Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:46 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 499 posts ]  Go to page Previous 125 26 27 28 2934 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:56 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
I have two different modules, one gm and one standard, both test good on the module tester at work and I've tried them both. I've tried two different msd blaster coils. I still have the original lean burn coil I could try I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:02 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Relay? Wiring?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:09 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
So the starter fixed it. What a difference in cranking rpm between the denso starter and the original which apparently was no good.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:50 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
A new electronic distributor from OCPNW is 98.50 with cap
HEI MODULE~40
Coil ~ 45
relay cheap
If anyone knows of cheaper new part price sources I'm listening

Great thread and if I missed this please point me to it
With current (ha) instructions for wiring the ammeter in dash will still be in series with power to module?
this seems risky to me

I am still running points on 63 dart and the condensors (3) last about 100 miles before giving out for reasons I would love to know.
My worry is that the HEI conversion may fail because same path for power.
Replaced ballast resistor and coil once already.
~ 8 volts to coil cold?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:44 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Planning this mod now..

First.. I'm trying to figure out how to attach links in my wording on this format. Its different than I'm used too.

I've looked at several distributors on ebay with a pretty broad range of prices and then thought I'd check the local parts house and see what they were.. $40! My truck is a 64 but I just looked up a distributor for a for a 79 Aspen. Will this one work?

http://www.autozone.com/external-engine ... ckfit=true

Coil with mount on ebay
[url]
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1056-NEW-CHEVRO ... x~&vxp=mtr[/url]

[url]Pigtai for coil[/url]
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignition-Coil-C ... L9&vxp=mtr

And the 4 pin modules are everywhere ..

Opinions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:09 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
The wiring diagram picture (thread 15779) has errors...87 + on the relay is going to the ground on the ECU and both b + and c - from the ECU are going to the + on the coil. Am I mistaken?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:12 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Dantra wrote:
I've looked at several distributors on ebay with a pretty broad range of prices and then thought I'd check the local parts house and see what they were.. $40! My truck is a 64 but I just looked up a distributor for a for a 79 Aspen. Will this one work??

If you look at the "vehicle fitment" tab on your link that might help. It's right next to the "reviews" tab.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:36 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Dantra wrote:
I've looked at several distributors on ebay

Used: Unknown condition.
"Remanufactured": Junk (especially from Cardone).

Why not just follow the suggestions in the HEI upgrade how-to?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:18 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 65 Dart, 225, 4 spd od, hyd clutch, BBD, 2 1/4 exh
JNL wrote:
The wiring diagram picture (thread 15779) has errors...87 + on the relay is going to the ground on the ECU and both b + and c - from the ECU are going to the + on the coil. Am I mistaken?

Look closer

To your first concern:

85 goes to the ground (at the coil frame) and then jumps over to the ground at the alternator.

87 is power from relay to coil

On your second concern:

See the note in the lower right hand corner of the annotated diagram that "positive terminals are closest to the coil terminal". Also study the article included 3D pictures of the IC29 coil to see there are 4 male terminals. Consequently the Pink wires in the 2D annotated diagram are going to positive terminals nearest the coil tower.
In the 2D annotated diagram they a hidden behind the white wires at the point where they attach to the coil. Said another way the white wires and pink wires attach to different coil terminals.

There are two chevy stock coil connectors at the coil with a total of two wires per connector. The black connector on the left has two wires going to the two terminals on the left side of the coil. Look at the two pictures above the annotated diagram to see the two connectors on the left side of the coil. The black molded connector is the Chevy factory connector which has two separate wires (white and pink) going to two different terminals on that side of the coil.

Think 3D and also 4 terminals at coil (2 positive terminals closest to coil tower).

Hope this helps.

1965 Dart 110k, 225, Carter BBD Super Six, 2 1/4 single exh., sbp manual scarebird front disc, 7 1/4 rear 2.94 sure grip, 14 x 4.5 OEM wheels, 833 OD with hyd. throwout bearing, HEI, electric fan, ram air/heated air, Accusump. http://plymouthcarclub.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:50 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: '70 Barracuda /6 3spd
maybe I missed it, has anyone used a DUI TriPower setup?

http://performancedistributors.com/prod ... stributor/

Post subject: No, but really!??!?..
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:21 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
maybe I missed it, has anyone used a DUI TriPower setup?

Why?

Reman distributor = $88 + core charge (mystery ignition curve...spring kit from bigslant6fan $30 depending on shipping, and an afternoon spent with tools and timing gun)

They drill and tap a hole to mount a $15-20 HEI module to the body...(I could not want the module down where a run through a mudpuddle can make your day go bad quickly)....

'Performance Coil' =$45 (Pick MSD or Accel at Autozone)....

Cost savings= Priceless

I wish I could charge that for one of my recurves...done on a Sun Distributor machine....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:26 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Yeah, what DusterIdiot said. No reason to buy overpriced, overhyped items that are probably junk from China when for less money you can get a result that is certainly at least as good and almost certainly much better.

And you don't even have to buy a 'remanufactured' distributor; for similar money you can get a brand-new genuine Chrysler one from Old Car Parts Northwest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:25 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Hey I want to jump into this thread with some questions. I have read all the articles mentioned on the first entry. i have 66 dart, and the last upgrade I intend to do is the HEI ignition and throw my old points into the trash.

I like the idea of finding a junkyard pull of the entire setup, including the bracket. You mention it as coil/module/heatsink/bracket. And that this will be found on any 95 - 00 GM truck or SUV. Is there any way to tell if the donor is good or not?
Then I also understand I have to get a new distributor. Is that something I can pull from the donor as well? Or does it have to be specific to Dodge Slant 6cyl?

And then I get rid of my ballast.
If there are any updates to the original instructions, or other cars that I can look for as a donor, please reply to the thread. Thanks you slanted bros.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:51 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Quote:
I intend to do is the HEI ignition and throw my old points into the trash.

I would suggest throwing them in the trunk! and carrying a spare control module in the glove box!(for the HEI conversion)
The distributor comes from a later model slant with electronic ignition, you can search the Best candidate for donor, or buy one off eBay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:58 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Let me know if this is not the thread for my questions, but hopefully this is a good pathway for my HEI journey.
Went to junkyard with a list of 12 GMC vehicles to check out. Struck out on all, except the very last one. 99 GMC suburban vortec v8. Had the whole thing, I even took the wires, not sure I can reuse. So I understand the module must be replaced. However the bit above the coil does not look like the pictures on this site. It does not have the large spade connectors. Instead it has a small 3 pin connector. See pic Image

is this the right one? Are there any good pictures of a completed install using the GM setup like I have on a Slant early a body?
$13 plus $1 core charge. They called it an Electronic Coil.

Also I assume that with this setup I do not need my round cannister coil, and also I dont need my ballast. Also what gauge wires are needed for the connections to/from this GM HEI unit?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 499 posts ]  Go to page Previous 125 26 27 28 2934 Next