Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: disc brakes
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 9:25 pm 
hey all i just picked up as set of disk breaks with master cylinder, and power booster for 100$$ they are off of a 72 duster or so i am told they are the larger 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern. The power booster is shot all the rubber and stuff is bad. I was wondering where i could get a new one or if i could get a kit to fix it.

Starbravo@aol.com

Post subject: Re: disc brakes
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 9:43 pm 
Any parts shop should be able to get you a rebuilt unit.

Chuck
(User Above) wrote:
:
: hey all i just picked up as set of disk breaks
: with master cylinder, and power booster for
: 100$$ they are off of a 72 duster or so i am
: told they are the larger 5 on 4 1/2 bolt
: pattern. The power booster is shot all the
: rubber and stuff is bad. I was wondering
: where i could get a new one or if i could
: get a kit to fix it.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 11:12 pm 
1972 was still the small 4" bolt pattern. Better measure it.
Bob Troy
(User Above) wrote:
:
: Any parts shop should be able to get you a
: rebuilt unit.
:
: Chuck

rftroy@aol.com

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 7:15 am 
(User Above) wrote:
: The power booster is shot all the
: rubber and stuff is bad. I was wondering
: where i could get a new one or if i could
: get a kit to fix it.

Brent? I'm not so sure you can get a kit to repair boosters. If I'm not mistaken,there's a rather stiff spring inside, that to be opened by the average backyard mechanic, would be very hazardous to the health. There ARE places that do refurbishing of your old booster. Don't know any names, offhand, but I'm sure you could find an ad in Hemming's or Mopar Collector's Guide.

Roger

GTS225@aol.com

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 9:23 pm 
(User Above) wrote:
: 1972 was still the small 4" bolt pattern.
: Better measure it.
: Bob Troy

yeah thats what i thought i think the guy i bought it from was mistaken. it is a 5 on 4 and a 1/2. i think it is off a 73 or later model duster. it has the slotted roter and looks like a single piston caliper but i might be wrong. It has the dual master big in back small in front and they crappy power booster i took apart that is rusted ot inside and the rubber is all torn up. well to the question the guy took them off with a torch befor i got there and cut the contol arm in half but it looks like mine existing one will fit but do you think it will?

Starbravo@aol.com

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 9:58 pm 
also i didn't get a proportioning valve do i need one? If so can i get a new one and how much about? Or do i have to go junk yard hunting for a prooritoining valve.

Starbravo@aol.com

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 12:52 pm 
(User Above) wrote:
: also i didn't get a proportioning valve do i
: need one? If so can i get a new one and how
: much about? Or do i have to go junk yard
: hunting for a prooritoining valve.

You need to use the spindles from the doner car and these spindles have a larger ball joint than 72 and older cars forcing you to use the upper control arm too. If your car is 72 or older you will need to hunting the upper control arm.

Hot-Rod 6
dave.clement@motorola.com

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 5:09 pm 
For the Uppers look for one's with the ball joint cap that has 4 sides to it, so it has to be removed by a socket meaning its threaded. The earlier one's have to be pressed in and will not have 4 sides to it for a socket to attach. My master Cylinder what shot too on my change over I went and got a rebuilt on at the local auto parts store about $50 for it, Get the one for power brakes even though you may not use a booster. The diameter inside is smaller and takes the same effort on the peddle as does the manual disc master cylinder... Look for a Metering block from a 73-76 A body car with disc's thats the one you will need to setup the system right. Also if your going to change the whole thing out I welded brackets on the lower control arms for a future swaybar setup... right next to the rivit that holds the lower control arm together...
Best of Luck...
Brian in CA.
65 Valiant V200 Convertible 273 disc brakes
65 Barracuda 225 disc brakes

jj1valiant@yahoo.com

Post subject: Heres the brake catalog.
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 7:38 pm 
This is the raybestos brake catalog for plymouth cars. You could use it to see whats the same on what cars. Its a newish catalog so all the numbers should be good.

<A HREF="http://hackme.dhs.org">http://hackme.dhs.org</A>:8080/techdoc.html

cralt@optonline.net

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]