Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:46 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: D100 Carb advice
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:26 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
I had put out a question as to a fuel related issue basically my D100 runs sweet
them shuts down I have to prime carb to geter going once more & from that point it my go 10 miles or 2
It decides . I original thought that the gas treatments I used fixed it but it ended being a false alarm
I have fixed some issue like leaking fuel lines that cured a symptom but the did not correct the main issue
I have a new fuel pump ready to install BUT I don't think its the issue
Once it is stalled out if I look down carb I see it is putting in fuel so I figure fuel pump is working and carb it self has fuel in it
When I put gas in to carb I see carb does leak some fuel at linkage I suspect air fuel ratio is getting messed up
----------------
So if I change out carb would now be the time to retrofit D100 away from the Lean burn Air pump not to mention different type of gnition ,

Post subject: Re: D100 Carb advice
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 2:28 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
What year truck? Is it a 2bbl or 1bbl? Have you adjusted the valve lash (if it is a pre-1981 truck)?

Lou

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 2:53 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
1986 with 2 bbl
It's kinda baffling to me , cuz when it is running during the select moment's
it feels perfect but regardless it's just a matter of time from 10 min to 20 ,
but it will happen , it dies like running out of fuel
Yet when pulled to side of road
there must be fuel in carb cause I work throttle and I hear fuel sizzle in with each pump
BTW choke is not blocking no vacuum leak's noticed
but yesterday I noticed it sounded like too much air like a Hiss SHHH sound then out
easy to restart just prime in a little fuel & off to the races once more till repeat like I said 10 min to 20

the slant 6

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 10:14 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
After advice of no value from many , particular since even a 1986 slant with carb is becoming foreign to
many at auto parts stores . Ya know you have to figure it your self as no computer telling what's up .
So after using the Dodge many thousands of miles in a cantankerous state Meaning it would run out of fuel and
I would have to prime it with fuel or starter fluid to get off and running once more . It was fine till it would act up.
The auto parts stores wanted to sell me a Carb . But I figured since i could just use as is , in time I might figure it
Cause things were not Adding up as a carb problem (when it ran it was Fine )
I figured the place to start is towards fuel tank . . I replaced some rusty and leaky lines ( but did not correct )
new fuel filter ( Not the issue ) .new fuel pump ( Not the issue ) So now I knew No gas line breach no clogged filter
or malfunctioning fuel pump Hmmm
So I drove it and let it stall out good and strong . And it occurred to me , if it is a bad carb the fuel filter should be FULL
especially since all the work I just did BUT the fuel filter was empty . wow no fuel getting to carb .
Has to be the fuel pick up line INSIDE tank There is the breach .
I filled tank and so far no more stalling . I suspect below half full is when the Fun starts

I am impressed SEE my dodge Dakota rear axle is bust so the D100 was all I had to get to work I used it in messed up mode & you know it got me to work in increments of 10 miles or so & for all the dousing carb with raw fuel
to restart . The Slant 6 is a real work horse able to really handle abuse Running as happy as can be nowAfter advice of no value from many , particular since even a 1986 slant with carb is becoming foreign to
many at auto parts stores . Ya know you have to figure it your self No computer telling what's up .
So after using the Dodge many thousands of miles in a cantankerous state Meaning it would run out of fuel
I would have to prime it with fuel or starter fluid to get off and running once more & it was fine till it would act up
Auto parts stores wanted to sell me a Carb . But I figured since i could just use as is that in time I might figure it
Cause things were not Adding up as a carb problem . .
I figured the place to start is towards fuel tank . . I replaced some rusty and leaky lines ( but did not correct )
new fuel filter ( Not the issue ) .new fuel pump ( Not the issue ) So now I knew No gas line breach no clogged filter
or malfunctioning Hmmm
So I drove it and let it stall out good and strong . And it occurred to me , if it is a bad carb the fuel filter should be FULL
especially since all the work I just did BUT the fuel filter was empty . wow no fuel getting to carb .
Has to be the fuel pick up line IN SIDE tank . There is the breach .
I filled tank and so far no more stalling . I suspect below half full is when the Fun starts

I am impressed
I'll explain , see my dodge Dakota rear axle is bust so the D100 was all I had to get to work I used it in messed up mode & you know it got me to work in increments of 10 miles or so & for all the dousing carb with raw fuel
to restart , the Slant 6 is a real work horse able to really handle abuse .
For now it is running like nothing happened . Soon enough I will take fuel tank down to correct it
maybe next month for now just Keep it full of fuel

the slant 6

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:59 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1965 Plymouth Belvedere I
I had a 72 D100 with the cab tank. One day, as I was putting a bottle of gas treatment in it, I accidently lost the little foil bottle seal into the tank. I didn't think much of it until my truck would begin to mysteriously stall from fuel starvation at completely random intervals. It took me forever to discover that the little foil disk was getting sucked up against the end of the fuel pickup tube (no filter sock on it). Once I was able to retrieve the dang foil thingie, my problems went away.
You may not have this problem, but you will likely need to think outside the box to figure it out.
jus sayin

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 9:46 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Since I replaced some of the metal fuel pipe with rubber hose
I put in a fuel filter before the fuel pump ( A filter for the 1980 has no fuel return outlet to tank )
I am not excited to pull tank down but I'd like to know I can run my fuel tank down with out the stalling
Since the truck is not a show truck I could carefully cut a square at point of importance
and fix with tank in place but Even I have a love for this old Bugger and I don't want to jimmy
rig fix , ill have to see.
These trucks have that Core good old fashion operation (to a point)
that on a sunny day with no one around , you can get in the ZONE
and often figure out what's up with common sense
can be rewarding compared to modern stuff that you just
toss towel in with disgust

the slant 6

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 4:18 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
I had to pull the tank on my 86 D-150 to fix the fuel sender. When I pulled the sender/pickup, I found a previous owner had put a piece of rubber hose on the metal line of the pickup/sender. Evidently the line had developed a leak. If that was the case it could act like you describe.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:15 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Yeah the sender - The breach is higher up then I thought once I use about 4 to 5 gallons issue starts (like clock work )
With a full tank sooo sweet
https://www.ebay.com/itm/81-87-Dodge-D- ... SwJ01be0la

the slant 6