Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 11:48 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:01 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
Has anyone tried swapping an early Dakota 8 1/4 rear end into an A body? I know the spring perches would need to be moved. And I'm not sure about driveshaft length changes needed. A friend has a complete 3:91 open Dakota rearend that I think would make a nice addition to the GodsRods Duster. Price is $225. Any ideas, suggestions, war stories welcome. Thanks.
Rob

Post subject: dakota rear end
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:32 pm 
87-96 Dakotas use the same length rear end housing, whether 7-1/4, 8-1/4 OR 9-1/4 (usually 4wd) 87-90 have a 5 0n 4-1/2 bolt pattern (AKA: LBP) for A body people, 91 up use a 6 bolt wheel. I was wondering about the same swap into my Volare, they also used the 8-1/4 in some Cherokees. I own a 90 Dakota, (I'm waiting for the 7-1/4 to self destruct, I beat this thing like it were a 3/4 ton, hauling, towing, etc) and plan on getting under it to measure things up when I get closer to putting the rear end back in... good thing, most Dakotas I've seen come with either a 3.55 or a 3.91 ratio, although they mostly have OD, too. If it measures up, I will probably be looking for 2 of them, 1 for the Dakota the other the Volare. Around here, $225 is CHEEP for a Dakota rear end, even a 7-1/4... in the JY's, $400 is more like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:43 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

For anyone interested,...

The early Dakota 8.75 rear end has the same spring perch location as the A body (At least in this case). I was even able to use my 10" drums from the 7 1/4.
Yes, the rear end is approximately 3 inches wider on each side, so early A bodies may not work unless you go for the "stink bug" look. You also need to shorten the driveshaft. On the Duster running lower profile rear tires, it was a quick and easy way to go with a stronger rear end and swap from 2.76 to 3.91. The local pull a part sells complete rear ends for $80-$100.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:29 pm 
How does that compare width wise to an F body??? Oh. I never knew that Dodge built an 8.75" rear for a dakota. Must be a rarity. If anyone finds an 8-3/4 (8.75) for a Dakota, please lemme know. I'd love to dump the
7-1/4 that is in mine. Its a 90, last of the 5 on 4-1/2 models, 91 they went to a 6 bolt. Actually I need like a 3/4 ton full size, but til I hit the Lotto, this one'll have to do. Other than 2 dead injectors in the 40k I have had it and the paint that is falling off the bed, it has been a great little truck these past 3 years. And No, I don't want a 94-up, they're ugly aand over priced. I'd love to find a 1980-something little old mans truck, 4 speed, 4WD all the better. Better yet, a rustfree pre '72. Yea, I know I'm dreaming now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:44 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Oops! Sorry about that. I meant 8.25 (8 1/4). I am more used to typing 8.75 I guess. Sorry for the confusion. If I remember right, the F body rear has wider spring perches, but is only about 1 1/2 to 2 inches wider overall. It's in the chassis book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 6:56 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
I backed my dakota up to my dart and they look pretty close... The one thing is the dakotas have a lot of offset on the wheels! like a front wheel drive offset. If you want to use the dakota rear you will have to order wheels with 4+" off offset or get a pair of wheels off a cop car (4.5X5 with a lot of offset) and they come in 16"rim stock.
Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:17 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Certain Minivans and the LH cars (Intrepid, etc.) have the same 114.3mm (5 X 4 1/2") bolt pattern and will have a more negative offset to get the wheel further in.
The other FWD cars with a 5 lug pattern are 5 X 100mm which is the same as the 5 X 4". I put a 15" wheel off of my Le Baron on an A body 7 1/4" rear end I had in the garage. The tire came within about 1/4" of the leaf spring, so it may be a little too much offset. Some measuring and pull-a-part hunting might score some better choices.

Rob