Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:46 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:23 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Ive been thinking of Using a learn burn dizzy and gm 8 pin module to get some kinda computer controlled timing but keeping the carb..is this possible?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:29 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
The problem would be the timing map and what it was for, nothing is really like a slant six, at best you would break even on keeping your mileage, worst would be very bad performance. I would also suspect that you would have to mate it to a crank trigger and some other interfaces to give the HEI 7 or 8 pin module the right input. For the trouble it might be better to go with an MSD-6 Programmable or maybe Megasquirt has an inexpensive solution to the same goal.

-D.Idiot

Post subject: Edis?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:49 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
what about just going for the ford edis system?

78 AMC Concord 258

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:01 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
The Ford system would require the installation of a computer brain box, and if you are going to do that you might as well go al the way and convert to fuel injection. The problem is what DI mentioned- the spark map in the Ford computer will be set up for whatever motor and application it was originally intended for, not your slant six. Performance probably wouldn't improve.

Personally, I say stick with your stock systems unless you are going to go all the way and convert to a fuel injection system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:57 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Ok thanks guys this was just a project i was lookin at doing on another slant six car with points...i just wanted to see if it would work at all with the ccc thing

78 AMC Concord 258

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:21 pm 
Supercharged

If you have points then you should upgrade to electronic ignition (HEI is best) but don't worry about anything fancier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:33 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
ok ill grab some modules....but there isnt a way i could atleast try this?

78 AMC Concord 258

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:23 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
When I think OEM electronic spark (only) system, what comes to mind is the chrysler spark computers from the '80s with the vac can. (ugh!!)

Most every other electronic ignition was integrated into a fuel injection or feedback carb system. In order to make any of these work at all, you need to use the computer, most of its wiring harness, & most of the engine sensors. MAF/MAP, coolant temp, Throttle position, air temp, etc,etc. You're talking about alot of fabrication effort to get very questionable benefits- if any. The computer needs all these inputs in order to figure the "correct" ignition advance- which is correct for the original engine- not a /6.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:44 pm 
Supercharged

WagonsRcool wrote:
When I think OEM electronic spark (only) system, what comes to mind is the chrysler spark computers from the '80s with the vac can. (ugh!!)

Ugh is right.

WagonsRcool wrote:
Most every other electronic ignition was integrated into a fuel injection or feedback carb system. In order to make any of these work at all, you need to use the computer, most of its wiring harness, & most of the engine sensors. MAF/MAP, coolant temp, Throttle position, air temp, etc,etc. You're talking about alot of fabrication effort to get very questionable benefits- if any. The computer needs all these inputs in order to figure the "correct" ignition advance- which is correct for the original engine- not a /6.

Not true. All major car brands had electronic ignition from the early 70s on. Computer controlled ignition did not come into being until the mid 70s, and wasn't in widespread use until the early 80s. Millions of cars were built with electronic ignition and a carburetor and not computer.

Post subject: Lol
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:02 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
well im just gona recurve these dizzys and use the hei modules and coils...what plus is best?im running autolite 26 but its a bit too hot..

78 AMC Concord 258

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:40 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
Computer controlled ignition did not come into being until the mid 70s, and wasn't in widespread use until the early 80s.

What I meant was "electronically controlled advance ignitions" ( oops-- didn't make it from my brain to the keyboard. For some strange reason viewers haven't figured out how to read minds yet; :shrug: I knew what I meant-right?)

225 - 4 bbl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:53 pm 
Supercharged

:wink: :lol: I figured that was what you meant. I was just poking you with a stick. Image