Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:39 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Another ??
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:58 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Actually two questions.first-I have a dual field alt but only one is actually in use, the second which I have grounded actually is almost like a dummy plug. It has a plastic type insulation on it and its solid to the casing so my grounding it is pointless? How can I make this a dual as I want to use the Chrysler voltage regulator. Second is there a part number for an older-67-box style regulator with the updated internals? I'm working on a 67 dart with nothing electrical wise added just wanting to upgrade whats there. Hope I'm not confusing you guys. Thanks. Dean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:32 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
It sounds to me like you need a different brush holder to have. Specifically, you need another brush holder like the un-grounded one.

Point of order. "Dual field" alternators only have one field winding. They simply have both ends of the winding available for external connection. The older alternators also have one field winding and one end of the winding is grounded to the alternator case.

Most replacement voltage regulators for the older cars are electronic which some may consider an upgrade. You previously described your regulator as having a circuit board rather than coils. That is the electronic replacement for the points regulator.