Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 10:26 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: 73 Plymouth Valiant ?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2001 7:02 pm 
I have found a 73 Plymouth Valiant here for $500 and I'd like opinions if it is worth the money.

It is a 4 door with a 318, the engine is really dirty and there is oil leakage around the valve covers. The car has 115,000 original miles on it and though I was told it had been sitting for about 6 months it started up on the second try, though the battery was a little weak.

The body is rust & dent free it is from South Carolina and is owned by the Granddaughter of the original owner. I know the car will need some work and I am willing to save it, but I will also be driving it.

Any Guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
James

jsbgraphic@netzero.net

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2001 7:45 am 
James,
Sounds good to me! The best advice I can give is to suggest that you consider more than just the condition of the car. Last fall I purchased a 63 Valiant, 225, 125,000 miles which I use as my daily driver ( I'm only about 4 miles from work). Mine also has a solid body, slight oil leak when I got her (just a valve cover gasket) and plenty of grime under the hood! The weakest part of mine was the interior, which made it perfect for my project (check out my website). Some of those questions to ask yourself;
* How much driving will you be doing until you get her fixed up? Stop & go city or highway driving ?
* How much of the work can you do yourself, or can you afford to pay someone else to do it?
* What are your driving habits, remember, it's not necessarily how fast you drive, but how "gently" you get to speed, and back down to a stop that affect the condition and wear on any machine.
I might start out slowly because I realize I'm driving a 38 year old car, but I do get up to speed to keep from pissing off other drivers! Keep in mind that some people get it, and some don't. Most just look and smile, they realize that they are sharing the road with a piece of automobile history. I've also been cut off or passed on the curb by idiots that couldn't care any less, all they know is that they are late for work or something (maybe they should try to leave on time instead of driving like maniacs!). I guess it's like driving a Harley instead of a crotch rocket Japanese bike. As for obtaining maintenance type parts, you may be surprised like I was as to how many parts are still available new. If you have a Advanced auto parts near you, check them out. Recently I was able to walk in and get a master cylinder and brake shoes off the shelf for my 63!
Good luck, Dan

http://reptylart.homestead.com/plymouthvaliant.html
reptylkrib@aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2001 8:16 am 
Thanks Dan for your encouragement, I drive about 17 miles to work, 95% of it is Highway. I have a 75 Dart with a 225 Slant 6 that I drive right now, however it only has 60,000 original miles on it and is in A1 shape.

I have just been impressed by it and started looking for another mopar. Like your 63 the interior of the 73 is really rough, but I can fix all that myself as long as I can obtain or find everything I need.

In any case If I purchase it, I will keep everyone up to date by creating a web page.

Thanks again James
(User Above) wrote:
:
: James,
: Sounds good to me! The best advice I can give
: is to suggest that you consider more than
: just the condition of the car. Last fall I
: purchased a 63 Valiant, 225, 125,000 miles
: which I use as my daily driver ( I'm only
: about 4 miles from work). Mine also has a
: solid body, slight oil leak when I got her
: (just a valve cover gasket) and plenty of
: grime under the hood! The weakest part of
: mine was the interior, which made it perfect
: for my project (check out my website). Some
: of those questions to ask yourself;
: * How much driving will you be doing until you
: get her fixed up? Stop & go city or
: highway driving ?
: * How much of the work can you do yourself, or
: can you afford to pay someone else to do it?
: * What are your driving habits, remember, it's
: not necessarily how fast you drive, but how
: "gently" you get to speed, and
: back down to a stop that affect the
: condition and wear on any machine.
: I might start out slowly because I realize I'm
: driving a 38 year old car, but I do get up
: to speed to keep from pissing off other
: drivers! Keep in mind that some people get
: it, and some don't. Most just look and
: smile, they realize that they are sharing
: the road with a piece of automobile history.
: I've also been cut off or passed on the curb
: by idiots that couldn't care any less, all
: they know is that they are late for work or
: something (maybe they should try to leave on
: time instead of driving like maniacs!). I
: guess it's like driving a Harley instead of
: a crotch rocket Japanese bike. As for
: obtaining maintenance type parts, you may be
: surprised like I was as to how many parts
: are still available new. If you have a
: Advanced auto parts near you, check them
: out. Recently I was able to walk in and get
: a master cylinder and brake shoes off the
: shelf for my 63!
: Good luck, Dan

jsbgraphics1@netzero.net

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]