Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:04 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:32 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Good morning all,
At long last I'm back to work on my 62 Lancer. This is a four door, bench seat, four speed, 170 and Hyper Pak car. Kind of a vague tribute to the NASCAR Valiants. I completed the suspension a few years back with an aggressive Firm Feel kit put together by Dick Ross, ford explorer rear end with 3.73 gears and four wheel disc. I did a track day and the car was amazing in the corners minus the oil pressure issue. However on the long straights the Honda Fit would lap me every time. Hopefully that is about to change...

I have a second 170 being built with spec that was designed with help from this site. I need to dig up the thread. Anyway the most daunting task will be the Megasquirt conversion. I am doing this so the car will be drivable across more conditions without heat to the intake and fuel puddling. I also will convert my Powerjection turbo Valiant to MS if I accomplish this project first.

I have the MS 3.57, MS relays and JimStim. I've ordered the MS 8' wiring harness, wideband controller and sensor, GM IAT. I have Weber injectors iw-031 17.5 ohm and flow 280 (27). and s strange sort of spread bore TB that is probably 1100 or more CFM. I'm thinking a single venturi in maybe 50 to 60 mm size would respond and tune much easier?

I intend to at least initially set this up as batch fired and run the existing distributor. However if possible I would like to put this together as if I intend to move to sequential and distributorless. But initially I want this as simple as possible, but with expandability.
I would rather put a more time into the installation and hope for less time in troubleshooting. I am willing to lose a bit of top end power for drivability and tunability.

What should I do for a coolant sensor? Do I need to make a second port in the early head? Are there recommended MAF's and throttle bodies? What is the preferred wiring and install locations for avoiding RF and heat? Is there and sort of baseline programing or maps that can help get her running? Do I need a surge tank and if so where should it be installed? Is there a good crank trigger for later use?
What else have I forgotten or need to know?
Any other sage advice beside aborting the project :D ?

And again thank you! This site has made both cars possible and I'm grateful to all that have contributed information and supervision on my slant projects.

Cheers,

Barnaby

h

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:13 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
I am thinking that you have a MS 2 running the 3.57 software?
Mega Squirt has a support forum, google MSExtra. There is a lot of archival information. And new posts and questions also.
For the throttle body, I run a GM Vortec TB, mine was off a v6 but I believe that GM used the same TB on the v8’s with different calibration. I made a adapter from a 1 inch thick piece of phenolic canvas to mount the TB to the Clifford intake. I machined the Clifford intake nitrous bosses to accept Ford 7.5l injectors.
My MS3 has all GM sensors, the GM sensor calibrations are a selectable option with MS3, the MS2 maybe the same, that makes the sensor set up easy.
For a coolant temp sensor on early heads that don’t have extra ports, I saw somewhere where a spacer was mounted between the engine and the thermostat and housing and then tapped for a coolant sensor.
I think it was a Mopar engine and a purchased part.
I am running a locked Lean Burn distributor and a MSD box, the MS3 controls the ignition curve, easy to set up and programmable.
For a fuel system I run a full return system, 3/8 lines up and back. I think that is easier than trying to find space for a surge tank under the hood of an ABody.
Other folks have used a Corvette fuel filter that incorporates pressure control and a return in the fuel filter.
Good luck with your project.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:10 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Thanks DadTruck,

Yes I believe it's MS 2 3.57 2005. It was given to me without any information. I printed and read the MegaManual and read the Matt Cramer/Jerry Hoffmann book, Performance Fuel Injection(an amazing book) And have dug through many .org threads.

I like the idea of a spacer above the thermostat for the S/U. And I'll start looking for GM TB's.

What did you use and do for fuel lines? I'm considering going to a 63 tank with a 3/8 and return style S/U. It would be nice to find pre made lines that could be mod-ed for filters and pump. I don't have a lift and am not confident in my fab and placement skill without the clearance.

Is there a census on how many have attempted MS on a slant vs, how many were successful and how many were glad they did it? I know of at least 5 including you, but I bet there's more?

I have a successful driving FI turbo Valiant, but I'm not happy with the bolt on system (Powerjection). I wish I would've been smarter and listened and went straight to MS. It would've been cheaper and easier in the long run. It actually might even run well...

I will do my best to keep all posted on my progress and setbacks.
Cheers,
Barnaby

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:54 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
I have a Tanks Inc fuel tank. It is set up for FI with a return system. Has a Walbro pump, you can spec various GPH. I went big as I plan on also going to E85 but have not done that yet.
For fuel lines I custom made / bent stainless, used AN fitting and Teflon/stainless braided flex hose at the tank and engine ends for vibration control. The braided hose with the Teflon liner is useable with E85.
I bought a really nice Rigid brand AN hand powered flare maker. Makes perfect flares in stainless, great tool. If I was doing this again instead of stainless I would use brake - hydraulic line steel tubes available at AZ and other box auto part stores, the annealed stainless tube is just difficult to work with. I got it done, without pro tube straightener and bender equipment it is a job.
Ran all the fuel lines under the car, drilled through holes through the torsion bar mount and ran the fuel line through it. Put fittings on each side so the fuel lines are removable it needed.
Don’t fall for the trap of running a smaller return line than the fuel delivery line.
The smaller return line will make back pressure and make fuel pressure control difficult.

Last edited by DadTruck on Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:31 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
I just looked at Tanks Inc, that looks like great gear and it would be great to have the pump in the tank. If the 63 Dart is the same as 63 Valiant it should work.
By the way your set up sound well executed.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:25 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
I believe that Lou Dart 270 runs a MS 2 FI with a turbo on a slant, and Greg O also runs a MS FI with coil on plug. No doubt there are others. Matt C is a participant here at .org and has ties to MS. Mine has been good, I am a very satisfied MegaSquirt user, with the product and the support.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:42 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1966 2D Dart
[quote="Lobster1"
What should I do for a coolant sensor? Do I need to make a second port in the early head? Are there recommended MAF's and throttle bodies? ... [/quote]

I have made an adapter for coolant temperature sensor located to heater hose. Seem to be working well. It is measuring just the coolant temperature rather than the incoming air sensor which is located to the throttle body adapter build from thick aluminum plate. I will do relocation for air temp sensor.

My 225 is using a 318 EFI 2bbl throttle body over the Clifford manifold. There is also a separation plate inside of the manifold which makes my system as a dual plane. Cylinders 1-2-3 are on one group and 4-5-6 in other. It works well and makes good strong idle with my 236/230 (0.050”) degree cam.

My Bosch ignition coil is from V6 Audi. It is a 6 output waste spark coil with built in amplifier. It has strong spark and does not made any limiters for the slant.

I have used Swedish Maxxecu controller but I am sure those accessories will do their job with MS too.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:07 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Thanks lgu32, I'm thinking along those lines. I may put the Megasquirt sensor in the head and put the dash coolant sendor in a spacer between the thermostat or tee into the radiator hose. Also cool to get support from Finland. I hope to visit someday!

DadTruck, I'll call Tanks Inc today. However when I went to look at the EFI tank it is now out of stock until May.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:41 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
If Tanks can get you a 63 that will work in your 62, that sounds like the best way. I just bought a 63 tank to convert to EFI pump and put in my (Seymour's old) 62 Valiant. I have only run MSI (v2.2) in my cars, since 2002. I have a MS3X (not MS2 3.57) on the shelf that is going into Project V with port EFI, hopefully soon. Seems like a nice system.

Sam Powell ran MS 2 (3.57) for a while with his turbo but it misfired under load - probably a slight dist phasing issue. I think it should work very well if you set up the ignition properly.

Happy to talk more, (was away for long wkend w/zero internet, now back)

Lou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:35 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Thanks Lou! I was very impressed with your MS Dart and any programming advice will be most valued.
Are you planning to run the ignition on your 62 via MS? If it is possible I want to build with the intention for distributorless.
Any other reading besides Megamanual and Performance Fuel Injection Systems. I've been digging through as many old threads as I can find here and diyautotune.
The tank is ordered. Summit has 2 of the Tanks Inc 63-66 a-body efi tanks left.

Cheers,
Barnaby

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:19 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Yes, will run distributorless ign (3 coil pack, wasted spark, with DIYautotune driver).

Hope to get going on this mid summer, but my motivation has been somewhat lacking lately...

Lou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:38 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
I understand. It took me four years to get my motivation back on the Lancer!
Have posted how you plan to set up your distributorless system?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:58 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1966 2D Dart
Here is my example of distributorless ignition. The coil pack includes all needed as it has spark amplifiers inside.

My engine still has a distributor body in it. It is there because I used ti for the cam sensor.

Here is the trigger wheel which is designed as plug and play for slant six damper. There is holes for damper pull out tool as well as the damper center bolt.

This engine uses the original mechanical fuel pump. At the engine compartment I have 1/2 gallon surge tank with high pressure fuel pump and regulator. Return line to tank is a small rubber hose connected to tank ventilation. I never removed the fuel tank for efi installation.

This has been running with injection for many years. In the past the fuel injection controller was my own design.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:47 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Cool Stuff lgu32

I like your Cam Sensor Design, Simple and Effective.

I have a MS II on the Volare Duster Running Batch Fire injection and Single Coil - I had Problems with MS Burning out he Coils (4or 5) of them, but Matt got me setup on a Bosh coil from maybe a '87 Bmw - It's a bosch Unit.

The Ruster Has DIY Autotune coil near plug - It is an MS III but for now just runs Ignition only.

Best of luck! Sounds like a fantastic Project you got there!

Greg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:24 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
lgu32 that's awesome. It's good to hear about long term success. And agree that is a great solution for a cam sensor.

Thanks Greg. It sounds like MS ignition is a tough one. I'm fuel injecting so my Hyper Pak will be useful under driving conditions. But aside from solving fuel puddling, it would be great if I have improved performance too.
In theory and under ideal results is there more potential power from EFI or distributor less ignition? The Fuel Injection book made me think that MS ignition has more potential power, but from my study of .org posts it seems more problematic by far?