Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:23 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:45 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: 75 Dart SE (2),75 Swinger, 74 Dart Sport,91 Ram RV
I'm off the cuff here, but has anyone adapted a 1989 vintage (Dakota V-6) throttle body injection system to an older carbureted Slant? Is it worth the effort?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:30 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
I don't know. Those 88-92 TBI systems are kind of the bastards of the FI world. Not very tuneable, not much aftermarket support, I think every year uses a specific computer. I don't think it would be worth the effort. Maybe save the hardware and find some aftermarket computer to run the TBI?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:24 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Severely lousy system, not worth messing with. Sandy's GM 4.3 TBI retrofit is a much better idea.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:25 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1966 Dodge Dart
The Mopar TBI V6s are odd fire. I'm not aware of anyone who has cracked the Mopar ECU's memory enough to tell it that it's no longer on an odd-fire engine.

Interestingly, the throttle body itself or another casting from the same series seems to have later been sold as part of the Holley Pro-Jection aftermarket EFI package. Some of the Pro-Jection versions lacked the passages drilled for idle valves and other features used on the stock TBI. Using the throttle body with an aftermarket - or possibly even a GM - ECU is not out of the question.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:27 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
There was no idle valve on the stock TBI. It used a clunky, slow, primitive throttle kicker stepper motor hung on the outside of the throttle body and operating on the throttle lever.

It wouldn't surprise me if Holley re-used the castings, or used similar castings for the Pro-Jection system...which has just as lousy a reputation, for many of the same reasons, as the '88-'91 Chrysler TBI.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:46 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: 1964 Dart 270
Dan already mentioned the 2bbl TBI's like Sandy uses. GM also made 1bbl TBI's which can be adapted to a slant six, there are guys out there running 2 1bbl TBI's on some International motors. They work the same as the 2bbl TBI you just wire the injectors to separate banks. So you could run a stock 1bbl manifold or a twin Offy.

https://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116377

http://www.hamiltonfuelinjection.com/ca ... pters.aspx

1bbl GM TBI's were available on smaller 4 cyl motors and a few years of Corvettes (they used 2 1bbls on the Crossfire engines). They flow exactly half of what the 2bbl's flow from what I understand. Use the same computers and everything, can even program ignition if you use the right GM HEI module.

Brandon

https://www.flickr.com/photos/162600228@N03/