Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:41 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Two speed Wiper Upgrade?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:16 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I was hoping t steal the multi-speed wiper motor from my '66 parts car for our '64. single speed wipers suck. Unfortunately the switch itself like a weird old rheostat and it is in two pieces. This is something new for me, so lhopefuly someone knows if it's doable with existing harness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:10 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Single-speed wipers have a 2-wire motor, a simple switch, and a simple connection where the crank arm meets the linkage, while variable-speed wipers have a 4-wire motor, that giant switch, and a fairly complicated assembly of cams, springs, shims, bushings, and spring washers where the crank arm meets the linkage. Grab all of that and you're fine, but you will need the correct variable-speed switch for the '64 (wasn't it?) you're working on -- there are different stem lengths for the different styles of dashboard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:12 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
SlantSixDan wrote:
Single-speed wipers have a 2-wire motor, a simple switch, and a simple connection where the crank arm meets the linkage, while variable-speed wipers have a 4-wire motor, that giant switch, and a fairly complicated assembly of cams, springs, shims, bushings, and spring washers where the crank arm meets the linkage. Grab all of that and you're fine, but you will need the correct variable-speed switch for the '64 (wasn't it?) you're working on -- there are different stem lengths for the different styles of dashboard.

Possibly more of a PIA than I was after.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:34 pm 

Car Model:
I donno...if you can get hold of the parts, you've got the car all apart, you live in a rainy part of the world, and the variable-speed wipers really are much less inadequate than the single-speed units.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:23 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
It sounds daunting, but really it's not. I did something similar with a Dodge Omni. Plan your work, and then work your plan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:27 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I'll have some time to think about it since my donor vehicle is under two feet of snow. Variable speed wipers would be cool and my dash is already apart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:36 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Somewhat off topic, but the 76 D100 I just bought has two speed wipers with no delay. I live near Seattle, so I also deal with lots of rain. I have driven the truck a few times in the rain and I have concluded that the two speed wipers, while better than single speed, are really annoying and I plan on adding a delay function in the future. If you are going to be changing your wiper system, then I strongly suggest you skip the two speed system and just go straight to a modern delay system. I see universal-fit retrofit modules going for $40-$60 on eBay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:46 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Reed wrote:
Somewhat off topic, but the 76 D100 I just bought has two speed wipers with no delay. I live near Seattle, so I also deal with lots of rain. I have driven the truck a few times in the rain and I have concluded that the two speed wipers, while better than single speed, are really annoying and I plan on adding a delay function in the future. If you are going to be changing your wiper system, then I strongly suggest you skip the two speed system and just go straight to a modern delay system. I see universal-fit retrofit modules going for $40-$60 on eBay.

LOL my two speed wipers only work on high and thats good enough for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:57 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
I just can't stand windshield wipers screeching across the windshield because there isn't enough water to lube the blade but there is enough to block the view. Drizzle is anoying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:52 pm 

Car Model:
Keep in mind a '76 was built after Federal standards specified minimum acceptable windshield wiper performance. Polara Pat's was not, and the '60s single-speed wipers are too slow to keep up with even moderately heavy rain. The biggest issue with them isn't that they're too fast -- that's easily manageable with the minor nuisance of just flicking the switch every now and then. The problem is that they're too slow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:20 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Quote:
much less inadequate
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:25 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
SlantSixDan wrote:
Keep in mind a '76 was built after Federal standards specified minimum acceptable windshield wiper performance. Polara Pat's was not, and the '60s single-speed wipers are too slow to keep up with even moderately heavy rain. The biggest issue with them isn't that they're too fast -- that's easily manageable with the minor nuisance of just flicking the switch every now and then. The problem is that they're too slow.

Thats why I havent spent the time fixing mine. Its easy enough to do a quick flick of the switch. I allways thought it was a cool idea how they made the one speed wipers work though. If only the main on speed was the same as a "high" speed setting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:54 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Rain X.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:33 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Funny how we are all different! I find the intermittent wipers just as annoying as anything. About 90% of the time it is either to slow or too fast so I have to keep adjusting it anyhow. I might as well just turn it on and off. Rarely am I in a drizzle that stays the same intensity for any amount of time. :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:21 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
These days movies are all in color department:

In the old days it never rained when driving up hill particularly at night so vacuum powered wipers worked fine just as 6volt sealed beams were capable of piercing the darkest of rainy nights. But, this climate change word we live in now has put the kibosh on those suckers supplying equal rain fall on both sides of the hill, necessitating death ray projector headlights and finite control of wiper velocity.

Woff, woff.

What was that Lassie?

Woff, woff, woff.

Timmy's Dad drives a Dodge pick-up with electric wipers?

Sorry folks not much sleep last night. Spent too much time looking for IH truck parts for another project.

Bill