldn't be doing it otherwise.

whoo hoo! another satisfied slanter.

In my next life I will be an automotive journalist.
I guess I should to learn to type and write better first.

Measure 2x-4x cut 1x!

:D :D

Glad you are finding some use out of this, Rob
I want to T5 at least 3 more of my cars.
I really should get with Gill Welding to provide a floor/cross-member Kit that makes the whole process even easier!

Greg

As slowly as I'm progressing, maybe they will have it for sale when I am ready. LOL

It is enough that Jesus died and that he died for me.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:13 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: 1971 Ply Duster
This may have been mentioned, I skimmed after reading post #1.

Would it be beneficial to the community to have these adapters made? Are these currently being sourced locally anytime someone is doing this swap? The plates themselves look relatively easy, once we had a usable file. I have a laser, CNC mill, etc and wouldn't mind making a batch of these if beneficial and if someone had a file, or a sample part to work from.

If interested, lets talk. Neat to see these builds!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:51 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Thanks for your interest and your offer. There are a bunch of plates floating around that have not been used. Gillwelding.com has been making them on a batch basis, and they may have some in stock, so please check them if you want one soon or want to see what they have done.

Cheers,
Lou

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:24 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Not to jump off topic,
But if Ardentindustries is interested in producing a Slant Six performance product, a few that come to mind are:
1) a two piece timing chain cover, to allow cam timing changes.
2) a performance baffled-side kick out oil pan.
3) down pipes for Dutra Duals
4) a tall - fabricated valve cover
5) the ever popular aluminum cylinder head.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:54 am 

Car Model: 68 Valiant
John, Gill posted a pic of #3 on FB yesterday. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:42 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
I feel somewhat accomplished, I have done a few of those things. :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:46 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
A bell housing for a 10 1/2" clutch that doesn't cost a few mortgage payments would be nice.

I have done #3 for personal stuff and wouldn't want to get into that market. To many variations and to many complainers.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:40 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
I have been ghosting on the forum in recent weeks after years of life getting in the way of working on my valiant. I was a member of the 2005 group buy for the bellhousing all those years ago, but the car it was destined for and the BH are both long gone along with most of my old parts stash. I have decided to convert my remaining 1965 904 equipped valiant to manual trans and can't remember a few things.

Is it necessary to start with the 833 OD bellhousing? Is this mainly for machining or is it for flywheel selection. Can normal 3/4 bells be used if they are bored out.

I have spent the last 4 years with a manual trans daily driver and don't see myself having as much fun with an auto at this point. I have access to a metal lathe for some small level fabricating and a non CNC milling machine so I could probably whip up a single custom adapter for my own personal use but it is nice to see how much the hobby has progressed in the past 15 years.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:03 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
You could use the ubiquitous 3 speed passenger car bell housing or the more rare '64-'66ish heavy cast iron piece, but the problem with those is that they would need the bearing support hole machined to accept a T5 or T5 adapter.

The od bell housing does not have this issue as the id of the input bearing support is much larger.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:25 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Greg Ondayko wrote:
You could use the ubiquitous 3 speed passenger car bell housing or the more rare '64-'66ish heavy cast iron piece, but the problem with those is that they would need the bearing support hole machined to accept a T5 or T5 adapter.

The od bell housing does not have this issue as the id of the input bearing support is much larger.

That is good to know. I thought that was the case but I couldn't remember. Since you made this nice swap resource would you mind adding some of this to the BH section in the first post.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:45 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Hello,

In post #1, point #4 it says what bellhousing to begin with.
I do need to add the gill welding information to that first post, so I should get back there to edit it.

Greg

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:22 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
We began the install of the T5 in Ryan's race car. When we use the new T5 input bearing it drops into the crankshaft adapter freely. It does not press in. By my measurement it is just about .001-.002 larger than the bearing. It is supposed to be driven in, correct? My question is, will the adapter inside diameter shrink the .001-.002 when it is driven into the crankshaft. Thanks for your help.

Rick

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:57 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
No it will not.

I had this trouble too, but I did not realize it until a tearddown and removal of the transmission.

I might suggest mushrooming the ID of the crank pocket adapter or using some shim stock and loctite or get a new crank pocket adapter made with a smaller ID.

I believe I loctited in mine in the second time and that seemed to work well. On a race car with skookum vibrations, I would get it right with a good interference fit.

You just need someone with a lathe to make some quick work out of some bar stock for that.

Greg

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:13 pm 

Car Model:
Oh, weird. Where did this adapter ring come from, Gill? The ones I had made 18-20 yrs ago were interference fit and I have used 2-3 of them. Yes, they should press in and interference fit. I would not trust loctite, but maybe JB Weld?? I assume you have the big hub crank and can use the T5 pilot bearing as bought and not have to drive out the bearing part?

Hmmm.

Lou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:28 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
No this is Seymours race engine with the"Small" register crank. We have to drive out the needle bearing on the Ford adapter. The Kit we have has 2 adapters with it. The "small" crank adapter looks like it is the the right OD, but it looks to be just about .002 to big on the ID.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next