Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:19 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:33 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: 1963 Dodge Dart
Good morning! I'm in the process of upgrading to a 90 amp alternator on my 63 Dart. To date I have bypassed the amp meter and installed a voltmeter which is working fine. I have installed a Classic Air AC unit (Vintage Air hung up on me!) and since I also need juice for my portable oxygen unit the original alt was just not cutting it. I have researched and have a 90 amp unit picked out but I need help with the voltage regulator. Will the original work okay or do I need to upgrade that also. Don't want to burn anything up if I can help it! Thanks for any info. I have always hated electrical work and wiring problems. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:03 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Can you show us exactly what kind of an alternator you installed? That will determine what kind of a regulator you need.

How did you bypass the ammeter? What does your power path look like from the alternator's output terminal to battery positive?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:13 pm 
1 BBL (New)

I haven't installed one yet. I have selected one for an 89 Dippy if I can get an early VR that will handle the load. I upgraded to a heavier wire (about the size of a power cable for a lap top) and bypassed the amp gauge by using one side as a terminal post. As you probably know the VR on the early A's has a wire in and a wire out of the little box that screws to the firewall. I just need to know what VR I need for my 63 Dart with the 90 amp alt.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:38 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
oldguy wrote:
I haven't installed one yet. I have selected one for an 89 Dippy if I can get an early VR that will handle the load.

Well, that's easy. Get this one, which will bolt right onto the firewall and the existing wires (ign/fld) will connect directly, without cutting or splicing. Your new alternator will have two field terminals. Connect your existing field wire to one of them. Connect the alternator's other field terminal to ground. It doesn't matter which of the alternator's field terminals gets the field wire and which gets the ground.

Quote:
I upgraded to a heavier wire (about the size of a power cable for a lap top) and bypassed the amp gauge by using one side as a terminal post.

You might want to adjust your strategy; see here.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:36 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Thanks!