Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:50 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:58 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Saw this on AR Engineering's website:

http://arengineering.com/products/therm ... nsor-port/

--Walt Jackson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:41 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1964 Dart GT
I am installing a Holley Sniper and wish I saw this earlier. I ended up teeing off of the upper heater hose from the head.I Had to cut down the boss on the tee so it could thread in and clear the head.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:05 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Andy F at ar comes up with some nice stuff.

Greg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:47 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: 1966 Plymouth Valiant
I don't believe that will fit the slant. pretty sure everything else uses a larger bolt pattern. I tried a couple different ones before I gave up trying to find one

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:08 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Probably not.

If it fits a big block then it might be a bit big.

Greg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:49 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1966 Dodge Dart
Some later small blocks used the same pattern as the slant - I'm using one of those for a straight water neck for my own installation.

I ended up drilling the cylinder head for a second temperature sensor myself. Tip - ask the parts store for a sensor for a 2000 Saturn SL2 with the 1.9 DOHC; it's the standard GM calibration curve but only 1/8" NPT thread.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:09 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 1968 Barracuda - Fastback
I see this and wonder if you could tap into this to run in/out hoses to heat the intake plenum? I suspect you would need at least one check valve, sort of like how a cast-iron radiator works for a house.

This would be a very clean installation with nice short hose lengths if possible.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:01 pm 
Guru

Car Model: Many Darts and a Dacuda
The thermostat cover spacer with a threaded tap is a nice solution but sad to say that the V-8 Mopar T. cover has a different bolt spacing then the SL6.

When I need hot water for manifold heating, I use the coolant by-pass outlet tapped hole, in the head, under the thermostat area, Get access by removing the straight nipple and installing a 90 degree elbow and nipple.
Route the return coolant back to the water pump's by-pass nipple. This goes into the suction area of the water pump so no check valve is needed.
DD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:13 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
csheehy wrote:
I see this and wonder if you could tap into this to run in/out hoses to heat the intake plenum?

You could run a hose from this fitting to supply a waterbox under the intake plenum. Being considerably smaller than a heater hose fitting, It might or might not have adequate waterflow capacity to keep up with the intake manifold's chill.

You could not successfully run a return hose to this fitting, no matter how many check valves or other widgets you might add. In order for there to be flow through the waterbox (or radiator, or engine block, or heater core, or wherever else), one hose has to be upstream of the water pump, and the other hose has to be downstream of the pump.

The short distance between thermostat housing and intake manifold is attractive, but practically speaking I think you're better off plumbing an intake heater in via the heater hose supply (on the cylinder head) and return (on the water pump neck).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:42 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
I agree with Doug and Dan. I think it is physically possible, as Doug states, but I share Dan's concerns that tapping into those points requires a small diameter pipe and hose and I don't knoew if that small volume of coolant flow would have sufficient cooling capacity sufficient for safe use on a street operated vehicle. I don't know if Doug ran such a system on the street or only on drag cars. If he did run it on the street I would love to hear his reports.

This is an interesting idea and worth of some pursuit through controlled testing in different driving conditions with thorough and accurate datalogging.

Heater hose would be an easier, cheaper, and more tried-and-true method of creating intake manifold heat.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:39 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Doc, unless I'm mistaken, I see what you did there (picking the pic of that particular cylinder head—that's the one from Argentina, isn't it?)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:37 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1964 Dart GT
I ended up putting a tee between the heater hose nipple and the port in the head. I did have to cut down the tee boss a bit so it would rotate in without hitting the front of the head.