Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:24 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Fuel Additives for FI
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:49 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 67 dart 2 door hardtop
Does anyone use fuel injector cleaner or any other additives to their gas to keep their fuel injectors clean? I'm not having any issues, but now that I have fuel injection, I was just wondering.

brian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:15 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Yes. Most of them don't work (except to very efficiently clean money out of your wallet). this stuff works. There's a good amount of evidence for both of these statements.

Today's gasoline is much better at not crudding up injectors, so a cleaner additive is not necessary very often. Once a year ought to be enough.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:02 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Many years ago, someone gave me a bottle of Slick50 injector cleaner, which I put on the shelf. Some time later, I had a chevy with 2bbl throttle body injectors with a very poor spray pattern. Put in the Slick50, only because I didn't have anything else on hand. I was really impressed, at how quickly it cleaned up the spray pattern. Haven't seen it since.

PS: I'm talking about the injector cleaner, not the fuel system treatment.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:58 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 67 dart 2 door hardtop
Cool, thanks guys.

Coincidentally, on a related note, my Caddy (3.6L DI) I think has a clogged injector, getting some sputter under load. I looked up the OEM recommended treatment and they say to use GM Fuel System Treatment Plus - 88865595. I also found a bulletin for cleaning carbon build up on and around the valves (https://www.carmd.com/Tsb/Download/99451/c0f7e87e). It is interesting, as it has this warning:

"Extreme care must be taken not to hydro-lock the engine when inducing the cleaner, especially if it is
induced without Kent Moore Tool # J-45076 / J-35800-A or equivalent. If too much cleaner is
induced at too low of a RPM, or if you force the engine to stall by inducing too much cleaner at
once, the engine may hydro-lock and bend a connecting rod(s)."

Ouch!

Brian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:09 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 1982 D150 225, 2bbl., 833 OD
I've always had good results with Chevron Techron. It used to be the only one that worked, many years a go. They now sell a diluted version as well, but likely not as cost effective. The GM fuel system cleaner is relabeled Techron or at least it used to be. At a higher price, of course.

Using Top Tier listed gas brands which have a full detergent package makes a real difference. In my area, the only ones are Exxon, Mobil, Shell and Valero. You guys in the West probably have a lot more choices.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:38 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
Costco is top tier now.

8)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:26 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Fuel injector cleaner should be used as preventive maintenance.
I always recommend to my customers to use it at every oil service , because you are already working on the engine.
We carry our own brand (FSM) that I usually sell out of to business with fleet trucks , delivery and Taxi's . The other companies I would recommend are Amsoil or Lucas . I believe they have a good product.
If you have a misfire do to dirty injectors it might be to late for something in a bottle to try and fix it.
With the ethanol in the fuel we have out here in California and all the additives they add, some good some bad, It makes our gas garbage. It has definitely increased my fuel injector cleaning business. The ethanol has also damaged alot of fuel systems based on feed back from customers and shop owners and my own experience.

Using a good quality fuel system cleaner is like eating healthy. You may not notice the benefit if everything is ok but if you wait to only do it when you notice a problem you may have to resort to a different or more involved procedure to fix you problem.

If you have questions about dirty fuel injectors, let me know.