Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Holley sniper
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:44 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: 1965 A100 pickup
Has anyone successfully installed Holley’s sniper bbd system on their slant? I know it’s listed for the Jeep six motors but was thinking it could work on a slant. Anyone?

Post subject: Re: Holley sniper
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:35 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1966 Dodge Dart
I haven't, but have seen a few pictures of it done. The main "gotcha" (other than that it isn't as capable as port injection) is that it has the worst vulnerability to EMI that I've ever seen on fuel injection, and I spent years working as customer support for MS1 V2.2 boards. Noting insurmountable, but you want to take it into account when installing. Luckily slant sixes have their ignition pretty far away from the fuel system, but keep the plug wires far away from everything and use good quality spiral-core plug wires.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:20 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Mark Charapich has the 2bbl system on an offy or clifford intake (adapter plate) on his medium-hopped 170 in his 61 Valiant. He really likes it and drives it frequently. I can ask him more about it. He does not get on the site really, but comes to Slant 6 races and events sometimes.

Lou

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:44 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Appreciate the responses guys. I’d like to try this, but am very concerned about any issues and difficulty of installation. Please keep info coming. Thanks,Steve.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:40 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Just got off the phone with a rep from Holley. He stated that one thing (but not necessarily the only thing) that would lead one to think the Holley sniper bbd would not work on a slant six is the throttle linkage hook up. I mentioned to him that my slant motor will be going into a Dodge A100 pickup, so a new throttle cable and mount would need to be done anyways. He made it sound as if this would be a somewhat easy install. At least as easy as it would be on an AMC straight six! He has certainly piqued my interest! Now my biggest hurdle is the cost!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:50 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Got your PM. On vacation... Ping me back in 3-5 days if I have not gotten back to you.

Lou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:25 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1966 Dodge Dart
Getting creative with the throttle linkage on a slant six EFI installation is pretty much a given.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:08 am 
3 Deuce Weber

I’ve been having to get creative with just about everything on this A100 of mine. Removed I-beam axle up front and installed IFS, added electric power steering, removed leaf spring suspension and added parallel 4link out back, and the list goes on and on. For now the EFI idea is just a wish, not sure if I’ll really do it, but you never know. There have been a few frustrating moments, but for the most part I’ve just enjoyed the challenge. Would I do it again? Probably not!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:53 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: 1976 Plymouth Duster, 225/A833OD all stock
I've thought about the eventually doing the holley 2300 pattern system on the Aussiespeed 2bbl hurricane manifold.....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:00 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
I am (I feel justifiably) prejudiced against Holley's aftermarket fuel injection systems, but these Aussies appear to have made it work well on a Slant-6 Valiant. It also appears they put a great deal of work into it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMKVFpYSo9w

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:12 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
I wouldn't bother with the BBD version and go straight to the 2300 version. Buy or make an adapter to mount the TBI and open the throttle bores to the Holley size.. That way when it craps out you can then install a Holley 2300 or Autolite 21xx series of carburetor.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:30 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
I installed a FITech 4v EFI on my slant to replace a worn out old 390 cfm Holley 4v. The reason I went with FITech is the injectors have a lesser fuel delivery rating than the Holley equivalent. I think it was rated up 300 hp. I do have an aftermarket cam, oversized valves, 9.6:1 compression, ported head, bored .040" over, and headers so it moves more air than a stock 225.

The FITech install is much the same as the Holley, be sure to install their Sniper FI tank or equivalent with in tank fuel pump. The pump pick-up is housed in a slosh box. I firstly installed a frame mounted fuel pump keeping the original fuel tank. It was stupid noisy always buzzing at various speeds depending on fuel usage it drove me nuts. I got my tank and pump from Tanks inc. they were less expensive than Holley's tank & pump, and use OEM pumps. If I had to guess, there is one tank manufacture, and everyone puts their name on it.

The system works well, starts right up, idles down quickly on cold starts, and always smooth on the road under any throttle opening.

My 67 Dart had the cable operated accelerator & transmission kick down, and it all bolted right up with a little cable adjustment. I did have to reuse the Chrysler throttle conversion cam from the old Holley 390, and install a longer stud to hold the throttle & kick down cable clamp I had for the 390 4v.