Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 12:54 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: converting to automatic
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 11:02 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
OK, here's the deal:

I have a D-100 with an A833OD & clutch that are pretty much trashed. Someone grafted a F-body A833OD into the truck in it's past; and, hacked the driveshaft up to make it work (you should see the crappy welds...).

I've been using this thing as my "daily driver" :shock: while trying to ignore the clutch chatter, bearing noise (roars & howls like a banshe in every gear but 3rd) and occasional gear crashes when the 2nd gear synchro doesn't want to work. Did I mention I drive this every day in traffic :D

Anyway, here's the question: What are the disadvantages of converting the truck to automatic? What problems would I be likely to run in to?

To be honest, I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet. :? I'm ready to start checking the local junkyards to see what's available for parts; I'm fairly certain that finding a good (i.e. fixable :roll:) A833OD shouldn't be a problem. But, because of the availability of (cheap) parts; and, the fact I drive this thing in rush-hour traffic every day, I'm leaning toward conversion. What do you guys think? What's your experience been?

Post subject: Let's see...
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 11:51 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
You'll need:

A truck auto tranny preferred since you have a slant six you're looking for a 1970+ A-727 for slant six from a truck...If you have the $$$ and want to wait a bit AndyF will have a plate setup so you can use any 318/360 tranny (easier to get), or A-500/518 OD (might be more $$$)....
You'll need to check your radiator to see if it has plugs at the bottom where the tranny cooler is, if not, need a radiator out of an auto tranny truck...
Tranny cooling lines from donor truck or make your own (got tubing bender and flare kit? Right?)
You'll need a way to shift the auto tranny, so either new steering column or an aftermarket shifter is in the works...
You'll be able to take all the linkage out and keep your pedal set and just let the clutch pedal lay, and plate off the shifter hole in the floor.
New driveline as the old one is probably hacked, and it won't be the right length for a truck tranny (if you decide to use a car tranny, not many A-727's for that so you'll get an A-904 that will need to be refurbished for heavier duty use).

Now, next up, since you have lost your gas saving .73 OD gear, we need to see what your rear ratio is since you are now going to have something similar to only 3rd gear in your current clutch. If you have 3.55's you might loose a bit of mileage not too badly, if you have 3.91 tow gears, though.....

Someone else jump in here, I know I forgot something in the reverse engineeer list!

-D.Idiot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 12:22 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
You'll need to check your radiator...
Not a problem. Need a new radiator anyway :( I've got a tubing bender & flair tool. It shouldn't be a problem to make new lines; or, I would just take them from the donor.

You'll need a way to shift the auto tranny
Would install an aftermarket floor shifter. I'd have to patch the floor pan anyway; so, while I'm there...

New driveline as the old one is probably hacked,
Most definitely. The driveshaft is straight; but, the welds are UGLY (look like they were done with a stick welder). When they put the F-body tranny in, they added 3-4" to the driveshaft. It needs to be replaced. There's a local company that can make driveshafts. If I can't find exactly what I need, I'll just have them make me up a new one.

if you decide to use a car tranny,
I'd prefer to find a 727 or a 904T out of a later truck. Either way, I'd probably strip it down to put in new clutchpacks and bands; just to be sure. While I'm in there I'd probably add a stage 1 shift kit too.

Now, next up, since you have lost your gas saving .73 OD gear,
Never had it. The A833OD is so screwed up I can't use 4th at all. It'll shift into 4th; but the tranny makes a god-awful, ear shattering, teeth grinding, screeching howl when you let out the clutch :oops: Did I mention I drive this truck every day :shock:

BTW, I think it's got 3.55 gears in the diff. It would be nice to have the OD; but, I do mostly city driving and am rarely at a speed where I can shift into OD. I'm getting around 16-17 mpg without OD in town. I can live with that.

Built from the dead carcasses of others

And brought BACK TO LIFE!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 6:25 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Sounds like your interested in knowing how well the auto's work, if you are...

I have an auto and love. I want to eventually convert to a stick shift, but not because of any issues with the tranny. It shifts smoothly and considering it only has three gears spreads the power out fairly well. If you car's running real good I hear they can shift almost as smoothly as new cars. You'll lose gas mileage, lose the fun of shifting(well, it doesn't sound like your car's much fun to do that in :? ), and lose a little sportiness... but the tranny seems to be just as strong as the slant. Anyway I have the car tranny(don't know the number, could look it up, but I'm sure someone else knows off the top of their head). Anyway, good look, the auto is good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 4:19 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Don't forget the kickdown linkage.
Sound like you've got everything else covered.
I did this swap to my grandmother's truck when her clutch leg gave out. She loves it (esp since I cut up a Grand Am emblem to put Grand Ma on the fender :D ).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 4:37 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Yeah, I'm pretty familiar with what's involved. I've driven the trucks both ways; and, although I kinda prefer the stick, I'm getting really tired of shifting back and forth between 1st, 2nd and neutral for 1/2 hour or more every morning. It's not so much the shifting as it is the clutch. Admittedly mines screwed up; but, it's a pain to be riding that clutch constantly for the commute. :roll:

I was just wondering if there's anything unusual I'll run into with the swap -- anything Dodge or /6 specific that I might run into. Oh yeah, I had forgotten about the carb end of the kickdown linkage... I'll have to look at that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:08 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Have you considered replacing your manual trans with an identical one and using a hydraulic clutch? Less cutting and engineering and the hydraulic clutch will be easier on your knee. Much less b/s with this approach IMO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 7:16 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Actually that's the other option I'm considering. If I put an A833OD back in, it'll definitely be with a hydraulic clutch.

Here's what I've got to deal with (stuff that needs doin'):
replace clutch pressure plate & disk.
pull the flywheel & resurface it, if it can be saved...
find a rebuildable tranny then replace all the bearings and seals.
find or buy(new) a good driveshaft.
Undo all the hacks done to put in the f-body transmission.
Install hydraulic clutch master and slave.
replace radiator (it's full of pinholes).

So it's a wash: either way it's pretty much the same amount of work. unless I'm missing something, the only extra steps required for conversion would be changing the shifter, adding cooler lines and hooking up the TV cable.

Of course, if I keep the manual, I'd might have OD to use on the highway... It may come down to what I can find in the junkyards.

Post subject: I vote for the auto
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 1:22 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1974 Plymouth Duster
I've driven other manual trannys with hydraulic clutches, and it does make a difference. However, my vote would be for the automatic. I will confess to prefering to do my own shifting, but for a daily driver in heavy traffic I greatly enjoy giving my left knee and foot a rest. I lived in Virginia Beach for 4 years and know the kind of traffic you are dealing with, especially if you have to traverse one of the main tunnel/bridges during your commute. I would think its a no-brainer for you at this point, especially if the amount of work involved is close between the two.

My 2 cents, Brian

74 Duster, 225, rear-mounted blow through turbo at 12psi boost, street/strip car
"Sixy Beast"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 6:09 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Thanks guys. I'll let you know once I've got the tranny in.