Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 4:09 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:23 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
OK, in 1964 the transmission fluid filter on torque-flights became internal. Prior to this including my 63 Dart, the filter is external and sits just off to the side and below the starter and mounts on a bracket on the engine block. does anyone know where I can get a replacement filter??

I went to Autozone and when they stopped laughing :lol: they did actually find a cross reference but it was listed as a Purolator oil filter??

Any experience with this??

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:09 pm 
Guru

Car Model:
The in-line filter has been discontinued for many years, most people just get a 64-65 in pan filter and use that. (Be sure it is the 64-65 filter, it has two oil feed hole for the front and rear oil pumps used in the 60-65 cable shift 904 trannies)

If you looks around you may find an old NOS in-line filter, they pop-up on ebay and at swap meets now and then.
DD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:10 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Thanks alot Doc, I knew the filter went internal in 64 but I did not realize it would also fit in the 63 Pan.

Regards,

Kevin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:49 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
dart63 wrote:
OK, in 1964 the transmission fluid filter on torque-flights became internal. Prior to this including my 63 Dart, the filter is external and sits just off to the side and below the starter and mounts on a bracket on the engine block. does anyone know where I can get a replacement filter??

Yep. That is a very common industrial fluid filter. Fram P1651PL. Probably has to be specially ordered, and is the ONLY Fram product I'll use on my cars, but there it is. Or you can pick 'em up fairly easily from the usual NOS vendors, Mopar P/N 2400124.

As Doc mentions, you can use the in-pan filter, but if you do this make certain you're using the correct one. It needs to have TWO holes ('64-'65 filter), and not just one ('66-up filter). If one hole is missing, you'll starve and spall the rear pump.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:33 pm 
Guru

Car Model: Many Darts and a Dacuda
Thanks for the part number Dan, I am going to see if I can get one of these through my local parts store. Cool if they are still available. :D
DD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:21 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
No problem! I think retrofitting the '64-'65 in-pan filter is one of those things that "seems like a good idea at the time" but brings with it more work and possible issues than it might seem at first. It's tough to put anything *but* the correct external filter in the hardline and have it (a) not leak and (b) not break. You either get to have *four* new connections or take your chances with a length of flex line. A '64-up set of trans cooler lines can be used in '63 cars, but NOT easily in '60-'62 cars (different bends/routing).