Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:43 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:30 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: Valiant
SlantSixDan wrote:
Yes.

I promise, when I get this done, I will post images and a step by step for other clueless people...

Parades are rough on the electrical system, too much idling. I don't want to have the revs higher because then I'm just heating up the transmission and wearing out the brakes. My current system of "take the car home and recharge the battery” isn't really ideal. This seems like a good way to resolve the issues and maybe prevent a fire.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:24 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
I use a terminal like this, it makes it easy to attach the (2) leads without rings. (on Amazon)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:29 am 
1 BBL (New)

I found those things for sale. Very attractive but how do I run a large enough lead to the starter motor if the big leads are both attached to the alternator?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:14 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
I just use a brass version of the standard battery terminals.

Then rather than clamp the wire in, I add lugs to all the battery cables and use the screws to hold down the lugs.

8)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:47 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
US Military battery post terminals. They can be had from NAPA in the Belden wire/cable line. Positive: 728223. Negative: 728222. Shown in this thread.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:54 am 
1 BBL (New)

Nice. Is the US Military version technically superior to the emsvitil solution, which seems pretty clever?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:57 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
74val wrote:
Nice. Is the US Military version technically superior to the emsvitil solution

Yes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:13 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Quote:
I found those things for sale. Very attractive but how do I run a large enough lead to the starter motor if the big leads are both attached to the alternator?

There are (4) connection points on those terminals (2) available to hold up to 2/0 cable(00 AWG), and (2) side points to attach the (2) 10 gauge leads to the alternator. Much cleaner and simpler install. IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:28 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
You can do it quickly and cheaply by running two 10ga wires with ring terminals at each end directly from the alternator's output terminal to the battery + terminal. Each of these 10ga wires must have two 50A fuses, one located within inches of the alternator output terminal and the other located within inches of the battery + terminal.

Put the wires in sleeve/loom and route them where they're not likely to be snagged or cut. Across the top of the radiator support panel with anchored zip ties works well, or tucked under the lip at the top of the rad support. Once you've installed these wires your ammeter will no longer read correctly but you won't be running high current back and forth via thin wires through the firewall and low-rated ammeter, which is where the melt/burn/fire danger comes from.

Why a fuse at each end of each wire? Because that's a long run of (very) high-current cable we're running from the alternator to the battery, no matter what route we take with it. If we put a fuse only at the battery end, that's fine if a short circuit occurs somewhere downstream of the battery. If we put a fuse only at the alternator end, that's fine if a short circuit occurs somewhere downstream of the alternator. But if we want to protect against the prospect of big, destructive, costly fireworks no matter where a short circuit might occur in that line (say...like...in the middle of the line, halfway between the alternator and the battery) we put fuses at both ends.

Do you still leave the original wire from the wiring loom attached to the alternator + ?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:48 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: 1969 more door dart
Do you still leave the original wire from the wiring loom attached to the alternator + ? <-------This question is a good one. I did not see it answered anywhere. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:05 am 
1 BBL (New)

Fastdart19666 wrote:
Do you still leave the original wire from the wiring loom attached to the alternator + ? <-------This question is a good one. I did not see it answered anywhere. :mrgreen:

In my travels on this forum, I did see it addressed. Some people leave it and have the alternator adjusted by an expert to make it conform to reality. Others put in an alternator. As far as I can tell people do leave it in, but 98% of the current flows through the bigger wires.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:12 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: 1965 Dodge Dart, 2 dr. coupe, 225 slant six
SlantSixDan wrote:
74val wrote:
For the fuse, are we talking about something like this?, with one lead at a ring terminal and the other connected to the 10 gauge cable?

Yep.

Quote:
Just confirming, the alternator terminal is the one that's marked "output" in this image

Yep.

Quote:
How do you feel about this advice from Dan’s favorite maven [cough], Rick Ehrenberg?

For very little extra money and effort you can do a whole-assed job of it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:29 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: 1965 Dodge Dart, 2 dr. coupe, 225 slant six
Hello,
I just installed a new 50 amp alt. with 4, 10 gauge inline maxi fuse holders with the four, 50 AMP fuses, the way you suggested to help protect my factory stock weak wiring on my '65 Dart. Is the 50 amp too much for my 10 gauge wiring or should I use 30 amp fuses? I've already hooked it up with the 50's. Also, I think I'm just going to hook up the voltmeter.
Anyway thanks for your help, any advice will be appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:15 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: '67 Plymouth Fury I
Perseus wrote:
Hello,
I just installed a new 50 amp alt. with 4, 10 gauge inline maxi fuse holders with the four, 50 AMP fuses, the way you suggested to help protect my factory stock weak wiring on my '65 Dart. Is the 50 amp too much for my 10 gauge wiring or should I use 30 amp fuses? I've already hooked it up with the 50's. Also, I think I'm just going to hook up the voltmeter.

I was wondering (although the topic is slightly outdated) if you could post an image of this particular install? It would help me greatly to visualize this adjustment, since I'm also preparing this.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:27 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
pieranja wrote:
Perseus wrote:
Hello,

I was wondering (although the topic is slightly outdated) if you could post an image of this particular install? It would help me greatly to visualize this adjustment, since I'm also preparing this.

You're going to be waiting a long time for a answer. Do you always resurrect old dead threads?