Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:22 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Coil Help??
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:42 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
I, for the second time in 5 years have accidentally left on my ignition switch and the MSD Blaster coil blows the top out of it all over the engine compartment. :cry: So I decided to get a non oil filled coil to try and eliminate the messes that I make. I ordered a "universal" E-core coil from Summit SUM-850615 and it looks really nice except for I did not see that it is specifically for CD ignition boxes. So I have been looking at what to get and the more I look the more confusing it is to me. I looked at the MSD Blaster SS Coils 8207, but it says you must run a ballast resistor and I don't want that. So help me out here please.

I am running a Mopar distributor with HEI and I want an E core design with mounting bracket to put it on my fender. Should not be that hard!

Thanks!

PS. If you want to school me on why the CD coil will not work I'd be glad to learn. I suppose it has to do with how it is triggered? Thanks!

Last edited by Rick Covalt on Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:11 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
I used an e-core coil bracket from a late 90's GM truck. It has the coil and a place for a heat sink with the HEI module attached. You will have to grind out the fin closest to the module and grind the locating tabs off the module so it will lay flat.

1985 D250 360 46RH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:18 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
Okay, an ignition primer.

Kettering/Delco ignition: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delco_ignition_system

TLDR? With inductive ignition systems the ignition energy is stored in the coil's magnetic field and which then induces the high voltage in the secondary winding.

Capacitor discharge ignition: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor ... e_ignition

The capacitor stores the ignition energy. The capacitor is charged to a moderately high voltage and discharged through the ignition coil which acts as a transformer to further raise the voltage.

This doesn't meant that a CD coil won't work in an inductive application, but it is likely not optimized for such. I would go get an original Ford TFI or GM HEI coil and bracket for use with the HEI module.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:14 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Thanks Josh! That helped!

I also found an Ignition basics article by Jeff Smith of "Chevy High Performance" That explained a lot of things too!

I have the Ford coil coming!

Let's see! A ford coil, triggered by a GM HEI and a Mopar Distributor! I think I have all the bases covered! :lol: :lol:

Rick